Who actually cares about graphics and framerates?

Who actually cares about graphics and framerates?

• Total voters

Robert Newbie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You saved yourself... its just a moment of nostalgia of wanting to go back to our childhood setup, but after that spell goes off, you realize its a waste of time, space, etc hahaha.
Like you said, convenience is the most important thing, the fact we can have pretty much any console on a PC with the best possible image quality that is HDMI is a blessing. Of course older games will look pixelated due to the HD resolution of the monitors, but you get used to it i guess? i mean "pixel art" is a thing today lol
I appreciate this. I have felt like I've been missing out on a CRT-TV fellowship, but the reality is that I'd only be able to use it here and there.

Artstyle > Graphics.

It all depends on how the game is made and how the artstyle works with it.
This is a good point. Especially in the Gamecube/PS2/Xbox days, games were allowed to be visually "weak" if the artstyle elevated the gameplay, framerate, and overall presentation.

Reactions: TheCryOfHatred

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I appreciate this. I have felt like I've been missing out on a CRT-TV fellowship, but the reality is that I'd only be able to use it here and there.

This is a good point. Especially in the Gamecube/PS2/Xbox days, games were allowed to be visually "weak" if the artstyle elevated the gameplay, framerate, and overall presentation.
I mean look at a game like Undertale. It looks like it's on a zx spectrum. Obviously design choice and it makes them game work great!

DavidinCT

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's say to a point. Like I was playing BOTW on the Switch, and with battle areas, I was getting bad slow down, where it looked like it was under 15fps for a point till the battle was done. This happens a lot on the Switch hardware. This makes everything in the game, not run as it should. This is kind of unacceptable to me. A modern game should maintain a solid frame rate. So, the game plays as it should. Slow down like this when in fast action or many people/bad guys are on the screen is really bad.

I do get it, this happened on the N64 with Mairo 64 back the day, we didn't care, it was a 3D Mario and that was awesome but, today we kind of expect a minimum quality with new software.

No question but, it is pretty sweet seeing a modern game play at 120hz and very, very smooth. It is pretty awesome. I do not expect that on every game though.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Artstyle > Graphics.

It all depends on how the game is made and how the artstyle works with it.
100% agreed. I would take graphics like like Zelda BotW/TotK over hyperrealistic graphics any day. They look so vibrant, vivid and beautiful. Realistic graphics just don't have the same wow factor because you have no freedom to experiment or try new things, all you can do is make minor incremental improvements on what came before.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Robert Newbie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
100% agreed. I would take graphics like like Zelda BotW/TotK over hyperrealistic graphics any day. They look so vibrant, vivid and beautiful. Realistic graphics just don't have the same wow factor because you have no freedom to experiment or try new things, all you can do is make minor incremental improvements on what came before.
I think we'll always have developers like Quantic Dream (Heavy Rain, Detroit: Become Human) that say, "Behold, the human likeness!" We'll all be astounded but, ultimately, each one will age poorly. Maybe one day I'll be wrong.

Attempts at imitating anime in 3D video games is in a similar boat, but I feel like there have been some really good attempts in recent years.

MPRTwice

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use the highest graphics I can on everything, because it makes it extremely easy for my eyes to relax.

plasturion

temporary hermit
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well I do, graphics don't have to be spectacular but it make a difference when you run winuae in ntsc signal instead of pal. Frameskips for platform games like superfrog is not acceptable. Same if i could see even single stutter or framedrop in superb new game, this game could be definetelly land in the trash as soon as possible. game have to be perfectly smooth or just not exists, like new tv sets 200hz that produce 150 framedrops per second by internal hardware superb midframe solutions.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's a shame some people's cake always resort to the same taste