Hacking Why add anti-piracy measures to Devolution ?

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think a lot of the people who are arguing in favor of the AP code in this thread don't use Steam.

Try reselling any game you ever bought on Steam. You can't. Why not?

I don't buy any secondhand games because the used game market helps keep the cost of new software for consoles artificially high.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
quite contrary
most sells of used games are for the express purpose of getting another game
(probably of the kind(platform,series,developer,...) they know they can probably sell again if the want)
Oh no, I'm talking retail still, where the publisher is still involved.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think a lot of the people who are arguing in favor of the AP code in this thread don't use Steam.

Try reselling any game you ever bought on Steam. You can't. Why not?

I don't buy any secondhand games because the used game market helps keep the cost of new software for consoles artificially high.

I use Steam, but the DRM isn't invasive like Devolution, I don't have to have physical copies of the game, nor do I need to have a working optical drive.

tmv_josue

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
yes, the seller now has a better idea of what kind of things he can sell an the money to buy more things
you argue that the shop would use the money to get more of that kind of games, I agree
but wouldn't that be true for a gamer looking to buy,play and then sell a game too
Can be but no one can ensure that, contrary to a shop where have to refill the product which has sold.
Certainly the second hand is detrimental in the profits of the companies who continue selling the product, imagine a group of friend who resell the games among themselves, when instead they had to purchase each one of the games for themselves, making more sales of it.

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use Steam, but the DRM isn't invasive like Devolution, I don't have to have physical copies of the game, nor do I need to have a working optical drive.
<rant>Plus, you can carry steam on a portable hard drive or flash drive, play it on any computer no problem. Devolution is more like the evil registry-based single computer software, and frankly, unless devolution A) open-sourced or B) cracked and released, I see no reason for it to exist. Software developers do not get money from the sale of used games, and more than likely, if the game is re-released, people will still buy it. Take windwaker for example, it will be released on the Wii U. I highly doubt sales would be hurt from people downloading the gamecube version. They have 2 other ways to load/play it (diosmios/dolphin), so that doesn't seem to be the problem. Also, I am fairly certain that if devolution did not have this so-called DRM, extracted/compressed iso's would be supported as well (hash sums to create the 'DRM-key').</rant>
Edit: Soon I will be uploading a video of a Wii, with a broken disk drive, unable to load retail disks or install devolution's 'key'. (not that Tueidj will care)

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
<rant>Plus, you can carry steam on a portable hard drive or flash drive, play it on any computer no problem. Devolution is more like the evil registry-based single computer software, and frankly, unless devolution A) open-sourced or B) cracked and released, I see no reason for it to exist. Software developers do not get money from the sale of used games, and more than likely, if the game is re-released, people will still buy it. Take windwaker for example, it will be released on the Wii U. I highly doubt sales would be hurt from people downloading the gamecube version. They have 2 other ways to load/play it (diosmios/dolphin), so that doesn't seem to be the problem. Also, I am fairly certain that if devolution did not have this so-called DRM, extracted/compressed iso's would be supported as well (hash sums to create the 'DRM-key').</rant>

You'd better not let Tudeidj and his minions see your opinion, he'll send his "DRMs-are-so-great-they're-orgasmic" squadron after you. :rofl2:

I'll stick to Dios Mios and wait for audio streaming to be implemented thank you.

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Devolution isn't in theory that hard to brute force. There are a maximum of 57,344 different keys (really not that many). (256*224). The first 32 bytes of the game are copied from the first 32 bytes of the disc as far as I can tell. Something just needs to be set up to run through all of the keys automatically.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Devolution isn't in theory that hard to brute force. There are a maximum of 57,344 different keys (really not that many). (256*224). The first 32 bytes of the game are copied from the first 32 bytes of the disc as far as I can tell. Something just needs to be set up to run through all of the keys automatically.
"key"? Who said anything about it using a set key? For all you know it could generate a unique key for each individual Wii based unique pieces of information from said Wii. And it probably does. And no idea where you got that pathetically low number of possible keys. Assuming 256-bit encryption (for no particularly obvious reason, other than you had 256 in your calculation), that'd be 2^256 keys. Which is 1.1579209 x 10^77 keys. Considerably more than you seem to think.

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"key"? Who said anything about it using a set key? For all you know it could generate a unique key for each individual Wii based unique pieces of information from said Wii. And it probably does. And no idea where you got that pathetically low number of possible keys. Assuming 256-bit encryption (for no particularly obvious reason, other than you had 256 in your calculation), that'd be 2^256 keys. Which is 1.1579209 x 10^77 keys. Considerably more than you seem to think.
By key, I mean the .DVV files that devolution generates for each game, on each wii (by default, they are hidden on windows computers). Each key file is only 256 bytes. The first 32 bytes are from the game itself, leaving 224 bytes of possible key, each with 256 (0x00-0xFF) values per byte. Granted it will still take a bit of time, but what are you gonna do when you have a broken optical drive?

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
By key, I mean the .DVV files that devolution generates for each game, on each wii (by default, they are hidden on windows computers). Each key file is only 256 bytes. The first 32 bytes are from the game itself, leaving 224 bytes of possible key, each with 256 (0x00-0xFF) values per byte. Granted it will still take a bit of time, but what are you gonna do when you have a broken optical drive?
The thing is, there exists more than one "key" that is valid for each game. Build a .dvv for a game, move it to your pc and build the same .dvv again. Both .dvv's differ from each other but they still work. What does this tell you?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://overclock3d.net/news/cases_cooling/cooler-master-had-multi-coloured-ai-cryofuze-5-thermal... +1