I'm like *tick* *tick*
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
For those that use usenet. Does ssl make it so my ISP can't track my bandwidth usage or what I'm downloading?

I think bandwidth monitoring is based on physical activity on the line. I'm pretty sure there's no software way of hiding how much data you send/receive.

Right. But with the SSL encryption his ISP won't know what he's doing with that bandwidth. This is especially good)actually pretty much necesarry) for when you are using, say, a school/campus' internet while at college.

Which is another arguement against torrents...Some ISPs will not allow you download .torrent files. And some ISPs will throttle your bandwidth when using torrent clients (like Comcast who is being sued for doing it..)by sending you false data packets..

It's personal preference above all. But to think that torrents are actually better you have to be a friggen dope.
You're still blabbering about this? Give it a rest, kid.

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
For those that use usenet.  Does ssl make it so my ISP can't track my bandwidth usage or what I'm downloading?

I think bandwidth monitoring is based on physical activity on the line. I'm pretty sure there's no software way of hiding how much data you send/receive.

Right. But with the SSL encryption his ISP won't know what he's doing with that bandwidth. This is especially good)actually pretty much necesarry) for when you are using, say, a school/campus' internet while at college.

Which is another arguement against torrents...Some ISPs will not allow you download .torrent files. And some ISPs will throttle your bandwidth when using torrent clients (like Comcast who is being sued for doing it..)by sending you false data packets..

It's personal preference above all. But to think that torrents are actually better you have to be a friggen dope.
You're still blabbering about this? Give it a rest, kid.

Nah it's cool, kid. I'm waiting for you to copy and paste that bit from BC to prove you're a member. I mean you did flame me telling me I make idiotic posts because I don't know "what I'm talking about". So, seeing as how I'm a member of "what I was talking about", and you can't prove that you are, I'd say your credibility has been wrecked.

You just like to criticize even when you have no clue what you are talking about in the least. This is proof. I've never seen you post anything constuctive or helpful. You always just put people down. Or tell them they are stupid...or call them a "douche"...It's not cool...

heathdogg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not very a valid point.

Just the same, no ones needs to pirate games.

Some people like audiobooks. My boss likes them for long trips that require him to drive, for example.

Ah, understood. He would rather pay 12.99 monthly to get his audio books, rather than pay the 2 dollars you need to go buy it from the store. Understood.

I like audio books because I am blind. $13 for all the audio books I need is a bargain.
Usenet is the way to go for me.

webjedi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For those that use usenet. Does ssl make it so my ISP can't track my bandwidth usage or what I'm downloading?

Yes, I highly suggest to use a SSL connection.

I have a good friend that's a senior engineer at and they have been monitoring bandwidth usage. Comcast has already been found to be throttling. They are looking to throttle the pipe of heavy p2p and usenet users. You can switch standard ports but they can still detect the traffic type by looking at the packets. But if the traffic is encrypted (SSL) they are not able to distinguish what traffic you are sending/receiving. He said some big providers - like Giganews - are rotating IPs so it makes it difficult for ISPs to just trottle by IP.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right!

GonzoCorleone & Hiratai can you both please give it a rest.

And to the rest of you:
NO requesting invites or links to to any places that hold illegal material or even in some way let you download the illegal stuff.

Topic will be closed if this goes on.

Banger

Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I do not get wii iso's but if I did I would get it from private trackers and or FTP dump sites, or have someone else I know ftp it to me if I am being lazy.

evadwolrab

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Right!

And to the rest of you:
NO requesting invites or links to to any places that hold illegal material or even in some way let you download the illegal stuff.

Am I right in thinking we can talk about Usenet as much as we want because piracy is not the only thing people use it for?

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right!

And to the rest of you:

Am I right in thinking we can talk about Usenet as much as we want because piracy is not the only thing people use it for?
You can, just don't name any places that have naughty illegal stuff.

Can I just add that GBAtemp don't condone the use of ISO's for piracy.

biggrin.gif

evadwolrab

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Right!

And to the rest of you:

You can, just don't name any places that have naughty illegal stuff.

Can I just add that GBAtemp don't condone the use of ISO's for piracy.

biggrin.gif
Of course. Needless to say, I'm backing up the games I own as insurance against my discs becoming damaged. As I don't have the required DVD drive to read Wii discs, I'm forced to download ISOs and play those instead.

jeklnoo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Monthly charges...shiiiiiiiiiit.

It's like $12 a month for unlimited download. That means for $12 a month you can download hundreds, maybe thousands, of dollars worth of software, music, movies, etc. at the full speed of your bandwidth.

I use verizon as an isp and they have a news server that comes with your subscription free. It just has a low retention. (The files don't stay up for as long as a pay service). But since I usually D/L 'em the day they come out or the day after it doesn't matter to me.

cheapest i've seen: hitnews.eu ... 6 eur / mo for unlimited download from usenet. (if you buy 6 months at once...it's only 5 eur/mo if you buy 2 years worth, but that's a bit much for me at once)

ziddey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gonzo, do you have fios? my friend has fios and can't seem to get it to connect to news.verizon.net at all. standard port.

I've tried connecting from outside verizon's network just to see if I'd get anything, but not a thing.

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
Trophies
XP
Country
Haven't seen this topic. But is what I meant when I stated that GBATemp is A LOT more forgiving now in this kind of subjects.

On topic: BT

sekhu

moo?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ftp is the best, and fastest way to get files. Someone FXPs the files from one server to another server. Then provides an account for leeching the files directly from the server, there are no par files like Usenet, and no need to share crap back like torrents. The files are SFV checked as they are fxped so you know instantly if there's any problems with a file as it will state as much. Depending on where the server is located and how fast it is depends on how fast your download is. But as it's a direct transfer between yourself and the server, with SSL and the like your files won't be tracked, and your activies not monitored on FTP.

SuperGeek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Currently I use Usenet, however I used torrents until I got banned from TorrentLeech for literally no reason at all. Anyways, I'd like to use FTP, but I don't know where to go...lol.

I'd gladly do anything to get FTP access.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: @K3Nv2 I'm still not really convinced that sylverrez is a girl lol