Hacking Who hasn't yet installed arm9loaderhax? Why?

Why?

• Total voters

Pecrow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you guys for the really fast help, Installing menuhax (took me about 4 tries) but It worked not :) and you were correct, just 1 single file left, and it stated that it completed the downgrade, is it safe to continue?

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why August?
I *did* try doing it myself, but I couldn't make small enough solder beads. I'll be on vacation, so won't be able to send it to a professional modder till August, but I'm hoping a computer repair shop in vegas or LA will be willing to do it sooner.

Lucidioebb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did the process yesterday without any problem. After a little research, lot of reading, some questions in this forum and understanding what you´re doing it´s very easy to do the switch. My formal configuration was rxtools with emunand. This is by far better.

vb_encryption_vb

That hardmod guy....
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I *did* try doing it myself, but I couldn't make small enough solder beads. I'll be on vacation, so won't be able to send it to a professional modder till August, but I'm hoping a computer repair shop in vegas or LA will be willing to do it sooner.
Keep in mind there is a high chance local shops will not know where to install or route wiring, test, etc.

ishygdaft

A mystery wrapped in an enigma
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I installed a9lh to a red o3ds the other day, everything worked first try. Was a wonderful experience. Emunand9, decrypt9, the 9.2 downgrade, the 2.1 downgrade. Easiest time I've had installing it on any system.

dannyboy941

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I did reinstall it(TWL_FIRM any other modifications of EMUnand that i did) and 2x format it and 2x with tiny format and then i use the tools from the Guide Page after the downgrade was complete shows on OTP Helper both is Failed. Then i saw with GodMod that missing 0004013800000102(TWL_FIRM) alltime idk why that so is.(That result as Black Screen of Death if even sd card not in for me later as an Softbrick if i do with copy emunand to Nand on OTP Helper).

I use O3ds on EmuNand is version 11.x EU my very begin version was FW 3.0 EU

Last edited by dannyboy941,

Waywatcher

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
A9LH sounds great and if I was going to buy a 3DS system I would probably install it.

Here's the thing: I already have a Gateway card with an 8 GB microSD card which is great for playing games in .3ds format. Just drag-and-drop the file and you're good to go. Furthermore, I also have access to the Homebrew launcher using Menuhax so I also have the option of using RxTools for installing games in .cia format or play Virtual Consol games, even GBA titles.

Is A9LH safer? Yes, but I'm not a newbie so believe me when I say that I will never "accidentally" update my 2DS.
Is A9LH faster? Yes. Coldbooting into Gateway through the HBL takes about 35 seconds, which is (I guess) 25 seconds slower? I think I'll survive...
Even though it is free, switching to A9LH would probably mean that I would have to buy a new SD card since my 4 GB card wouldn't be able to hold that many games.

I would be interested if it allowed me to boot into Gateway mode in an easy way, but from what I've read so far it seems to be quite a hassle.

Reactions: ldeveraux

jamsplodge

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
A9LH sounds great and if I was going to buy a 3DS system I would probably install it.

Here's the thing: I already have a Gateway card with an 8 GB microSD card which is great for playing games in .3ds format. Just drag-and-drop the file and you're good to go. Furthermore, I also have access to the Homebrew launcher using Menuhax so I also have the option of using RxTools for installing games in .cia format or play Virtual Consol games, even GBA titles.

Is A9LH safer? Yes, but I'm not a newbie so believe me when I say that I will never "accidentally" update my 2DS.
Is A9LH faster? Yes. Coldbooting into Gateway through the HBL takes about 35 seconds, which is (I guess) 25 seconds slower? I think I'll survive...
Even though it is free, switching to A9LH would probably mean that I would have to buy a new SD card since my 4 GB card wouldn't be able to hold that many games.

I would be interested if it allowed me to boot into Gateway mode in an easy way, but from what I've read so far it seems to be quite a hassle.
It's not a hassle at all. Get Gateway's arm9loaderhax.bin file. Assign it to a button for boot up using Luma3DS and boot into Gateway mode directly. Easy peasy.

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
Furthermore, I also have access to the Homebrew launcher using Menuhax so I also have the option of using RxTools for installing games in .cia format or play Virtual Consol games, even GBA titles.

1) You can access HBL via a CIA version of HBL with a9lh, plus have access to other cfw, if needed using payloads on boot, etc.

2) It's safer because it has firm write protection by default (luma cfw) so the partitions that update the version areas are not touched. You have Arm9 access on boot, so nand restores are possible before any OS is booted via Decrypt 9/Hourglass. People only balls up if they don't follow instructions correctly when following the P's guide and the risk of bricking is very low.

3) It's faster and you can have GW coldboot from a payload button config i.e hold down on boot for GW. More superior than HBL/menuhax methods.

4) A 128gb is more than enough to store the current best 3DS titles and more, plus keep your current SD for GW. I own a 128GB internal card for CIA installs and the rest plus a 32GB card for GW, etc.

Reactions: GilgameshArcher

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would I bother doing it? I have CFW run through a Menuhax Boot. Which succeeds more than it fails for me. And even if it didn't, I hardly ever turn my 3DS off.

So instead of being perfectly okay with my 3DS, why would I risk another downgrade, and other *more* complicated steps just so I can boot into my CFW instantly?

1-2 Minutes of booting (Assuming boots fail) is a much more manageable thing to me instead of potentially bricking my 3DS doing things that are much more difficult than just Downgrading once, and installing a CFW which literally has no chance of bricking once you're past the downgrade.

The fact that people would put their 3DS' in risk just for booting straight to CFW instantly instead of potentially waiting 1 - 2 minutes is past beyond me.

That being said, if there's ever a A9LH feature that can't be done on CFW and it's substantial, I may consider it. But for faster booting? No way.
1. sysNAND brick protection
2. FIRM write protection blocked. emuNAND/redNAND has the potential to accidentally update sysNAND. Usually user error, but I have heard some situations where they checked everything and sysNAND was still updated instead. With A9LH, you can have an updated sysNAND and still be able to run arm9 kernel exploits, meaning you can just use CFW on sysNAND or if you use emuNAND you won't have to worry about accidentally updating the sysNAND and removing your CFW functionality and being on a firmware that can't support downgrading. And while installing

A9LH has the chance to brick, but so does downgrading. The chance is just so small now that we haven't seen a brick that wasn't caused by user error (usually they try to fix a minor issue themselves and do something wrong). As long as you can read and follow instructions no part of it ever even feels dangerous. The guide holds your hand through the entire process, and most of the apps we use have built in measures to make sure you don't do something stupid. If you do everything correctly the most dangerous part is probably the downgrading at this point, as more people encounter problems downgrading than they do with the actuall OTP dump and A9LH install.

Reactions: GilgameshArcher

OldGlass

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Already did because setting up A9LH is the first big exploit I set up on my N3DS

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It also was the first exploit I was introduced to and what got me on this site

snk4ever

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I haven't installed because reading some documentation, it said Korean 3DSs are not supported.
I am still running 4.5 + emunand and a Gateway card. Is there anything better I can switch to ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Archie: Eat my shorts peeps :tpi::evil::tpi: :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2: