Hacking Why add anti-piracy measures to Devolution ?

air2004

Air
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why add anti-piracy measures to Devolution ?
Yes I understand the point of anti-piracy measures , but for a project such as this one it seems kind of odd for a few reasons.

Reasons to remove AP

1. The gamecube is old as hell .
2. Can you still buy new gamecube games from the store ? I don't know , but I don't think you can.
3. Will being able to play these old games on new hardware make you wanna go out and buy them ? I wouldn't think so.
4. Are they still releasing new titles for the gamecube ? I don't know
5. Removing the protection may actually get people to buy hardware they otherwise wouldn't.

D

Deleted-185407

The developer of a game may decide to re-release their game on a modern platform in the future. If there was a means of playing their game at the moment without you purchasing it, then that's a potential sale lost for that developer.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Reasons:
1) tueidj doesn't want his work used for illegal activity.
2) It doesn't matter how old the GC is, that doesn't make piracy okay.
3) Because it's his work and he can do whatever he wants with it.

As I said in another thread (which got closed), just enjoy this breakthrough. It's an amazing accomplishment. GC USB loading without having to install anything.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's Tueidj's program and he can do whatever the hell he wants. If he wanted you to type in the Konami code to continue then either do that or gtfo.

His opinions obviously differ from yours.

Edit: And mushguy, you better not that I am sucking up to the developer of the program... I don't even know who he is other than previous work. I don't post on the temp that often (to care about my reputation) nor do I care if he see's anything I say. My only motivation for posting is because I hate when people feel their opinions are worth more than the developer of the program. Anti-Piracy measures have been around since the beginning of time, I think Tueidj has had more than enough time to decide his stance.

Reactions: 4 people

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
His efforts to enforce anti-piracy are wasted anyway, when someone who wanted to download gamecube games could just use DIOS MIOS instead.
To be clear though I certainly don't disagree with the stance, but imagine if Dolphin-emulator tried to enforce something such as this. The project would be immediately less popular as a result.

g4jek8j54

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I really think that this discussion is pointless, considering that if you want to pirate GameCube games, then you can just use DIOS-MIOS. While I can understand some of the arguments for not having the anti-piracy (mainly that the GameCube is a dead system), it is tueidj's program, and he can design it however he wants. As stated above, perhaps he does not want his work to be used as a warez loader. If you want a program similar to Devolution, without the anti-piracy, then program it yourself.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I really think that this discussion is pointless, considering that if you want to pirate GameCube games, then you can just use DIOS-MIOS. While I can understand some of the arguments for not having the anti-piracy (mainly that the GameCube is a dead system), it is tueidj's program, and he can design it however he wants. As stated above, perhaps he does not want his work to be used as a warez loader. If you want a program similar to Devolution, without the anti-piracy, then program it yourself.
Pretty much how I feel about this.
I respect the software author's decisions and all, but people are just going to turn elsewhere as a result.

Reactions: Margen67

air2004

Air
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because of dios-mios , I'm not really sure what the point of tueidj's program . Now if it came with classic controller support already , then maybe I could understand.

The whole point of me posting this , is for all those that would like to rant about the AP , as for me , I think the gamecube is garbage and I already use dios mios , even though I dont really play with the wii any more .
I believe I have posted somewhere around here about how piracy can be a good thing. ( I know you don't think it can be )

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Because of dios-mios , I'm not really sure what the point of tueidj's program . Now if it came with classic controller support already , then maybe I could understand.

Devolution supports classic controller compatability (IRC). BUt more importantly it does audio streaming which means HI IKARUGA SOUND EFFECTS!

Reactions: 1 person

Bryzian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The source for the loader was also released, was it not? Just take out the anti-piracy and call it a day. It shouldn't be that difficult to do.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Keep this civil, guys. It's perfectly fine to discuss on Devolution's AP (even if it's a pretty useless argument anyway, as tueidj won't change his mind because of this), as long as everyone remains polite.

D

Deleted-185407

The source for the loader was also released, was it not? Just take out the anti-piracy and call it a day. It shouldn't be that difficult to do.
The only source code that was released was sample code on how to execute the loader.bin file. All that source code does is set up some configurations and loads loader.bin into memory and executes it as a function. Loader.bin contains the shellcode for the important parts, and for the majority of people here, that's pretty much unreadable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end