Who hosts GBAtemp?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 6,507
  • Replies 55
D

Deleted User

OP
Who hosts GBAtemp and how much does it cost? I have been looking for a new host.

How much space and bandwidth do you get? Do you have VPS/Dedicated server? How do you get the money to keep this going?

D

Deleted User

OP
I don't like godaddy, they won't let me pay with PayPal balence or eCheck

gizmo_gal

QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
St_konker said:
Some of the cheapest webhosting with great customer service would be GoDaddy in my opinion
In my experience as a consumer of products and services of all sorts, I have found one thing to be constantly true; if the ad campaign includes sexual innuendo's of any sort, then the product is sub par at best. If a company cant sell their product on quality and effectiveness alone, then don't trust them. Period.

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
kevenka said:
If I remember correctly, didn't GBAtemp join up with gamefaqs and other companies?

rofl that was an April Fools joke
tongue.gif
Get with the times
biggrin.gif

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
GBAtemp is hosted on its own powerful dedicated server at OVH in France. OVH are very good hosts, but are based in France, while they do have English portals and web interfaces, you might want to look into a host that's based in the USA if that's where you're from.

Our hosting isn't cheap (over 100 EUROS / 160 USD) a month, but we have unlimited bandwidth and complete access to the server.

The hosting is paid for by our Recommended Sites on the portal who in exchange get those little banner ads in various places, but they are so small barely anyone even notices them. They fund our hosting, taxes, shipping, other bills and more. Although, this hasn't always been the case and not too long ago everything was paid for out of our own pockets.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its silly for you to create yet another DS news portal (that makes what, 30 now?), that all post almost identical news.

Find something more useful to do with your time.

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
Its silly for you to create yet another DS news portal (that makes what, 30 now?), that all post almost identical news.

Find something more useful to do with your time.
You can't top GBAtemp.
tongue.gif

Why not help contribute to GBAtemp's User-Submitted news and User-submitted Scene releases?

D

Deleted User

OP
shaunj66 said:
GBAtemp is hosted on its own powerful dedicated server at OVH in France. OVH are very good hosts, but are based in France, while they do have English portals and web interfaces, you might want to look into a host that's based in the USA if that's where you're from.

Our hosting isn't cheap (over 100 EUROS / 160 USD) a month, but we have unlimited bandwidth and complete access to the server.

The hosting is paid for by our Recommended Sites on the portal who in exchange get those little banner ads in various places, but they are so small barely anyone even notices them. They fund our hosting, taxes, shipping, other bills and more. Although, this hasn't always been the case and not too long ago everything was paid for out of our own pockets.

oh wow. that's cheaper than I thought. Usually dedicated servers cost between $300 - $600/mo.

@ everyone else asking about why I made "yet another site", its because:

a: No offense but GBAtemp kind of sucks on the homebrew news front, half of it usually stolen from other sites anyway it seems. (Sorry for being so rough on that).

b: Most news sites are updated by 1 or 2 people, and they sort of fall apart if they go on vacation or something. Mine is Open Source so ANYONE can post news.

c: I was tired of news sites being clogged up stupid product advertisements, or nds scene release lists.

d: I wanted one that was friendly to developers.

e: I wanted to create a complete homebrew database.

f: I wanted to fill the gap for the people who relied on Moddz or MaxConsole, as they have sadly died with no hope of coming back.

g: I was tired of my news being ignored on GBAtemp.

This is basically just like Kojote's reason for creating a news site. (PDroms)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I will not say do not make another site but some of your points reasons seem to be directed at here and I would not say they are entirely valid.

a) Sure we all look at the other sites/forums (unless the dev or someone posts/sends a link here) before posting but wholesale copying does not get done (aside from changelogs but that is what they are there for) and I fail to see how the former is not "journalism".

b) Perhaps not relevant to here as there are several magazine staff and all the other staff can and do post.
There is also the submitted news section and rom hacking/dev section which people (read anybody) seem happy to post news in.

c) Release lists, I can see why some people do not like them but product ads are not a feature here (new/upcoming releases, reviews, rereviews and software updates). Should you so desire you can stick them right down the bottom of the portal though.

d) Perhaps owing to part of c) and perhaps owing to the fact that although there are some seriously technically minded people here the community as a whole lacks the in depth knowledge of GBA/DS dev that places like palib, gbadev and dev-fr possess (and I dare say you will face the same "problem").
This being said no dev (unless their site had roms or something) has been asked to leave and any dev that wants can post here and will be welcomed like any other member.

e) Go for it, if you can please add a tarball or something (including random libraries some use if possible) of the source code if available. Trying to remake libraries

f) No need for a comment.

g) This one is a tough one, news posts on the portal try to be relevant to the community at large so stuff like a new 3d library will get posted but in the rom hacking/dev section or the submitted news and that seems to work OK.

@"powweb" I will leave it to those who were at the front of it (Costello had a bunch of posts on the subject) but towards the end they did not exactly perform.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Ya shaun underestimated the price we pay for the server (I pay it myself so I should know) the actual price is 160€ which is $250.
We're going to switch servers soon: same server, but cheaper. OVH upgraded their plans and now you can get the same server for like 1/3 cheaper

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr