Hacking Which DS Flash Cart should I choose?

XxRockstarxX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys
Im new to the DS scene and was interested in running DS game backups on my original nintendo ds.(dont need homebrew or anything else, I just need to run games) Now im wondering, which card would be the most simple/best card to get for me to easily run games without hassle.(preferably without having to install extra files or patching games to get them to work.) I am on a Mac so if I could get a card thats as easy as connect to the computer, drag game onto the microsd card, and put it into the DS that would be perfect and just what im looking for. I was looking at getting the R4 card so If anyone could suggest a specific model and reliable place to get it at then that would be great (as I heard theres many clones); if there is a better card for what Im looking for then tell me your suggestion.
Thanks!

Jan1tor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Try looking in the Review section of the board. There is a good description on about every card out there. You should be able to make a pretty good decision then.

D

Deleted_171835

cardchart.gif

chart made by rydian

The Acekard 2i and DSTWO are good choices for flashcarts.
The DSTWO is a bit pricey, though. It has an onboard CPU though so it can emulate GBA (Game Boy Advance) games and play .avi and .wmv files without conversion.

shamiko_

~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
you can get an Acekard 2i quite cheaply: lots of games work, AP bypass cheats, ect (all features of r4) or you can get the supercard dstwo, which has all the features of an r4 with extra bonuses like real time cheat, real time sav RT guide slow motuion gba emulator, snes emulator, direct movie playback (thid card is a bit more expensive, but it's worth getting if you have the money

ars25

I like tacos and pie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
a scds2 is your flashcart for u it has near perfect rom computability so no need to patch or wait for a firm ware update all you need to do is put your ds rom in to your microsd and play away

XxRockstarxX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dter ic said:
you can get an Acekard 2i quite cheaply: lots of games work, AP bypass cheats, ect (all features of r4) or you can get the supercard dstwo, which has all the features of an r4 with extra bonuses like real time cheat, real time sav RT guide slow motuion gba emulator, snes emulator, direct movie playback (thid card is a bit more expensive, but it's worth getting if you have the money

What does AP bypass cheat and real time cheat mean?

QUOTE(ars25 @ Feb 12 2011, 07:45 PM) a scds2 is your flashcart for u it has near perfect rom computability so no need to patch or wait for a firm ware update all you need to do is put your ds rom in to your microsd and play away

Ok so I think im either gonna get an Acekard 2i or an SCDS2. Are these both just plug into your computer and put on the games and you are good? Also are there any good places that sell for cheap? (besides shoptemp)
Thanks for the quick responses
smile.gif
!

Sausage Head

Lord Sausage LXIX
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Anti-Piracy bypass means that it can bypss Anti-Piracy. Real Time cheat means that cheats can be turned on and off in-game. Check Shoptemp.net (I'm sorry, its just the best place to look for them) for prices.
I would recommend the Acekard 2i if you are new to flashcarts.

D

Deleted_171835

XxRockstarxX said:
Also are there any good places that sell for cheap? (besides shoptemp)
Thanks for the quick responses
smile.gif
!
Just use Shoptemp as a price-grabber.
It's a great way to get the cheapest price from a variety of shops.

XxRockstarxX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok then i think im going to buy the acekard 2i from Real Hot Stuff. Does it come with bundled software that is required to put games on the card or do you just drag the games to a folder on the card and it works? Also does it ever need updates and is there ANY games that require putting files on the card or downloading files? Just want to confirm this stuff before i buy!
Thanks!

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
You will need to place AKAIO on your card (it's the Acekard's OS), but other than that no, you just stick your microSD in an adapter or your computer or whatever and drag files to/from it in windows just like you do with camera memory cards or whatever.

Yes, just placing the games in a folder works, though it's recommended you try to organize a bit.

Yes, it does need updates (any cart does because nintendo keeps putting out new anti-piracy). There's two types, AKAIO/OS which bypasses new in-game AP, this happens maybe once a month or less depending on variable factors, and all you do is delete your _aio folder and your akmenu4.nds file and replace them with the new ones, your games and saves aren't touched. As for the other update type, you don't need to worry about it as long as you don't update your DSi/XL's system software... but it's recommended you apply the update anyways because siblings and family have a habit of saying "yes" to any update the system tells them to, you know? The latest bypass is for system software 1.4.1, we don't know what the next system software will be (though it's likely to be 1.5).

EDIT: And no, you don't need to do anything specific to game ROMs, unlike R4 clone carts that can't do their job properly and needs cracks everywhere, AKAIO is actually updated to fix new games without you needing to crack them.

XxRockstarxX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
You will need to place AKAIO on your card (it's the Acekard's OS), but other than that no, you just stick your microSD in an adapter or your computer or whatever and drag files to/from it in windows just like you do with camera memory cards or whatever.

Yes, just placing the games in a folder works, though it's recommended you try to organize a bit.

Yes, it does need updates (any cart does because nintendo keeps putting out new anti-piracy). There's two types, AKAIO/OS which bypasses new in-game AP, this happens maybe once a month or less depending on variable factors, and all you do is delete your _aio folder and your akmenu4.nds file and replace them with the new ones, your games and saves aren't touched. As for the other update type, you don't need to worry about it as long as you don't update your DSi/XL's system software... but it's recommended you apply the update anyways because siblings and family have a habit of saying "yes" to any update the system tells them to, you know? The latest bypass is for system software 1.4.1, we don't know what the next system software will be (though it's likely to be 1.5).

EDIT: And no, you don't need to do anything specific to game ROMs, unlike R4 clone carts that can't do their job properly and needs cracks everywhere, AKAIO is actually updated to fix new games without you needing to crack them.

thanks for taking the time to write that out; it was really helpful. Do I search here to find new updates and stuff or do is there an Acekard site to DL them from? And does it tell you/notify you when you need to update the FW to bypass AP, or do I have to constantly check online?
Thanks again everyone for your help!

D

Deleted_171835

XxRockstarxX said:
thanks for taking the time to write that out; it was really helpful. Do I search here to find new updates and stuff or do is there an Acekard site to DL them from? And does it tell you/notify you when you need to update the FW to bypass AP, or do I have to constantly check online?
A thread will be posted here when an AKAIO update is out.
You can also check the official AKAIO site.
The latest update can be downloaded from FileTrip.

It doesn't notify you. You'll have to check online. It is updated quite frequently, though.
A game-fix update is only necessary when a recently dumped game doesn't work. All other games will work on the existing update.

XxRockstarxX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SoulSnatcher said:
XxRockstarxX said:
A thread will be posted here when an AKAIO update is out.
You can also check the official AKAIO site.
The latest update can be downloaded from FileTrip.

It doesn't notify you. You'll have to check online. It is updated quite frequently, though.
A game-fix update is only necessary when a recently dumped game doesn't work. All other games will work on the existing update.

If you need a game update, and you play the game that requires that game update, then what will happen? Will it just not boot?

D

Deleted_171835

XxRockstarxX said:
If you need a game update, and you play the game that requires that game update, then what will happen? Will it just not boot?
Depends on the game.
It varies depending on the game. With some games, it crashes in random spots. With others it just doesn't boot at all.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, the AP methods games use varies greatly. You can usually check the release thread for a ROM dump here to see what people are saying about it. Some AP just makes the game not boot, others makes the game not progress past the title screen or intro/tutorial, and still others totally fuck with the game in different ways, such as making it randomly crash (pokemon games), making some sprites invisible (mario versus donkey kong 3), or more.

It's actually kinda' funny to see the stuff the game devs think up to make the games unplayable sometimes.

Rasas

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since price is probably what is deterring you from getting the Supercard 2 you should know if your only interested in playing backups and paying a low price the R4DS might be a better idea. It has Wood Firmware updated by Yellow Wood Goblin and can be purchased for $2.5 or above compared to the Acecards $11.5 or above price tag. Sure it can't use a SDHC memory card but it is cheaper and is updated.

Anti Piracy can do a lot of things such as you cannot use the A button, pickup health packs, climb a ladder, it black screens at any rate anything that seems strange and makes the game impossible to progress through is most likely anti piracy or a bad dump. It will also appear very early on in the game so it is must likely your own fault when you cannot progress an hour or so in the game.

Also slowdowns and freezes might be because the game has a bug or your Memory Card is just slow.

XxRockstarxX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rasas said:
Since price is probably what is deterring you from getting the Supercard 2 you should know if your only interested in playing backups and paying a low price the R4DS might be a better idea. It has Wood Firmware updated by Yellow Wood Goblin and can be purchased for $2.5 or above compared to the Acecards $11.5 or above price tag. Sure it can't use a SDHC memory card but it is cheaper and is updated.

Anti Piracy can do a lot of things such as you cannot use the A button, pickup health packs, climb a ladder, it black screens at any rate anything that seems strange and makes the game impossible to progress through is most likely anti piracy or a bad dump. It will also appear very early on in the game so it is must likely your own fault when you cannot progress an hour or so in the game.

Also slowdowns and freezes might be because the game has a bug or your Memory Card is just slow.

so with the R4 i will never have to do updates to the FW, or game updates? (just drag and drop games onto the micro sd?) Also if i do get an R4 where and what model should i get and is there a GB capacity? (can it like not read 8gb micro sd's or something?)
Sorry about all the questions
smile.gif
Thanks again everyone

Pyrmon

Burnin' Monkey Love
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
XxRockstarxX said:
Rasas said:

so with the R4 i will never have to do updates to the FW, or game updates? (just drag and drop games onto the micro sd?) Also if i do get an R4 where and what model should i get and is there a GB capacity? (can it like not read 8gb micro sd's or something?)
Sorry about all the questions
smile.gif
Thanks again everyone
The R4 will need constant updates from YWG to run the newer AP patched games. That's how it works. If you want to update less often, then pick an Acekard 2. They have an Anti-AP built into AKAIO. Sure, it isn't as good as the DSTWO's, but it gets the job done. The R4 has a limitation of 2gb cards. Anything higher will not work. But an Acekard 2 doesn't have a limit. You can put a 32gb MSDHC and it will work.
If you want an R4, go here
If you want an Acekard 2, go
here
or
here

If you have a DSi, you will need a DSi compatible card. That would be either the R4i Gold or the Acekard 2i.
you can find the R4i Gold here
and the Acekard 2i can be found on the two sites I gave that sell the regular Acekard 2, which is
here
and
here

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good deal. I love Sun chips. I also love Rye chips, and had to order some from Amazon cause can't find in stores much anymore.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking subways like that'll be $3
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is funny how they replaced the $5 foot long sub, with a 1" wide $5 foot long cookie or cinna stick, cheap asses
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They still have but it's like $10 cookies honestly not a bad deal for $5
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bidenomics
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, everything almost double nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But I could go to Aldis and get a cookie pie for like $4
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or use your new cooking pan and make some, don't mind the Old leftover foods mixed in.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just eat plain flour around cops
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    thats Gluten abuse, they would shoot you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends on the color chart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Isn't wheat flour the whitest of the white?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Rye would get shot at sight.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends
    img_5941-1.jpeg
    everyone mixing their flour now days
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's whole wheat, right? Because all purpose flour is also made from wheat.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm not a flour expert I just snort it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There also is black rice flour, and its really black colored
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Bruh that's gray.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's ancientboi color
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    You need to add some activated charcoal.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've seen some that are dark dark, my wifey uses it sometimes in her bs recipes
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/1Ic2tqw_AmM?si=JprHwElZWw_oO_ii