Hacking Which Flash Cart Should I Get?

Symbolik

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
There's a normal emulator for both, but they're bad in comparison to the DSTwo, and the DSTwo isn't perfect either.

A DS is a bad choice for emulation of anything past the NES and such. If you want emulation, get something else.

The links are from the US or China (the TLD doesn't matter, anybody can register one from almost anywhere), flash carts are illegal to sell in the UK so most people just import from a chinese shop anyways.
Last question (Sorry for being such a pain in the ass) how do I know if a card is not a fake? is there a thread here that helps with that?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Last question (Sorry for being such a pain in the ass) how do I know if a card is not a fake? is there a thread here that helps with that?
We don't see many actual name-copy clones anymore, instead what usually happens is somebody goes and buys the wrong product to save a few bucks or because they're not paying attention to the name/site on the cart.

Symbolik

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
We don't see many actual name-copy clones anymore, instead what usually happens is somebody goes and buys the wrong product to save a few bucks or because they're not paying attention to the name/site on the cart.
Just to be sure, is this the right R4i Gold http://www.digibay.es/nintendo-3ds-flashcard-/79-r4i-gold-3ds-flashcard-para-nintendo-3ds.html ?

http://www.digibay.es/r4i-/25-r4i-gold-r4ids.html They also have this one but it isn't the same as in the r4ids.cn website.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
is WOOD the only firmware r4i gold? I've been reading about ysmenu is it supported by the r4i gold?
They're softwares, not firmwares.

Yes, but Wood is better. If your ROMs aren't working with Wood, then something is seriously wrong (your ROMs have been modified, your MicroSD is messed up, etc.).

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
is WOOD the only firmware r4i gold? I've been reading about ysmenu is it supported by the r4i gold?
Only the R4i Gold from r4ids.cn, R4i DSN from r4idsn.com, and original/1.1 clone of R4 support wood r4 officially.
No you can't use YSMenu on the r4i Gold, that I know of, Wood R4 has the same rom support and better features.

Symbolik

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
2/14/2013 - AK2i's dead, replaced it with the 2.1 for people that want SDHC support and such on a DS/Lite.

Does this mean that the AK2i doesn't support SDHC cards? Also, is it really "dead"?

bangoash

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only the R4i Gold and DSTwo are suggested anymore for the DSi/3DS. The DSTwo has more features, but is pricier.

Hey Rydian,

I purchased a DSTWO from RealHotStuff out of Jersey and the card never worked in my 3DS XL. I tried several times to update, reformat, and re-download the kernel but no luck. On top of that the card feels crappy and poorly made. The micro sd card spring got stuck and would not eject, but this resolved after a few days. I had to be EXTREMELY fragile with the DSTWO afterwards. Note: The DSTWO "worked" on my original DS but I later found it to have FPS issues (despite manual FPS adjustments), sound quality was awful, and games I thought I knew/played back in the days of NES/SNES I barely recognized.

My friend has a R4 SDHC "New" Dual Core (White card, silver sticker, black letters, www.r4isdhc.com), and it works FLAWLESS. Not only does it work on my 3DS XL, the ROMS (only tried DS & NES) look and sound amazing. I'm thinking about ordering one.

The main reason I purchased the DSTWO was because I wanted to play SNES ROMS but found I was having more trouble than fun after it arrived. I have read that these cards are not able to produce a great SNES experience anyhow. When I went to the supercard website and read the forums it seemed there were many other users having the same issue as me but the "supercard team" provided little to no feedback.

Closing: Why do you only recommend the R4i Gold & DSTWO? Why not the R4 SDHC "New" Dual Core? I realize there are people who do not have problems with the DSTWO but there are lots of people who do. It is not worth it to me if I am having to cram paper scraps in my $200 3DS XL. Or maybe I will get lucky and after having the unit power-downed all night the DSTWO would work once in the morning.

Thanks is advance for your response. I am new to forums and DS flash cards in general. I am not new to GAMES or computers.

bangoash

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Because R4 SDHC has a reputation of dropping support on a whim. And then goes of to make a brand new cart. It will work fine. For now.

On the other hand, the DSTwo has managed to overcome every single one of Nintendo's updates at this point in time. And within a short period of time, usually 1-2 days. And hardware wise, it is superior to the other carts out there though you may have to sacrifice a bit of your battery life.

Have only heard of flimsy builds of the DSTwo lately. But then again, it's not like China is famous for it's QC, right? While there are "a lot" of people who have problems with this cart, I believe there is a larger number who don't. Probably harder to notice since they are less likely to be vocal about it.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Hey Rydian,

I purchased a DSTWO from RealHotStuff out of Jersey and the card never worked in my 3DS XL. I tried several times to update, reformat, and re-download the kernel but no luck. On top of that the card feels crappy and poorly made. The micro sd card spring got stuck and would not eject, but this resolved after a few days. I had to be EXTREMELY fragile with the DSTWO afterwards. Note: The DSTWO "worked" on my original DS but I later found it to have FPS issues (despite manual FPS adjustments), sound quality was awful, and games I thought I knew/played back in the days of NES/SNES I barely recognized.

My friend has a R4 SDHC "New" Dual Core (White card, silver sticker, black letters, www.r4isdhc.com), and it works FLAWLESS. Not only does it work on my 3DS XL, the ROMS (only tried DS & NES) look and sound amazing. I'm thinking about ordering one.

The main reason I purchased the DSTWO was because I wanted to play SNES ROMS but found I was having more trouble than fun after it arrived. I have read that these cards are not able to produce a great SNES experience anyhow. When I went to the supercard website and read the forums it seemed there were many other users having the same issue as me but the "supercard team" provided little to no feedback.
If you had tried DS and NES games on the DSTwo, you'd find they run fine as well, so that's not an accurate comparison at all.

Anything above that (SNES included) sucks on the DS, and if you had asked I would have told you to not even buy a DS for emulation. Hell, scroll up, I just told somebody that on this very page.

I've half a mind to remove the mention, but a lot of people are just fine with the slow emulation speed (for some reason) and would bitch to hell and back, so I'm considering just sticking a "DS emulation sucks, do not get a DS for emulation" note... but then some people would be all "Wahhh NES emulation works fine so you're wrong" at me. :\

I try to compromise officially, but when asked my opinion, I blatantly say to not even buy a DS for emulation.

Closing: Why do you only recommend the R4i Gold & DSTWO? Why not the R4 SDHC "New" Dual Core?
Because it's a shit clone, and shit clones suck.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/update-o...d-v2-0-using-akaio-updated-to-3ds-4-3.342339/
http://gbatemp.net/threads/identifying-flashcart-fixing-one-for-my-nephew.341230/
http://gbatemp.net/threads/r4itt-purple-new-sticker-problem-about-adding-games.343271/
http://gbatemp.net/threads/r4i-sdhc-help.342623/
http://gbatemp.net/threads/r4itt.342556/
http://gbatemp.net/threads/software-for-green-r4i-card.316171/
Ask all those people if they wish they had bought a DSTwo or R4i Gold instead. :P

Time and time again, most flash carts drop support and stop getting updates meaning they stop working on DSi/3DS systems, and stop being able to play new games. Even if carts appear to work at first, most carts will stop getting updated well before people stop buying them.

The carts in the first page are the few carts that have proven themselves to not pull that kind of crap over and over. In fact, when a cart DOES drop support, it's removed from the list (and the DS is pretty much dead, which is why the list is so small nowadays).

If you buy a shit clone, chances are you'll eventually come back here asking how to make it work on your 3DS after your 3DS updates (or how to get it to play new games), and the answer will most likely be "They stopped making updates for your cart, buy another one". Seriously, check out the forums here. Most flash carts are clones that drop support.

And yours appears to be one. Just look at the download page.
http://www.r4isdhc.com/r4-download/
Look at how many times your cart's team has changed hardware and stopped giving out updates.

Yes the DSTwo doesn't fit right in every slot (which, by the way, is a very recent thing), but the DSTwo is also the only cart that has NEVER needed a hardware upgrade to keep working, which is why we push it so heavily (the R4i Gold was as well, but then they cheaped out on some revisions and backed themselves into a corner, a mistake most Chinese products like this make).

I realize there are people who do not have problems with the DSTWO but there are lots of people who do. It is not worth it to me if I am having to cram paper scraps in my $200 3DS XL. Or maybe I will get lucky and after having the unit power-downed all night the DSTWO would work once in the morning.

Thanks is advance for your response. I am new to forums and DS flash cards in general. I am not new to GAMES or computers.

bangoash
The DSTwo's contact issues with the 3DS seems recent, and we're not sure if it's a DSTwo revision or a 3DS revision that caused it. Let the shop you bought the DSTwo from know that it doesn't work right and see if they'll send you a more recent replacement.

Reactions: The Catboy

user7451

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was hoping to get some help with what card would be most ideal for me. I just have a DS Lite and would like to be able to use DS games and run programs such as "animatee." I was recommended just the plain old R4 card. Would this be fine? Since there are clones and such, which do you guys think is best? Thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm doing fine, and you?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    Im gonna see if I can find a ps4 to buy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    now that firm ware 11 supposedly is exploitable
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you see the fallout series
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is pretty good
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    an elder scrolls movie or show would be cool, but which elder scrolls game would it be based on?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh who am i kidding it'd be skyrim
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but,since they're only a few years apart, a morrowind + oblivion series would also be cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco Saturday
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @AncientBoi, happy birthday