Homebrew Where to get "legal roms"

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
ROM means "Read-Only-Memory". In order to call a file a "ROM", it has to be dumped from a "Read-Only-Memory"-Chip first. There are no "Read-Only-Memory"-Chips for Homebrew "ROMs". Therefore technically homebrew files are not ROMs.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Even if the developer decide to place his copyrighted game into Public Domain, I'm not sure the ROM become legal. The ROM (extracted data from the cartridge) is still proprietary of his publisher, not the developer, right?

I think it's what could be considered for Eric Chahi's Another world.
He allowed the game's data itself to be used to make a GBA homebrew, but the Another World SNES ROM is still copyrighted by Nintendo.

And in fact, All Eric Chahi's work will still be copyrighted up to (in France) 70 year after his death counting from the first publication date. The game is not Public Domain, he only allowed the use of his own properties when someone asked him (here is the keyword, you need to author authorization
wink.gif
)

Nintendo said:
A Nintendo emulator allows for Nintendo console based or arcade games to be played on unauthorized hardware.Sooo, emulators used by Virtual Console on Wii are played on unauthorized hardware ? ahaha
Emulator are just program to interpret machine code and reproduce the original hardware and software functions.
Though, they are correct with the first sentence:
QUOTEA Nintendo emulator is a software program that is designed to allow game play on a platform that it was not created for

The PD roms you gave might be legal, I don't have any mean to verify the legality. It would need the declaration of the author to place their software in Public Domain.
If they are homebrew, they are copyrighted to their author too
tongue.gif

Though, I removed a link as it included other menu with commercial games.
Too bad, it's a great website with a lot of news and informations for homebrew and console tools.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Here we go again..
QUOTE said:
ROM means "Read-Only-Memory".

The term ROM is used more often for something that isn't ROM anymore.

How about flash rom chips, and eproms or eeproms....And what about my pc bootrom...
They aren't "read only memory" anymore.
The only reason why commercial cartridges used MASK rom's or OTP rom's those days is simply because those are cheaper when you need large quantities.
A big drawback is the fact that you need to know 100% sure that your code is bugfree.

And in those day's, the flashchip technology didn't exist yet.

So if we call an old console game a ROM, everyone knows what we mean with it. No matter if it's homebrew or not.
Some people actually did make their own (eprom) cartridges those days, as it was the only possible way to test their homebrew.

Sorry Slimmmmmm, I couldn't resist.
rolleyes.gif

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry Cyan for not going over all the sites well enough.

I'm only missing a few systems now and I think I may well fit everything on a 1 gb sd, I'd hope to get everything as small as possible(so no BIG collect EVERYTHING pack), I do have a few bigger cards but the purpose is to have a quick setup-and-check-emus-run-fine card/pack (backup) that IF I uploaded somewhere would be as legal as can be.

Anyway, holidays in full flow now so no time for a bit.

and yeah, my terminology sucks
tongue.gif

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
obcd said:
Here we go again..
QUOTE said:
ROM means "Read-Only-Memory".

The term ROM is used more often for something that isn't ROM anymore.

How about flash rom chips, and eproms or eeproms....And what about my pc bootrom...
They aren't "read only memory" anymore.
The only reason why commercial cartridges used MASK rom's or OTP rom's those days is simply because those are cheaper when you need large quantities.
A big drawback is the fact that you need to know 100% sure that your code is bugfree.

And in those day's, the flashchip technology didn't exist yet.

So if we call an old console game a ROM, everyone knows what we mean with it. No matter if it's homebrew or not.
Some people actually did make their own (eprom) cartridges those days, as it was the only possible way to test their homebrew.

Sorry Slimmmmmm, I couldn't resist.
rolleyes.gif

Doesn't matter, because you fail. Homebrew files are technically still not ROMs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I can assure you it is