Hacking Where to get a firmware 4.5 or below 3DS XL?

comp1demon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3DS with firmware between 5.0 and 9.2 will be compatible with the new GW update. (at least 7.0-9.2 will)

You can't downgrade a 3DS or use other 3DS's NANDs on a different 3DS.

You can dump a NAND from any 3DS with hardmods but there's no way to modify the NAND to make it be compatible with GW if it isn't originally.

I got ya... - Kind of new to this. Was hoping to take my Kids 3DSXL which is a Mario Luigi one from 2014 and make it gateway compatible.
I am happy I have one now that will be compatible for myself. I just need a good place to get a Gateway card now.

I am still very new to all this and I am doing A LOT OF READING.. somethings are confusing to me.

I understand that if you have a 4.5 Firmware DS you can take a copy of that nand and put it on a SD card and then the Gateway can use it as a EMULATION NAND. And update that nand to the latest 3DSXL nand but the Onboard nand will remain 4.5, sort of how my DEMON on my XBOX 360 works.

I don't understand why one would want to Dump their Nand via the SDcard soldering method if they have 4.1-4.5 already on their 3DS. I understand some might want a backup of it, and I read the Gateway can do that too without hard soldering, but what else is it good for? I guess reverting back to 4.5 if you accidentally update the on board nand?

You said "3DS with firmware between 5.0 and 9.2 will be compatible with the new GW update. (at least 7.0-9.2 will)"
What do you mean by that? Does that mean that newer DS's with firmware over 4.5 can use gateway soon?

I really could use a few more sources to read about all this stuff. I am pretty familar with most of it, but again still some things that are unclear.

lemanuel

Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I got ya... - Kind of new to this. Was hoping to take my Kids 3DSXL which is a Mario Luigi one from 2014 and make it gateway compatible.
I am happy I have one now that will be compatible for myself. I just need a good place to get a Gateway card now.

I am still very new to all this and I am doing A LOT OF READING.. somethings are confusing to me.

I understand that if you have a 4.5 Firmware DS you can take a copy of that nand and put it on a SD card and then the Gateway can use it as a EMULATION NAND. And update that nand to the latest 3DSXL nand but the Onboard nand will remain 4.5, sort of how my DEMON on my XBOX 360 works.

I don't understand why one would want to Dump their Nand via the SDcard soldering method if they have 4.1-4.5 already on their 3DS. I understand some might want a backup of it, and I read the Gateway can do that too without hard soldering, but what else is it good for? I guess reverting back to 4.5 if you accidentally update the on board nand?

You said "3DS with firmware between 5.0 and 9.2 will be compatible with the new GW update. (at least 7.0-9.2 will)"
What do you mean by that? Does that mean that newer DS's with firmware over 4.5 can use gateway soon?

I really could use a few more sources to read about all this stuff. I am pretty familar with most of it, but again still some things that are unclear.

well.. if you check GW's website and the biggest thread in this section it won't be hard to see that the new update will support the 3DS 9.2 and below.

As for the hardmods, it's useful for people that want to reflash their NAND since GW only backups the NAND, it doesn't restore it.

As for emunand, GW does that for you. You don't need to backup your NAND and put it on the SD card.

If I were you I would give this a read: http://www.maxconsole.com/maxcon_forums/threads/285759-How-to-setup-your-gateway-with-a-3DS-4-x
There's more stuff out there so just keep reading ;)

comp1demon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well.. if you check GW's website and the biggest thread in this section it won't be hard to see that the new update will support the 3DS 9.2 and below.

As for the hardmods, it's useful for people that want to reflash their NAND since GW only backups the NAND, it doesn't restore it.

As for emunand, GW does that for you. You don't need to backup your NAND and put it on the SD card.

If I were you I would give this a read: http://www.maxconsole.com/maxcon_forums/threads/285759-How-to-setup-your-gateway-with-a-3DS-4-x
There's more stuff out there so just keep reading ;)

SO without reading.... (which I am doing now..._) But you seem to have a grip on all this.
Will my Kids Mario / Yoshi 3dsXL with Firmware 9.2.0-20U beable to use a gateway soon? Or am I misunderstanding this new upcoming GW update?

Thanks for the reading sources... I am learning more by the minute.

lemanuel

Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
SO without reading.... (which I am doing now..._) But you seem to have a grip on all this.
Will my Kids Mario / Yoshi 3dsXL with Firmware 9.2.0-20U beable to use a gateway soon? Or am I misunderstanding this new upcoming GW update?

Thanks for the reading sources... I am learning more by the minute.

Yes. I have no idea when the new update will be available but according to everything said, GW will work with your 3DS in that firmware.

The new support might (and most likely will) be different than the old one for 4.x users tho. So the best thing for now is for you to keep reading about 4.x support since it's the one you can use now and once the update is released you can try to find out more about it at that time.

Xirix

Trophies
XP
Country
So what are my chances of getting a downgradable 3DS XL if I buy retail? Pretty high? Any information on serial numbers that would have 9.3 or higher?

Yabbie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So well waiting for Gateway to release support for N3DS i was walking through my local Big W and low and behold a brand new Black O3DS is locked in one of there cabinets. Come with 1.1 and i updated it to 4.5 with my copy of Animal crossing, This shell tie me over until N3DS support

Attachments

• 3ds.jpg
    3ds.jpg
    367.3 KB · Views: 400
Reactions: SolarisHeights

Tsarla

Trophies
Website
cinemagr2013.blogspot.gr
XP
Country
Greece
Hello, I always wanted to buy the 3ds, and I was going to buy the new one, but now that I discovered the whole gateway thing, I have to search it. If I buy the new 3ds is it possible to use gateway and play the roms? Or it is not compatible yet? I am in Greece so I will have a pal version. Unless, I buy a 3ds xl from eBay, but then it should be pal and also the right firmware and also to buy a gateway card. What about the Cubic ninja and Zelda cartridges, should I also buy them in order to complete the process?

Ra1d

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Hello, I always wanted to buy the 3ds, and I was going to buy the new one, but now that I discovered the whole gateway thing, I have to search it. If I buy the new 3ds is it possible to use gateway and play the roms? Or it is not compatible yet? I am in Greece so I will have a pal version. Unless, I buy a 3ds xl from eBay, but then it should be pal and also the right firmware and also to buy a gateway card. What about the Cubic ninja and Zelda cartridges, should I also buy them in order to complete the process?

In short, yes, they support both old and new 3DS, however only if your 3DS(both new and old) comes with a firmware 9.2 or lower, for an old 3DS only a gateway card is required to run the exploit, for a new 3DS, Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D or Cubic Ninja is currently required (they're still working on a solution that will not require additional hardware).

If you want to read a detailed explanation on the New 3DS Gateway requirements, go to their site http://www.gateway-3ds.com/ and the very first post explains Cubic Ninja exploit, 3rd post explains Zelda Ocarina of Time exploit.

Tsarla

Trophies
Website
cinemagr2013.blogspot.gr
XP
Country
Greece
In short, yes, they support both old and new 3DS, however only if your 3DS(both new and old) comes with a firmware 9.2 or lower, for an old 3DS only a gateway card is required to run the exploit, for a new 3DS, Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D or Cubic Ninja is currently required (they're still working on a solution that will not require additional hardware).

If you want to read a detailed explanation on the New 3DS Gateway requirements, go to their site http://www.gateway-3ds.com/ and the very first post explains Cubic Ninja exploit, 3rd post explains Zelda Ocarina of Time exploit.
Thanks a lot, i found cubic ninja for 15€ in stores, so I have the new 3ds option, but first, I have to find a way to get the gateway card, and choose the device carefully.

2Hack

HYPiavelli
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Canada
So what are my chances of getting a downgradable 3DS XL if I buy retail? Pretty high? Any information on serial numbers that would have 9.3 or higher?
100% if you are going for Old3DS. If you want a new 3DS XL, then it is trickier, but most likely around 80-90 % chance of getting a hackable firmware ;)

If you get on Old 3DS on higher than 8.1, then it may be a returned console :o so watch out for that :)

Fenty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
id be willing to sell mine via ebay, its an xl red and black & could also sell the gateway cards with it, although I have to confirm it working (see other thread lol)

-edit- cards and 3ds backups now working :)

Ruby Gloom

GBAtemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I only wish it were that easy to find said clerk. That would make finding the device a dream. Now after finding a ton of 3DS XL's on eBay for a fairly reasonable price, I don't know if I should either
A: Buy a 3DS in store for $200 right now
B: Wait for a POTENTIAL price drop near Christmas time, yet I risk not finding any 2012 devices, OR
C: Buy used from eBay for cheap price.

I don't know if I should just go for this deal or not, but a seller on eBay is selling one used for around $120 after shipping and all, and is even located in my city. however, the seller is out for the long weekend, and can't return my question about the firmware. Is it worth taking the risk for such a good price?
I understand I'm late to reply, but, always take the safe route. eBay, you'll be scammed 90% of the time. Don't wait until Christmas; unknowingly parents will just say " Get me a 3ds. " and walk it home to their kids. Buy it here soon.

Reactions: LimeWan

LimeWan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I understand I'm late to reply, but, always take the safe route. eBay, you'll be scammed 90% of the time. Don't wait until Christmas; unknowingly parents will just say " Get me a 3ds. " and walk it home to their kids. Buy it here soon.
I haven't posted on this forum in a long long time but I got one on sale like 2 years ago, haha

Talk about late reply, LOL

Good info for future buyers though!

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
scammed 90% of the time is a big exaggeration (unless you gt for obvious scam listing like the $30 wiiu consoles etc).....its common, but tbh buyers are generally well protected, its only sellers who are treated like crap by ebay/paypal when it comes to scammers, i would say check with the seller, (wait for them to return before buying) but if its on a good FW i say go for it :)

oh wow yeah, big necro that one lol....think the seller still has it :tpi:

Last edited by gamesquest1,

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't rush into buying anything until the seller answers my questions about the console. You have it in the email that this is what he stated it to be. BAM!!! Bitch can't hide from that.

The point is: keep a papertrail or else you screw yourself and have no one to blame. Don't come on here complaining about how you got screwed and failed to find ways to protect yourself, or the lamest I've heard so far is "I had no other way to pay". Its 2015 for fuck sake, start learning how to build your credit score so that you can get a better credit card.

Ruby Gloom

GBAtemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I wouldn't rush into buying anything until the seller answers my questions about the console. You have it in the email that this is what he stated it to be. BAM!!! Bitch can't hide from that.

The point is: keep a papertrail or else you screw yourself and have no one to blame. Don't come on here complaining about how you got screwed and failed to find ways to protect yourself, or the lamest I've heard so far is "I had no other way to pay". Its 2015 for fuck sake, start learning how to build your credit score so that you can get a better credit card.
Credit scores don't even have anything to do about this. And you shouldn't make a loan for $200. It's just.... Weird... " I need to make a loan to pay off for a game system. " That surely doesn't sound right. Save your money. I'm sure you can stow away $10 a week for it. If you can't, you're not going to own one.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Credit scores don't even have anything to do about this. And you shouldn't make a loan for $200. It's just.... Weird... " I need to make a loan to pay off for a game system. " That surely doesn't sound right. Save your money. I'm sure you can stow away $10 a week for it. If you can't, you're not going to own one.

yeah it does

Better chance of purchasing items with a CREDIT CARD that can better protect your money. You lose something, item gets damaged, they refund you the money and do the investigation. All you need to do on your end is come up with proof that its damage, not as described, etc...etc...

You're talking to someone who has seen and done it all, even shop overseas like some members here have done just to get an item cheap, and ended up waiting a couple weeks to get it. I have to be smart with my money, my investment, and have learn about the pro's and con's.

Edit: I will also add that around this time there are some credit card companies that will even price match for the holidays, so you won't have to wait in long lines to get that one item outside in the cold during Black Friday, or fear that the item sold out and you got played because your order was confirmed online but when you arrived at the store they sold out.

Last edited by tony_2018,

Ruby Gloom

GBAtemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
yeah it does

Better chance of purchasing items with a CREDIT CARD that can better protect your money. You lose something, item gets damaged, they refund you the money and do the investigation. All you need to do on your end is come up with proof that its damage, not as described, etc...etc...

You're talking to someone who has seen and done it all, even shop overseas like some members here have done just to get an item cheap, and ended up waiting a couple weeks to get it. I have to be smart with my money, my investment, and have learn about the pro's and con's.
I only stated it didn't have anything to do with it because I misread; apologies. I always buy in stores anyways.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Back when I was playing kakarot I looked up one little guide now all I see is dbz stuff