Homebrew Question Which is better for emulation? Switchroot or l4t Ubuntu/lakka

Aphromite

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have been a long time lurker on these forums and have been enjoying the developments that have been coming thick and fast in the last few months. However, as the proud owner of a tiny human, I have been struggling with a lack of time to explore the scene as much as I'd like.
I have been interested in playing a number of old consoles which are currently stuck in the attic, but for fear of the wraith of the other half and the potential for excessive leads to entangle the little one, I have had to hold off. Until now!
So I was wondering which of the current OS/CFW solutions had the best emulators. The ones that can run Dreamcast, N64 and prior at playable speeds and which were the best ones to get.
Any thoughts and contributions would be greatly appreciated and will allow me to focus on one solution rather than trying them all out.
Currently have an Ubuntu setup, lakka/kosmos emulator setup and a kosmos setup just for switch games if that is useful.
Thanks!

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I have been a long time lurker on these forums and have been enjoying the developments that have been coming thick and fast in the last few months. However, as the proud owner of a tiny human, I have been struggling with a lack of time to explore the scene as much as I'd like.
I have been interested in playing a number of old consoles which are currently stuck in the attic, but for fear of the wraith of the other half and the potential for excessive leads to entangle the little one, I have had to hold off. Until now!
So I was wondering which of the current OS/CFW solutions had the best emulators. The ones that can run Dreamcast, N64 and prior at playable speeds and which were the best ones to get.
Any thoughts and contributions would be greatly appreciated and will allow me to focus on one solution rather than trying them all out.
Currently have an Ubuntu setup, lakka/kosmos emulator setup and a kosmos setup just for switch games if that is useful.
Thanks!
I think Dreamcast/N64/PSX and anything older should be no problem at all on either of them. Where you start running into trouble is with anything newer (namely PS2 and GC/Wii) which generally don't run full speed no matter what you do, but may still be playable. I think Lakka runs GC games at at least 30 fps, not sure about Wii games, and Dolphin on Android I'm unsure about. This was with OpenGL though - now that Vulkan works games should run better, but I don't know by how much.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Kazalber

Trophies
XP
Country
Guatemala
With Retroarch you're good to go :yayswitch:
But like the guy above me said, newer games are harder to emulate as of right now.

Basketto

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
As an overall, i would say lakka. Ubuntu is more finicky although it does have better compatibility with dolphin. 95% of the most popular games though run on the lakka core anyway though. The biggest problem with lakka though is it still has no way to dock, maybe in future they will hardcode a wireless pro configuration you can boot into or something. At the moment the biggest flaw is portable only, followed by no working sleep mode. As for overall emulation though it has the largest potential though imo. The vast majority of gc games can run fullspeed with overclocking, however their are only a handfull of wii.

Last edited by Basketto,

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
Lakka will definitely give you better performance than Android on higher end cores. Android is just too big and messy.

Aphromite

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the replies. I quite like the idea of being able to play something with someone else, so tonight I'll have a play around with Ubuntu!

D

Deleted User

Um why dont you consider android huh? Dreamcast works great. So does ds and saturn! Look at dreamcast go:

Basketto

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Um why dont you consider android huh? Dreamcast works great. So does ds and saturn! Look at dreamcast go:

Im currently using android mainly too ;). Lakka seems to have the most potential as a full package but the handheld only is the deal breaker for me, the sleep mode isnt that big of a problem in my eyes. With Redream android the only drawback is you have to pay to play in hd resolution.

mrcroket

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Android will be a good option for me when analog sticks work properly. Dreamcast without analog controller its a bad thing :P

Last edited by mrcroket,
D

Deleted User

Some people prefer joycon attached to the system...

but like why am I responsible for that? Sides that might actually work. What I noticed is that right now redream does see the joycons. But they are split. Like one is 2 player one is 3 player. It's kinda weird. If we could get them to just show as one it should just be a remap. All in all I never cry over spilt milk. I try to be part of a solution not whine. If the fellow wants good emulation I mean as shown it's pretty dang good. I am having a blast with saturn alone!

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but like why am I responsible for that? Sides that might actually work. What I noticed is that right now redream does see the joycons. But they are split. Like one is 2 player one is 3 player. It's kinda weird. If we could get them to just show as one it should just be a remap. All in all I never cry over spilt milk. I try to be part of a solution not whine. If the fellow wants good emulation I mean as shown it's pretty dang good. I am having a blast with saturn alone!
The first person you responded to said they didn't want to use android because the analog sticks on the joycon don't work properly, then you responded with:
It works purfekt with pro controller.
What you talking bout willis?

D

Deleted User

The first person you responded to said they didn't want to use android because the analog sticks on the joycon don't work properly, then you responded with:

well yeah. Cause it uh works. Look man stop picking on me. It's not cool in real life it's not cool when you are behind a keyboard. It works. I told someone something works because it does and perhaps they didn't know. Personally I think the joycons suck. Always have. I use pro controller both docked and portable. I use a stand when I am out and about. Not everyone is like you. If everyone was the world would be a VERY boring place.

also lets just be clear joycons work with many things in android it's just someone who cares would need to look at redream specifically.

Last edited by ,

mrcroket

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
well yeah. Cause it uh works. Look man stop picking on me. It's not cool in real life it's not cool when you are behind a keyboard. It works. I told someone something works because it does and perhaps they didn't know. Personally I think the joycons suck. Always have. I use pro controller both docked and portable. I use a stand when I am out and about. Not everyone is like you. If everyone was the world would be a VERY boring place.

also lets just be clear joycons work with many things in android it's just someone who cares would need to look at redream specifically.

Good for you, but joycons still being the mains controllers for the switch, also the main atractive of the emulation on switch (at least for me) its to play arcade or classic console games on a handheld device.

D

Deleted User

totally get that ya'll it's just my view is lets make it work not complain about what don't work. tis a different approach. Also for those that throw money at problems the pro controller will fix this issue yes. Not everyone can do that and I understand that. But since I can now do stuff like this:

Yes I like having my pro controller lately!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over