Who hosts GBAtemp?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 6,521
  • Replies 55
D

Deleted User

OP
Who hosts GBAtemp and how much does it cost? I have been looking for a new host.

How much space and bandwidth do you get? Do you have VPS/Dedicated server? How do you get the money to keep this going?

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
TeenDev said:
Shuny said:
TeenDev said:
shaunj66 said:
GBAtemp is hosted on its own powerful dedicated server at OVH in France. OVH are very good hosts, but are based in France, while they do have English portals and web interfaces, you might want to look into a host that's based in the USA if that's where you're from.

Our hosting isn't cheap (over 100 EUROS / 160 USD) a month, but we have unlimited bandwidth and complete access to the server.

The hosting is paid for by our Recommended Sites on the portal who in exchange get those little banner ads in various places, but they are so small barely anyone even notices them. They fund our hosting, taxes, shipping, other bills and more. Although, this hasn't always been the case and not too long ago everything was paid for out of our own pockets.

(...)

This is basically just like Kojote's reason for creating a news site. (PDroms)

You'll fail. Your site will not have any visitor. Believe me, I've made a lot of websites, even a DS portal like you.

I get 2-5 new users a day, so suck it.
tongue.gif
I wish you good luck with your site then.

Diablo1123

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
TeenDev said:
Shuny said:
TeenDev said:
shaunj66 said:
GBAtemp is hosted on its own powerful dedicated server at OVH in France. OVH are very good hosts, but are based in France, while they do have English portals and web interfaces, you might want to look into a host that's based in the USA if that's where you're from.

Our hosting isn't cheap (over 100 EUROS / 160 USD) a month, but we have unlimited bandwidth and complete access to the server.

The hosting is paid for by our Recommended Sites on the portal who in exchange get those little banner ads in various places, but they are so small barely anyone even notices them. They fund our hosting, taxes, shipping, other bills and more. Although, this hasn't always been the case and not too long ago everything was paid for out of our own pockets.

(...)

This is basically just like Kojote's reason for creating a news site. (PDroms)

You'll fail. Your site will not have any visitor. Believe me, I've made a lot of websites, even a DS portal like you.

I get 2-5 new users a day, so suck it.
tongue.gif
Just wondering, how many returning users?

TheWingless

Wafuu~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Diablo1123 said:
Just wondering, how many returning users?
I didn't return... I only signed up for this one homebrew that I can't remember that was on the homebrew news here. But I might be back because there might be another one I have to download.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Best way to get people to your site: Host ROMs.
GBAtemp would not be this popular today if we didn't host ROMs early in our life.
yaynds.gif

IPB and vBulletin charge you no matter what, I'm sure of it. A little text logo on the bottom of the screen is definitely not a sufficient advertisement. However, you can use the trial version but it has limited features and plain sucks.

And did you guys switch hosts yesterday when the site was down? What was that all about?

D

Deleted User

OP
they switched servers cos the plan changed to 1/3 of their current price.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
You misunderstood, and I miscalculated also. Our new server is similar to our old one (except for the OS) and it's 1/4 cheaper. It doesn't mean in any way that it costs 1/4 (or 1/3) of the previous server price.
It's a minor economy, but still useful for our little plan (tba soon).

Also, the reason why we switched servers was because the previous one was unstable.
It kept crashing at random times, for no apparent reason (I checked the various configuration files, logs, everything - and I had them checked also by other people, including a professional) that is why I often had to reboot it.
The new one seems a lot more stable, that's just what we were looking for.

D

Deleted User

OP
Costello said:
You misunderstood, and I miscalculated also. Our new server is similar to our old one (except for the OS) and it's 1/4 cheaper. It doesn't mean in any way that it costs 1/4 (or 1/3) of the previous server price.
It's a minor economy, but still useful for our little plan (tba soon).

Also, the reason why we switched servers was because the previous one was unstable.
It kept crashing at random times, for no apparent reason (I checked the various configuration files, logs, everything - and I had them checked also by other people, including a professional) that is why I often had to reboot it.
The new one seems a lot more stable, that's just what we were looking for.

What OS did you have on the old one?

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
We were running Debian 4.0 final, 64 bits. Ah, well.. this is all behind us now.
We're now running CentOS 5.1 with Plesk 8.4 final. Running smooth
smile.gif

D

Deleted User

OP
Cent OS is definitely the best OS for servers. I have that running on mine and it has been stable and online for 80 days
biggrin.gif

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
TeenDev said:
Cent OS is definitely the best OS for servers. I have that running on mine and it has been stable and online for 80 days
biggrin.gif

So you've only been running one server OS and you claim that it is "definitely the best" ?
I've been working under Fedora Core 4, 5, 6; Debian, CentOS, Gentoo...
and I've had problems with all OS's (no problem under CentOS so far). That's probably what you get for having a 2 GB big database.

D

Deleted User

OP
I have also had servers running on Gentoo, openSUSE, Ubuntu, and Fedora 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

I have had major problems with Fedora and Gentoo.

openSUSE and Ubuntu were pretty stable with a few problems from Ubuntu though.

Shuny

I'm in yr forum, reading yr postz
Trophies
Website
www.shunyweb.info
XP
Country
France
Costello said:
TeenDev said:
biggrin.gif
So you've only been running one server OS and you claim that it is "definitely the best" ?
I've been working under Fedora Core 4, 5, 6; Debian, CentOS, Gentoo...
and I've had problems with all OS's (no problem under CentOS so far). That's probably what you get for having a 2 GB big database.
Why are you so aggressive ?
blink.gif

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Shuny: not aggressive, just asking - and I got my answer.
I've also worked under Ubuntu, Slackware, Backtrack (2), and Mandriva but for desktop stuff, not for a server usage.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Finally there are people here