Hacking Which burner and media for WiiKey?

z0ner

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to determine if my soldering job didn't take or if I'm just using the wrong media.

I've been burning 360 backups using my Pioneer 111D 1.19 and 8x DVD+R DL Verbs (MKM-001) with no problems. You can't manually set the book type on Pioneers but they bitset to DVD-ROM anyway.

Instead of wasting one of my expensive DL verbs I've tried the following combos with no success:
- Pioneer 111D + 8x TDK DVD+R (CMC MAG M01)
- Pioneer 111D + 16x Memorex DVD+R (RICHOJPNOR0)
- Plextor PX716A + 8x TDK DVD+R
- Plextor PX716A + 16x Memorex DVD+R

These were all burned at 4x using unscrambled, proper region ISO's on ImgBurn.

The Wii quickly gives a "Unable to Read" for all combos except for the Plex+TDK. It spins a lot longer and mostly produces the black screen "Eject and power off - consult the troubleshooting guide" message. That makes me think it's a burner/media problem.

So I'm really looking for advice from a Pioneer/WiiKey combo but we can also use this thread as a reference for successful burner/media configs. Something like:

Burner and Firmware Version:
Media:
Burn Speed:

UPDATE: Got backups to work after fixing one of my bad solder points on the DVD-ROM. See below for my detailed post.

wii_ownz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
what I heard was that if the program or burner automatically sets the bitsetting of dvd+r's to dvdrom, it will not work with wiikey. it will work if the discs are burnt without this adjustment.

z0ner

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what I heard was that if the program or burner automatically sets the bitsetting of dvd+r's to dvdrom, it will not work with wiikey. it will work if the discs are burnt without this adjustment.

I'm not sure if that's the case. From the little amount of information I've been able to glean, people have been successful with the 111D - I'm just trying to find out what media won't burn Wii coasters.

jon_jon

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

mustnap

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Booktype = bitsetting?? Assuming it is true, then i have a different experience. I have no idea how to set the book type , but my software for burning dvd (Nero Express 6.6) automatically sets the book type to DVD-ROM and i have burned a lot of backups using the same setting. Below is a screenshot that i took when i just burned a backup ISO.

and i can say that i managed to burn everything successfully (22 disc so far and no coasters yet) and played all of them without any problems. But of course, i could not get the naruto fighting series to work (no one managed to get them working)

My burner is Lite On DVDRW SHM 165H6S and the media that i used was Memorex DVD+R 16x (most of the discs i burned at 8x speed and a couple at 6x. I even tried burning at 16x and got the game working)

z0ner

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I learned quite a bit from this modchip install. First and foremost: No burner/media combo will work if you lift a pad on your DVD-ROM trying to apply your WiiKey
wink.gif
After soldering to the leg directly, here's what I've found works well:

Burner and Firmware Version: Pioneer 111D 1.19
Media: Maxell DVD-R 16x (Ritech F1), Memorex DVD+R 16x (Ricoh JPN), Memorex DVD+RW 4x (Ricoh JPN)
Burn Speed: 8x for Maxell and Memorex +R, 4x for Memorex +RW

So if you're not sure you want to waste a +R, try your backup on your Memorex DVD+RW first.

Office Depot is running a clearance on Maxell DVD-R 16x. 100 for $22.99.

xiaNaix

Trophies
Website
xiaNaix.net
XP
Country
United States
Burner and Firmware Version: BENQ LS-DW1655 (firmware BCDB)
Media: Sony DVD-R (Media Code: SONY16D1)
Burn Speed: 4x, 8x

Media: Taiyo Yuden DVD-R (Media Code: TYG02)
Burn Speed: 8x

If you're using +R instead of -R, try setting the Wiikey Disc Speed option to 3x instead of 6x. Some have reported that worked better for them with +R media.

mehmed

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have a LG burner. GWA-4160B. I used Philips DVD+R 16X and Maxell DVD+R 1-16X. Maxell worked perfect. Philips had some read errors. I burned a setupdisc for the Wiikey and changed the read speed to 3x instead of the 3 times. Now they work almost everytime. So people try to set read speed to 3x and try again.

Malboro

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
I had "unable to read disc" problem sometimes on maxell+R 16x Disc, but my TDK-R x8 and maxell+RW 4x speed works perfect. I use imgburn and i have LG GSA 4163B Burner.

Try something RW+ with max speed is 4x and use 4x write speed.

grapperus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i use a pioneer 111d burner
ritek dvd-r Go5 discs
burned using nero 7
have done a couple of games now with no dre at all ssx blur,sonic,wario smooth moves,excite truck all burnet at 6x speed

alucard77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone use RW media? I wanna try a couple of RW DVDs for game testing. I was thinking of getting memorex ones.

z0ner

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Lazycus

Rotten
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Burner and Firmware Version: Pioneer DVR-109 1.57
Media: DYNEX DVD+R 16X, Verbatim DVD-R 16X, Imation DVD-R 8X, RiDATA G04 mini DVD-R 4X (GC backups)
Burn Speed: 4X, 6X, 8X

The WiiKey on a D2B reads everything I have thrown at it so far. This burner delivers perfect GC backups so I assumed it would do the same for Wii.

jezz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good media, bad burner. Avoid the Plextor PX-708A! It gets in game but DRE's usually after 5 minutes (my chip is installed fine).

Burner and Firmware Version: Plextor PX-708A fw 1.12
Media: RiDATA G05 DVD-R 8X
Burn Speed: 1x, 2x, 4x

Also, for your thought--the Pioneer DVR-111D is now being replaced by the 112D. I have one in the mail and will test it when it comes.

z0ner

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good media, bad burner. Avoid the Plextor PX-708A! It gets in game but DRE's usually after 5 minutes (my chip is installed fine).

Burner and Firmware Version: Plextor PX-708A fw 1.12
Media: RiDATA G05 DVD-R 8X
Burn Speed: 1x, 2x, 4x

Also, for your thought--the Pioneer DVR-111D is now being replaced by the 112D. I have one in the mail and will test it when it comes.

I remember when Plextor used to be the shiz of all media. My Plex 716A won't do 360 or Wii backups, but my $40 Pioneer 111D burns 'em like a knife through buttah!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCYyXcb_pJk Lol spiderman dong