JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
The upgradable part is mainly in regards to desktop computers.

With mac laptops these days they seem to be producing more models where you can't even upgrade the ram as it is soldered directly to the main board.
With Yosemite, you can't even use TRIM on a SSD if it isn't made by Apple.

Edit: Never mind, they caved a month ago. You still have to enable it yourself, and they advise against it.

Last edited by JoostinOnline,
Reactions: Margen67

Seroczynski

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
With Yosemite, you can't even use TRIM on a SSD if it isn't made by Apple.
Damn, is this true? I already mentioned I had to replace the 5400RPM HDD that came with my GF's new iMac. Bought a Samsung 250GB EVO SSD since that would save me about €300 - €400 :rofl: compared to purchasing the same iMac with a pre-build-in SSD from Apple.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Damn, is this true? I already mentioned I had to replace the 5400RPM HDD that came with my GF's new iMac. Bought a Samsung 250GB EVO SSD since that would save me about €300 - €400 :rofl: compared to purchasing the same iMac with a pre-build-in SSD from Apple.
Never mind, looks like they finally made it less stupid with an update.

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
While I can install alternative software to load stuff onto an iPhone at home, I can't do that on my work computer. With my android phone I don't have to worry about having to install any additional programs to transfer files to it.
No. I installed PwnTunes on my iPhone. I can USB file transfer in Explorer on any computer without iTunes.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's not forget the gross mark up on jewelry. Now that is the real highway robbery.

How about discs that cost a buck or two to manufacture and package yet are sold for $60 a pop?

Or worse yet digital versions of the same that have no manufacturing cost at all yet sell for the same?

(blah blah costs for development yadda yadda, they still cost way more than they need to)

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Sorry for the bump, but don't you have to jailbreak for that? I believe you can only get that on Cydia.
Yes, you need jailbreak for that. Actually, you need jailbreak to do ANYTHING with an iPhone.

Phones from best to worst (in my opinion):

1. Jailbroken iPhone
2. Rooted Android
3. Stock Android
4. Windows
5. Nokia 3310
6. Stock iPhone

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Where does BlackBerry come in on that list?
Um, who the *expletive* even has a blackberry anymore? Even in the age where there was a $5/month premium for android and iPhone, it was like $15~20/month for a Blackberry. And with the OS updates to both, much of what made Blackberry phones special (such as Exchange mail server support) has since been done well on the other platforms.

With R.I.M. even giving up the tactile keyboard for their latest-gen blackberry phones, there really was no reason to consider them anymore. Only people who have one now probably only do because their work environment refuses to upgrade.

Reactions: Originality

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bought a rMBP for the wife last year. Why? Her company is not supplying laptops anymore and the last thing I need is yet another windows box to administer. With every fucking click Windows gets slower and slower. That cannot be denied. Sure you can spend your Saturday afternoons putzing with it and doing a complete wipe at least once a year. (At least a full day job). I haven't had to touch that MBP once in over a year. That is worth a lot to me. The only other laptop I have encountered like that is my kids ChromeBook.

How much is two year old Window laptop worth? nothing. A MBP will sell for at least half its original value especially if you still have a year of AppleCare on it.

Need tech support at 2am? Don't call GeekSquad. Ever tried to get help from "Randy" in Bangalore?

Not sure about the MacBooks but if a iPad or iPhone is not functioning properly and you walk into an Apple Store you are leaving with a functioning device be it yours or a refurb.

It is hard to put a price on these factors but some do and pay it.

Reactions: cearp

Zanoab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bought a rMBP for the wife last year. Why? Her company is not supplying laptops anymore and the last thing I need is yet another windows box to administer. With every fucking click Windows gets slower and slower. That cannot be denied. Sure you can spend your Saturday afternoons putzing with it and doing a complete wipe at least once a year. (At least a full day job). I haven't had to touch that MBP once in over a year. That is worth a lot to me. The only other laptop I have encountered like that is my kids ChromeBook.

How much is two year old Window laptop worth? nothing. A MBP will sell for at least half its original value especially if you still have a year of AppleCare on it.

Need tech support at 2am? Don't call GeekSquad. Ever tried to get help from "Randy" in Bangalore?

Not sure about the MacBooks but if a iPad or iPhone is not functioning properly and you walk into an Apple Store you are leaving with a functioning device be it yours or a refurb.

It is hard to put a price on these factors but some do and pay it.

I'm not sure about MBPs today but I have a mid-2010 15" MBP (one of the last models before retina took over and hardware was being locked down) and it still runs nicely as a slightly mobile workstation. The only thing I've had to do was remove the cover and blow away dust or upgrade it to 8GB of ram. The battery is shot (doesn't even last more than an hour anymore) but I don't really care since it spends most of its time docked on my desk or moved around the house.

As a programmer, it does the job a LOT better than Windows but not as great as Linux. The (mostly) flexible environment is more than enough to do what I need and more. Natively mount disk images (without third-party software), nice support for multiple desktops and monitors (without third-party software), it doesn't try showing off touch-enabled features to mouse users, and the trackpad is the best (and much more usable with Windows in a VM).

Games are hit and miss when the devs focus primarily on Windows. The ones that do put some effort into Mac work well enough and the devs that give the Mac version the same treatment as Windows really shine. If I had to choose between a "current-gen" console or a MBP, I'll go with the MBP every time.

Guinea

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because they are quality products that last a very long time (I had my old macbook for 5+ years until it eventaully got too old). PCs usually last a couple years then you cant update the software anymore and it just gets slow and laggy with viruses to the point were the computer dies... Also, macs hardly ever get viruses, that adds to the longevity of the mac lifespan and makes sense with the large pricetag.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because they are quality products that last a very long time (I had my old macbook for 5+ years until it eventaully got too old). PCs usually last a couple years then you cant update the software anymore and it just gets slow and laggy with viruses to the point were the computer dies... Also, macs hardly ever get viruses, that adds to the longevity of the mac lifespan and makes sense with the large pricetag.

You must be using a really shitty computer if it breaks down, stop getting Dell PCs and you're good ;O; I have two PCs, one is nearly eight years old and it's still running, so...argument invalidated. Oh and Macs are PCs, the only difference is the OS, that's it, okay and the Apple brand name (hence the price). Also, not true about the virus bit, Mac based-PCs can get viruses just as easily as a Windows-based PC. Any computer can last a long time if it's well taken care of, and every rig I've had has lasted more than three years, my laptop is on its forth year, one desktop is on its eighth and another one on its third, so.....yeah.

I think you're buying into the Apple-is-the-best-brand-and-nothing-else-is mentality marketing.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000737.htm

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/can-macs-get-viruses/

The only thing is that Windows is a more popular target, but to say OSX is 100% safe is a fallacy. Also note that you're only paying for the brand name, and sure, they are well built, there's no arguing that, but to say PCs can't be just as well built is a flawed argument. Dell is one of the most popular brands out there, but they're absolute garbage quality-wise and fail after a few years, but Asus, Acer and even HP last longer than that.

Reactions: Margen67

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
PCs usually last a couple years then you cant update the software anymore
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle
Windows XP
Released
25th October 2001
End of Support April 8, 2014

Vista (business version at least) 8 November 2006, home users got it in February the next year
End of Support
April 11, 2017

Windows 7
22 October 2009
End of support January 14, 2020

Windows 8
26 October 2012
January 10, 2023

and beyond that my fairly modest (if you ignore the second graphics card anyway) 2007 PC ( http://gbatemp.net/threads/new-pc-time.42858/ ), which by the way I ran into the ground from the point I built it and only finally kicked the bucket the other month (if you want I will look up the number of hours my hard drive was powered as that will be a good idea of how long it went for), would probably still be able to run Windows 8, it could certainly handle windows 7 (the UEFI stuff might have troubled it but I am not sure) but with the end of XP I decided to go Linux on that one. Now a machine built in 2001 is not going to handle things but that is somewhat besides the point.

Oh yeah support life cycle for OSX
OSX 10.6
August 28, 2009
Security updates stopped in September 2013, apparently it was still "supported" until February the next year.
OSX 10.7
July 20, 2011 if your machine could handle it and technically there were some 2006 X86 models that would have cost you $900 back then (about $1050 in today's money) that would not.
Unsupported from October 2014
10.8 (July 25, 2012) is now only security fixes, the end of support thing for MS above was security fixes only for the last few years though it was still 2009, 2012 and 2015 for XP, Vista and 7 for the end of new features part of that support which is still reasonably respectable).

Technically 10.9 (October 2013) is free for those on at least 10.6 and with hardware still capable of running it (the free thing was not unexpected but all those before were paid upgrades of various forms). but if you are going to make the length of support argument you ought to consider the facts.

amoulton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's sad that you're gonna choose live in a boxed in world blocking out true facts.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Of fucking course you can buy Laptops with the build quality of a mac. You can get the chromebook pixel or a razor laptop and pay the same large sum because. GOOD HARDWARE COSTS MONEY. FUCKING wah

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I was mad I was not included, I had bunch of cusswords I invented to use.
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    honestly remux is not worth it
    some bluray rips are kinda crappy, remuxes are a more safe bet, but i usually don't have trouble finding a good rip, there are certain groups to avoid and some to look out for
    @RedColoredStars netflix really is bad quality but some of the other streaming services aren't too bad. i think i've had good quality from disney+
    amazon seems decent enough
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Piracy is free, but my usenet subscription and the NASes I built to hold everything aren't :tpi: :rofl2:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol choosing disney+ over Netflix of course they cap tier quality per subscription
  • PandaPandel @ PandaPandel:
    hi peepls
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, All software should be free use tbh
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Throw in a ad or two I don't care as long as I can use it
  • PandaPandel @ PandaPandel:
    indeed
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    No ads please I'll pay for the software (or pirate it) 😭
    +1