Who actually cares about graphics and framerates?

Who actually cares about graphics and framerates?

• Total voters

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Depends on the game, really. Things like action, racing, FPS, TPS, etc I'd rather have higher framerate than graphical fidelity, but for things like platformers, RTS, puzzle, most adventure games I'd be fine with just stable 60fps and good looking content. Generally speaking I'll pick stable FPS over anything though if I had to pick one, I'm not really all that interested in high fidelity graphics for the most part, I just don't want potato 30fps as an option in 2024.

What I really want is stuff to run at 60fps+ without having to rely on shitty upscaling hacks like DLSS or FSR. It irritates me to no end that game devs can no longer be assed to properly optimize their games and just slap DLSS on it to make it even run stably on high end hardware. DLSS was supposed to give low end GPUs more lifespan as games become more complex and harder to run, not a crutch that $1000 GPUs require just to hit a stable framerate in a modern game.

Robert Newbie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tend to agree with others. A steady 30+ FPS is sufficient, and I'll take an ok-looking game that's fun over a graphical showcase any day.

Hot take: Uncharted was fun enough, but it was a barebones experience with bulletsponge enemies. If you took away the excellent graphics, I don't think most people would have played it.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Graphics from a 2023 game should not look THIS bad. Especially right off the heels of Legends Arceus, which was gorgeous.

1710772747254.png

I care about graphics, but this was pathetic Game Freak. You can always tell when Monolithsoft makes the maps for Nintendo because they're always gorgeous and have extra polish to them. This does not spark joy.

Skv0ra

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah yes. the good old, "PC is for gfx/fps peak" vs we all already know what PC is really for when new single-player-only AAA's are $70...

Back a decade ago, I had my PC croak due to a surge that nailed the power strip as well, and I figured why not explore the console route for the sheer simplicity of it all and not having to upgrade your graphics card every 3 months not to lag behind the latest and greatest gfx, and quite frankly, in the golden era of Xbox 360 being hacked thoroughly and dual layer dvds being dirty cheap - it was one helluva time to be a console peasant.

Years later when gaming took a major back seat for me, consoles started to literally dust layers and layers as I'd barely touch em, so when upgrading a work laptop became a more pressing issue, MonHun World got announced and that became a tough choice for me - used PS4 just for the game I know I'll play on and off, and then GT Sport, or a gaming laptop provided I find a deal and give up on MHW. I lucked out and in the week I had to work abroad, MHW PC got announced and I've been rockin' my rebadged Sager with a 1070 ever since. It still pulls new games on low settings without stutters, and that's plenty for me until work starts lagging and the damn gfx card market calms its tits for me to go and build something decent around 1k budget.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everybody cares or they are lying or delusional about not caring, it's only about how much they care relative to something else, some want portability, some want ease of use, some are just fans and need to have everything they can get their hands on from whom they worship.

I know people who have double 4090 setup and still play on Switch. If you are the one who don't even have a single 4090 and you want to laugh at people who play on Switch I am sorry for your sadness of not having double 4090.

M7L7NK7

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
Slight drops don't worry me if it's a demanding game, and don't really care about graphics.. even having something like Doom Eternal on switch is a luxury so a downgrade is fine. Plus my most played games are Binding Of Isaac, Slay The Spire and Dead Cells and they aren't graphical powerhouses but still really fun

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I mean, who really cares? I somewhat get wanting high framerates but who really cares about how good a games graphics are?
All gamers ever except those that have beloved hardware that they defend in spite of it being vastly underpowered compared to the competition. I've been playing games since the 1970s and there's not a game I've played, including MSFS 2020 and RDR 2 that I didn't wish had better graphics.

NyaakoXD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  • Frame Rate > Graphics
    While PC gaming, that is. For a lot of games, visuals aren't much different when going from medium to high to ultra, so I usually set them to around the lowest possible while still letting the game look decent enough and get enough frames as I possibly can.

• On consoles, though, my brain switches gears and becomes more tolerant on performance issues or lower resolutions. Even now I still play on my Switch and 3DS/DS way more often than on PC, in general.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
i recently played the new outcast game which looked stunning in DLAA and ultra settings. but the actual game was boring and CTD a lot so i retired it. a game can have the best gfx in the world but that means NOTHING to me if the gameplay and stability is shit!

Robert Newbie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i recently played the new outcast game which looked stunning in DLAA and ultra settings. but the actual game was boring and CTD a lot so i retired it. a game can have the best gfx in the world but that means NOTHING to me if the gameplay and stability is shit!
I get pushback for having similar feelings towards the Uncharted series, but I do feel that it was more "graphical showcase" than video game. Although, it is a very accessible game for newcomers, since Nathan Drake magnetizes to everything and the third-person shooting is basic. I think the PS3 games had stuttering/vsync issues here and there, but mostly stayed stable.

The graphics and setpieces were amazing, though. The technical sides of the water and sand physics are fascinating to me. If the games had been ported to PC back in the day, modding communities would have probably done some impressive hacks.

CooingMaxito

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I don't really care for graphics, as long as it is stable and I enjoy the game that's all that matters to me. Also having graphically intensive games is a no-go for me since the most modern ish console I own is a switch, my computer isn't that high-end and I can't really afford for something that runs better..

Don't get me wrong, there are a ton of games that look absolutely GORGEOUS, only problem is that I cannot play them

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm mostly a low-spec PC and an unhacked Nintendo Switch player, so I only care about smooth 30 FPS.
Smooth 30fps? Dude, what.

30fps is not smooth even if you try to lie to yourself. I played Horizon Zero Dawn on PS4 and I loved it, but admittedly I did notice it played a bit sluggish because it was 30fps rather than a smooth 60fps.
Post automatically merged:

I'd favor more framerate over graphics, but in the case of Rise of the Rōnin the game is a graphical disappointment because it's a PS5 game and being such there are higher expectations.

Reactions: Bladexdsl

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Graphics from a 2023 game should not look THIS bad. Especially right off the heels of Legends Arceus, which was gorgeous.

I care about graphics, but this was pathetic Game Freak. You can always tell when Monolithsoft makes the maps for Nintendo because they're always gorgeous and have extra polish to them. This does not spark joy.
Yuck. Those graphics suck ass. And I'm not even usually super picky about how refined graphics are. That looks like someone trying to make a Pokemon game out of Runescape assets.

As for my preferences, it really depends on the game. Call of Duty or Smash Bros? Yeah, I want good graphics (especially smooth framerates) because those tie into how easy it is to spot other players, react, etc. Too choppy of a framerate and it becomes a distraction from the game itself.
Anything else? Not really. I will admit that it's hard on my eyes to play 30FPS games now (after playing 60FPS+ on my PC and XSX for so long) but I can if I need to without too much trouble. Some games, like Tears of the Kingdom, in my opinion deserve to be played in 60FPS and at least 1440p because that adds a lot to the immersion value, but I suppose that's more a complaint of the Switch's performance abilities than anything else.
In short, it isn't really a big deal, but it can add a lot depending on the game. With graphics getting better and better on average smoother framerates will be more and more necessary to compliment the graphics and vice versa, so that's something to keep in mind as well.

Robert Newbie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

View attachment 426375
I know this is off-topic, but I am curious about why Nintendo allows Game Freak to release half-hearted Pokemon sequels. It was a flagship franchise back in the 90's/2000's. That fever pitch may be gone, but the fanbase is still massive.

I don't understand why Nintendo doesn't put more resources into each sequel's development, especially since Game Freak is clearly struggling. (It doesn't help that, by law, every new Pokemon game requires an extra 100 Pokemon be added to the roaster roster)

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this is off-topic, but I am curious about why Nintendo allows Game Freak to release half-hearted Pokemon sequels. It was a flagship franchise back in the 90's/2000's. That fever pitch may be gone, but the fanbase is still massive.

I don't understand why Nintendo doesn't put more resources into each sequel's development, especially since Game Freak is clearly struggling. (It doesn't help that, by law, every new Pokemon game requires an extra 100 Pokemon be added to the roaster roster)
Have you seen Mario Strikers Battle League? Nintendo is no better these days.

The days when Nintendo used to put effort into it are a bit behind now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: He's old they're already roasted +1