Gaming Why are Macs really expensive?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
They are expensive because people will pay for the name on them. This isn't exclusive to just Apple, this is the entire market. There are countless products that can do the same, if not do better than the brand named products, but people don't buy them because they don't have the name. Just look at Samsung Galaxy phones, they are just standard Android phones with a custom GUI (honestly crap GUI if you really use it) slapped onto it and people play tons of money just for the Samsung Galaxy name.

HaloEffect17

Hiya!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So that's why they cost more than $1,000?
Yeah, it's the brand name for sure. Apple likes to keep its stuff proprietary just like Sony has its own Memory Stick Pros with inflated prices. In all fairness, Sony could have provided SD/microSD support, but they think they could make a few extra dollars doing it their way.

JUSTARANDOMPERSON

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They are expensive because people will pay for the name on them. This isn't exclusive to just Apple, this is the entire market. There are countless products that can do the same, if not do better than the brand named products, but people don't buy them because they don't have the name. Just look at Samsung Galaxy phones, they are just standard Android phones with a custom GUI (honestly crap GUI if you really use it) slapped onto it and people play tons of money just for the Samsung Galaxy name.
Marketing sounds unfair.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Sounds like a scam to me.
Take it from someone who works in Marketing, it's all just a scam. What retailers pay and manufacturing costs of products is grossly cheap, then grossly marked up because they know people will pay for it. The truth is, we are all just glorified con artists, selling you a product based purely on the name alone and not the quality nor real price of the product.
Marketing sounds unfair.
It is, trust me, I work it. People are sucked in with names and then hooked by sales people like me, who make you want to believe you are getting the best product. The truth is, most products are just the same product, re-branded and sold back for a lower price. The entire system is a scam, that's how marketing works.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Very high build quality, very appealing design, status associated item.
You could certainly use a good old Volkswagen for any useful thing you do with a Ferrari, so why does a Ferrari cost so much? (You may say it is design, speed, whatever but it is mostly status associated brand)
Other than that MacBook Pros are really well built, very compact, with outstanding battery life... Very good quality, just not for gaming, and overpriced.

Reactions: JUSTARANDOMPERSON

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Take it from someone who works in Marketing, it's all just a scam. What retailers pay and manufacturing costs of products is grossly cheap, then grossly marked up because they know people will pay for it. The truth is, we are all just glorified con artists, selling you a product based purely on the name alone and not the quality nor real price of the product.

It is, trust me, I work it. People are sucked in with names and then hooked by sales people like me, who make you want to believe you are getting the best product. The truth is, most products are just the same product, re-branded and sold back for a lower price. The entire system is a scam, that's how marketing works.
I know you can't reveal your company, but what industry i do you do marketing in?

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I know you can't reveal your company, but what industry is this that you market in?
Sales and retail, I am a sales person.
Also I work for Wal*Mart in the entertainment department, what I am not allowed to reveal is cost of marketing and how much we actually pay and how much it actually costs to make a product. As well other sensitive marketing information.
And before anyone goes, "Lol, Wal*Mart, what do you know?" You really don't know the information you can get away with when you are a manager in training :ninja:

Last edited by The Catboy,

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
There are of course exceptions in any company, but for the most part Macs are VERY nice. Are they overpriced? Sure. But if you don't know anything about computers, the knowledge that you're getting an OS praised for its ease and very nice hardware may be worth the extra money.

That and the brand name. ;)

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I can see you working at a trendy clothing store. :P

And yes, a Mac's true value is a lie. But they are well made at least; not total shit (looking at you, Beats).
I do worse actually, I sell electronics to people.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I feel like I can top that. I sell jewellery to people.
It's one thing to sell things that people needs (or can use). It's another to sell something that nobody needs.
Let's not forget the gross mark up on jewelry. Now that is the real highway robbery.

Reactions: Margen67

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: *yawn*