Homebrew Who wants Duke Nukem 3D (JFDuke?) on the DSi?

Would you like to play Duke Nukem 3D on DSi, in a version with good quality graphics and sound?

• Yes, certainly, I have always dreamed of it and I can't wait!

Votes: 36 90.0%
  • No. I don't care. Duke is too vulgar and violent. And it's too difficult for me. I'm not up to it.

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
added a new build to the git repository. It fixes some of the sound issues

Test on the latest build
Good job. Now the sound is good, as it should be. And I haven't encountered any slowdowns so far.
The saves work, and so does loading them.
The rifle, however, strangely has a wrong, screeching sound. The other effects need to be verified.

Couldn't you make it so that the fourth episode (Atomic Edition) could also be played?

Edit: Now the touch screen also works and I can direct the view with the stylus! I can set left shoulder to shoot, right/left Dpad to strafe, up/down Dpad to go forward and backward.
Wonderful !

Edit2: The touch screen is too sensitive and fast. The mouse-sensivity slider is already almost all the way to the left; the last position to the left disables it. It needs to be fixed.

The Y button cannot be set from the game menu. Who knows...

Edit3: The default volume is too low, and if you turn it up in the game menu, nothing changes.
If you turn on "ambience" in the sound menu, the game freezes during the roar of an airplane. Some sound effects (e.g. some explosions) are inaudible.

Last thing. The character turns left/right too fast even with the Dpad. It is difficult to aim at enemies; even with short touches the weapon moves too much. There seems to be no auto-aim, present in other Duke3d ports.

All in all, it is already excellently playable. The most serious issues are the bad sound of the rifle and overly responsive controls.

Last edited by Nikokaro,
Reactions: CrashMidnick

JhulkerCraft

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Yes, now the only thing left to fix is the sound of the shotgun, that the fourth episode of the atomic edition works and the sensitivity of the buttons and the touch screen

Reactions: Nikokaro

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yes, now the only thing left to fix is the sound of the shotgun, that the fourth episode of the atomic edition works and the sensitivity of the buttons and the touch screen
Well said, lad! Remember to vote in the poll as we need to sweep out the nay votes. 😉

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
@elhobbs
I tested your version on DS Lite and it is working :)

Saves are working too. Of course, due to memory allocation changes, graphics get corrupt at some point. FPS have dropped but not that much :)

JhulkerCraft

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
You also need the keyboard on the screen below to name the saves and be able to change objects or even use cheats

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I added a new build to git. fixed some sound issues (hopefully) and added support for both 8 and 16 bit sounds. minimal testing on my part, but the shotgun seems to sound correct now
Very, very good. The sound effects seem to be fixed. I downloaded your .cfg file and the commands set are very confortable. I just don't know how to scroll the items.
I changed the brightness and image size and exiting the game, it saves the changes, as you said.
It's really true, all it took was your expert touch and this port is a whole different thing than before. Kudos.

It remains to fix the issue of episode 4 not being playable. And I reiterate the difficulty in aiming the enemy, since even with short taps on the Dpad the weapon moves too much. This is a glaring defect: this creates great difficulties playing it. Regarding this, I would like to hear other opinions.

Important update: there is an issue with loading saves.
I have two saved positions, if I load the first one the game freezes. If I load the second one, it resumes but after a while it freezes. Other times it loads normally. It would seem to happen if you save in a place where the graphics are rich in elements (this is just a speculation).

Last edited by Nikokaro,

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
About add-on episodes

Being yours truly, I couldn't resist trying to play certain famous add-ons (expansions) with Duke3d.nds. Guess what the result was?
Terrible!!!

So. I couldn't find the original instructions for using ms-dos command lines, but Eduke32 for windows uses this syntax to launch user episodes: "/g /x /h" (to launch .grp, .con and .def files, respectively).
In contrast, Eduke32 for 3ds uses this syntax: "-g -x -h".

I, to leave no stone unturned, tried both. e.g. to launch dukeDC (Duke It out in D.C.) I used this string: " duke3d.nds /gduke3d/dukeDC.grp /xduke3d/dukeDC.con" where duke3d/ is the folder containing the add-on files.
Of course I launched the argv file with TWL (for me with hbmenu it crashes) and it reads it and duke3d.nds starts, but the internal console does not detect and load the add-on files, only the main ones.

I have used the same string but substituting "-" for "/" but with the same negative result. I also tried leaving a space between /g and the folder name. No luck.
I don't understand why no method works...
@elhobbs at this point, only you can solve this mystery.

Reactions: Tarmfot

elhobbs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
About add-on episodes

Being yours truly, I couldn't resist trying to play certain famous add-ons (expansions) with Duke3d.nds. Guess what the result was?
Terrible!!!

So. I couldn't find the original instructions for using ms-dos command lines, but Eduke32 for windows uses this syntax to launch user episodes: "/g /x /h" (to launch .grp, .con and .def files, respectively).
In contrast, Eduke32 for 3ds uses this syntax: "-g -x -h".

I, to leave no stone unturned, tried both. e.g. to launch dukeDC (Duke It out in D.C.) I used this string: " duke3d.nds /gduke3d/dukeDC.grp /xduke3d/dukeDC.con" where duke3d/ is the folder containing the add-on files.
Of course I launched the argv file with TWL (for me with hbmenu it crashes) and it reads it and duke3d.nds starts, but the internal console does not detect and load the add-on files, only the main ones.

I have used the same string but substituting "-" for "/" but with the same negative result. I also tried leaving a space between /g and the folder name. No luck.
I don't understand why no method works...
@elhobbs at this point, only you can solve this mystery.
I have not tried this myself but the code says /g must be last on the command line. And there is no space after /g and before the file name. So try /x then /g instead

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I have not tried this myself but the code says /g must be last on the command line. And there is no space after /g and before the file name. So try /x then /g instead
Mmmm....I just tried that way with Penthouse (yeah, that's the one 🤣) Paradise addon but it doesn't work: in the lower screen you can see that it doesn't load the addon files. Loading the .con file should change the name of an episode in the menu, but that doesn't happen: I tried the three episodes anyway, and they are the usual ones.

elhobbs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mmmm....I just tried that way with Penthouse (yeah, that's the one 🤣) Paradise addon but it doesn't work: in the lower screen you can see that it doesn't load the addon files. Loading the .con file should change the name of an episode in the menu, but that doesn't happen: I tried the three episodes anyway, and they are the usual ones.
Maybe try relative instead of absolute path? Put the files in the same folder as the nds file and only put the file name in the parameters. I am not sure if this matters but I would use the exact case sensitive file name as it appears on your sd card.

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Maybe try relative instead of absolute path? Put the files in the same folder as the nds file and only put the file name in the parameters. I am not sure if this matters but I would use the exact case sensitive file name as it appears on your sd card.
I put duke3d, pp.con, pp.grp in the root of the SD and typed in argv file: "duke3d.nds /xpp.con /gpp.grp." No luck. I launched the argv file with TWLMenu and when it loads the main files in the lower screen it does not detect the addon files. Same thing if I put all of them in one same folder.

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If we can't play the expansions this way, we just have to use the prehistoric method of merging the main grp with the addon grp via e.g. GRPStudio or other old win95/win98 tool...Lol.

P.S. Changing the subject, I confirm and reiterate the problem of loading saves: the game freezes either immediately or after the first sound effect heard. It happens when you turn the console off and then on, but not if you load during the same game.

Last edited by Nikokaro,

elhobbs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If we can't play the expansions this way, we just have to use the prehistoric method of merging the main grp with the addon grp via e.g. GRPStudio or other old win95/win98 tool...Lol.

P.S. Changing the subject, I confirm and reiterate the problem of loading saves: the game freezes either immediately or after the first sound effect heard. It happens when you turn the console off and then on, but not if you load during the same game.
I will take a look at the command line issue. In regards to hanging with first sound when loading a save - I am not seeing the issue myself. I have a save file that I was using to test the shotgun sound and I was loading this on a cold boot without issue. I will see if I can reproduce the issue.

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
... I will see if I can reproduce the issue.
Try saving to three slots in three different locations. Then reset the DSi and starting the game, load the saves. For me it crashes on the "loading" text or just beyond it.

Edit: The file that contains the save data is duke3d.tmp, or am I wrong?
I reconfirm this issue by saving in the other slots as well. If it can load, it freezes on the first shot. Could it be that the save file got corrupted?

Last edited by Nikokaro,

elhobbs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try saving to three slots in three different locations. Then reset the DSi and starting the game, load the saves. For me it crashes on the "loading" text or just beyond it.

Edit: The file that contains the save data is duke3d.tmp, or am I wrong?
I reconfirm this issue by saving in the other slots as well. If it can load, it freezes on the first shot. Could it be that the save file got corrupted?
I still cant reproduce this issue.
for me save games are going to the root of my sd card.
/game0.sav
/game1.sav
/game1.sav

I believe the duke3d.tmp file is the autosave file. Can you make sure you have the latest nds file? and maybe backup your save files then delete the copies on the sd card and create new save files using the newest nds file and see if you still have the issue?

which version of duke nukem 3d are you using?

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
which version of duke nukem 3d are you using?
Atomic Edition found at archive (dot) org.

I will do as you say: delete the save files and that .tmp file and see what happens. Of course, the .nds file was already the last one; the one that changes the weapons with the touch screen. 😉

Could it be because I changed some options (brightness, volume, ambience)? As soon as I can I will re-download the latest version without changing any options.

UPDATE: The problem seems to be solved since I copied the .cfg file again. I think it was due to some parameter I had altered: the enlarged image (unlikely) or the sound volume (likely) which wasn't working anyway.

Last edited by Nikokaro,

JhulkerCraft

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I discovered that the Y button can be configured and to do so you have to put in the configuration file from DSOrganize, PC or Phone the action you want it to do put Escape

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/A2A_5pZ2lU4?si=AAMVdptPM4tD-umZ