Hacking Where to get a firmware 4.5 or below 3DS XL?

Witchdokter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
are you trying to use all the gateway files, you need the kernel files from the card your using and ONLY the gatewayinstaller.nds from the blue card folder

it sounds like you are trying to use the gateway kernel which is not designed for the card you have, that will only work on the blue card

now that you mention it, i just used all the files which i found in the folder ''Blue Card (R4i)''. so now i am going to try with the original content of the card + the gatewayinstalle.nds thanky you very much for your help, wouldn't have tought of it myself.

Witchdokter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
now that you mention it, i just used all the files which i found in the folder ''Blue Card (R4i)''. so now i am going to try with the original content of the card + the gatewayinstalle.nds thanky you very much for your help, wouldn't have tought of it myself.

i installed the hack, went to classic mode since i don't have the gateway card yet for gateway mode. in classic mode i saw GW3D 4.4 as the system version, i went on and patched it(the emunand, not the system nand), however after the patch my classic mode won't boot at al. i think it is because the system patched the emunand to a newer version which isn't compatible with the launcher.dat, does anybody know how i can patch/downgrade my emunand to a version which is compatible?

edit: is it possible that i format emunand so that it goes back to GW3D 4.4, than lauch classic mode and update it by trying to play pokemon Y or would that update the system nand instead of the emunand?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Yeah just pick format emunand, there is currently no way to update emunand as 8.0 doesn't work with emunand and you can only update via the system settings to the latest FW, so just stick to 4.5 for now, you will still be able to play any games you have except for one or 2 that use 7.x encryption

Witchdokter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yeah just pick format emunand, there is currently no way to update emunand as 8.0 doesn't work with emunand and you can only update via the system settings to the latest FW, so just stick to 4.5 for now, you will still be able to play any games you have except for one or 2 that use 7.x encryption

alright, will i be able to play my retail version op pokemon Y in classic mode with emunand4.4?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
alright, will i be able to play my retail version op pokemon Y in classic mode with emunand4.4?
Yeah all games except the 2 games using 7.x encryption (tomodachi life and a Japanese game ) will work fine, the only issue I know of is that local trading won't work for Pokemon unless you have an updated emunand, but you can play the game fine

Witchdokter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yeah all games except the 2 games using 7.x encryption (tomodachi life and a Japanese game ) will work fine, the only issue I know of is that local trading won't work for Pokemon unless you have an updated emunand, but you can play the game fine

that is nice to hear, thank you for the info.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't count on it. The only way to be 100% sure if you're ordering one online would be to get one of the bundles. If you're looking for an original 3DS (not XL), I'd suggest trying to find a sealed Fire Emblem bundle, those should work for sure.

Papa_Bear

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
- S/N: SEH1139xxxxx
- F/W: 4.5.0-10E
- Copyright: 2013
- Color: Pink
- Model: 3DS XL

Ordered 07/05/2014, received 07/16/2014. Avaliable for shipping ATM on videoigr.net only for russian customers. Or if you will be in Moscow, you can buy it directly from the store.

Yes, this console is not so popular in Russia.

DeadKiller

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
But when you search 3DS on amazon, there is a Nintendo 3DS - Cosmo Black with a date Mar 27 2011 and there is another with the date May, 21 2013 so it's probably that the first could come with a low firmware version right? Besides i searched for the Fire Emblem Bundle and the price is 379$, i cant afford it.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But when you search 3DS on amazon, there is a Nintendo 3DS - Cosmo Black with a date Mar 27 2011 and there is another with the date May, 21 2013 so it's probably that the first could come with a low firmware version right? Besides i searched for the Fire Emblem Bundle and the price is 379$, i cant afford it.

No, that date is when the system was originally released. March 27, 2011 was the 3DS' launch date. Obviously the ones they are selling now were not made on that date!

That's just indicating that it's the same Cosmo Black that was released at launch, and the 2013 one is probably a different color scheme.

noki@

Trophies
XP
Country
OK well I thought of getting a second hand 3ds with firmware stating that its below 4.5 was safe enough, but reading here it seems like that might still not work on Gateway. Is there a definite list somewhere, where I can find out which bundles came with 4.5< in Europe.

Thanks

By the way I am in the UK if anyone knows of any places

Clab

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Here's a European user on ebay that sells brand new gateway ready 3DS XL consoles - 1400+ feedback at 100%:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/16amelie16/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

I have personally had one a few months ago, and so has a friend of mine and there have been no problems at all. The ones we got (and the current ones for sale) are German models, although of course this won't effect use.
As of this post, they are selling 4.4.0-10E Blue/Blacks.

Xirix

Trophies
XP
Country
Here's a European user on ebay that sells brand new gateway ready 3DS XL consoles - 1400+ feedback at 100%:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/16amelie16/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

I have personally had one a few months ago, and so has a friend of mine and there have been no problems at all. The ones we got (and the current ones for sale) are German models, although of course this won't effect use.
As of this post, they are selling 4.4.0-10E Blue/Blacks.

Nice find, I'm in the UK and considering getting a 3DS XL soon... but will the 3DS have the option to be in english? I assume so if it's just the 'European' version. But would I need to use an EU spec charger with a converter to charge it?

Jvalentin21

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
- S/N: SW1198
- F/W: 4.4.0-10U
- Copyright: 2012
- Color: Red

Purchased recently at the Toys'r'us in Waterford Lakes Orlando, FL. They price matched Targets ad for $186 including taxes. At the time, they had two Blue consoles with SW125!

From my experiences searching for a week I found Best Buy associates are happy to check Serial Numbers, Walmart associates are 50/50 with some of them saying they are not allowed to give that information over the phone, Target was the most helpful but they did not have any in stock. I did not call Toys'r'us so I do not know if they are willing to give that information over the phone.

Hope this information helps someone!

DeadKiller

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
No, it's not a different color.
Here it's the first:
7e1ea6.png

And the other:
0213b7.png

As you see, they are the same, but different date, what could it means?

Clab

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nice find, I'm in the UK and considering getting a 3DS XL soon... but will the 3DS have the option to be in english? I assume so if it's just the 'European' version. But would I need to use an EU spec charger with a converter to charge it?

I believe the instruction manuals, registration cards etc were in German (I don't have it to hand to check), however all consoles for Europe are the same. Mine was even set to English by default. As for the charger, you just need any with a UK plug. I use the one from my original UK 3DS.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK well I thought of getting a second hand 3ds with firmware stating that its below 4.5 was safe enough, but reading here it seems like that might still not work on Gateway. Is there a definite list somewhere, where I can find out which bundles came with 4.5< in Europe.

Thanks

By the way I am in the UK if anyone knows of any places

Are you looking for a regular 3DS or an XL?

So, if I purchase a console with a serial number that's said to be below 4.5 firmware, what are the chances of it being a higher firmware, therefore being unable to use gateway on it?

If it's used, your chances are high. If it's sealed in the box, you should be fine. Obviously no guarantees - someone could have bought it and returned it, but it's like 90% likely if it's a SW12xxx serial for an XL and it's unopened that it will be on 4.x

- S/N: SW1198
- F/W: 4.4.0-10U
- Copyright: 2012
- Color: Red

Purchased recently at the Toys'r'us in Waterford Lakes Orlando, FL. They price matched Targets ad for $186 including taxes. At the time, they had two Blue consoles with SW125!

From my experiences searching for a week I found Best Buy associates are happy to check Serial Numbers, Walmart associates are 50/50 with some of them saying they are not allowed to give that information over the phone, Target was the most helpful but they did not have any in stock. I did not call Toys'r'us so I do not know if they are willing to give that information over the phone.

Hope this information helps someone!

Nice! I'm living just a couple hours from Orlando right now, and to be honest I never even thought to check Toys R Us. I was only looking at Target and Walmart (had bad experiences with Best Buy and rude employees who don't want to look at serials for me)

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, it's not a different color.
Here it's the first:
7e1ea6.png

And the other:
0213b7.png

As you see, they are the same, but different date, what could it means?

OK, so I looked at those myself. Notice that neither one is being sold by Amazon directly. The default is STL PRO, Inc. for both of those listings.

I think what happened was that Amazon themselves used to sell the 3DS, so when the new packaging came out (it had nothing to do with the firmware, it was because the boxing was different) they created the new version to sell that. However, when resellers go to list a product on Amazon, they just pick whatever they think best describes it, hence why there are still people selling it under each.

tl;dr the dates listed there still don't mean anything

I don't want to start an argument or anything, go ahead and buy one if you want to see what happens, I'm just letting you know there's a VERY GOOD chance it won't be 4.x or lower.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Y @ YuseiFD: :creep: