Hacking Why all ISO size is around 4.5GB?

kosiko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi,

I tried to extract games from hard drive by WBFS manager 3.0.1. I extracted 4 games and all the ISO files are same size and around 4.5GB. Even the Wii sports which is actually 0.39GB, but use the extract ISO function will still generate a 4.5GB ISO file, can I know why and how to generate a real size ISO file? I can save a lot of space / time if I can get the accurate ISO file size.

Thanks

Kwartel

The fairest in all the land
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
kosiko said:
Hi,

I tried to extract games from hard drive by WBFS manager 3.0.1. I extracted 4 games and all the ISO files are same size and around 4.5GB. Even the Wii sports which is actually 0.39GB, but use the extract ISO function will still generate a 4.5GB ISO file, can I know why and how to generate a real size ISO file? I can save a lot of space / time if I can get the accurate ISO file size.

Thanks

Use Wiiscrubber 1.4 and then the trim-mode to delete the garbage data

FvKey

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
the iso file always will be 4.37 GB.
If you compress (rar, zip) the extracted game is going to have the real size without the garbage data.

JimmyG

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Actually noone explained WHY the iso is a full DVD-5
wink.gif

Well, here's the explanation: The Wii reads discs from the outside to the inside. Normal DVD drives (also dvd writers etc) work from the inside to the outside. So... If you have a Wii ISO from the outside to the inside and want to burn it from the inside to the outside you will have to have an ISO with the FULL capacity.

BTW: Gamecube used the same mechanism, except that it used Mini DVDs. That's why GC images are always 1.3GB in size.

I hope you got your answer.

djricekcn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Richy Freeway said:
JimmyG said:
The Wii reads discs from the outside to the inside.

Don't make things up.

He's making it up? I thought this was the case too, aka it works like a Dreamcast GD-Rom aka all games have dummy data so that the console can read the pressed data properly

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
djricekcn said:
Richy Freeway said:
JimmyG said:
The Wii reads discs from the outside to the inside.
Don't make things up.
He's making it up? I thought this was the case too, aka it works like a Dreamcast GD-Rom aka all games have dummy data so that the console can read the pressed data properly
The only thing they have in common is that they use CAV (constant angular velocity). This means that the disc will stay spinning with the same speed at all time. Normal CDs start to spin slower when the laser moves to the outside to get constant data speeds. Thats called CLV (constant linear velocity).
But the GC and wii discs do not read from out to in and do not spin backwards.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/sGvT5FKSiyk?si=TYqsdjjbF-4N8Xc8