Whats your Opinion on Piracy?

BothyBhoy

Trophies
XP
Country
The same opinion i've had the last 47 times this thread has popped up in the past year.
CH don't be such a downer. There's lots a new ppl on the temp and even us older ones don't mind having a say. Can't we have a decent thread without any bickering.??????......please......

phalk

Handheld Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It really depends.

On my case, I had stopped pirating. But then, the Dollar to Real (Brazilian currency) in the span of a single year changed from 1 USD = 2 BRL to 1 USD = +4 BRL. (Even more if you take into account the average wage paid here vs USA). I don't earn much to begin with as I'm a teacher and teachers aren't valued around here.

Since Nintendo don't sell stuff here anymore (even when it did, it was overpriced) I can't really spend 4 times the amount of money plus the shipping to buy a single game, so I got back to piracy.

Bottom line is, I would have to pay something like 10% my monthly income for a single 3DS game, more or less.

Would YOU do it? I wouldn't and I don't. So I pirate and I don't feel bad about it.

If I had a fair price (or at least a reasonable one) I would start buying games again.

Last edited by phalk,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
We can debate morals, ethics and the all seeing eye of the ninja king all we like, and we have done before, but I reckon a slight aside is more interesting. The short version is how wrong do you think it might be?

Some time ago someone came on the forums saying they had flunked an internship test at some three letter agency when asked under polygraph about illegal acts, said acts ultimately being downloading some music. I have since made a small observation of those around here and what they think of things and how they treat them, noting age at the same time. It seems the older set align well with me and the younger ones actually treat it as something.
Now I probably would not be able to lie about gobbling someone's sandwich but that would not have tripped me/phased me in the slightest. I know about the laws, I have probably even read the statutes and any relevant case law/summaries thereof, but it does not even click. I am aware the Recording Industry Ass. of America might wish to go toe to toe because of such things but it is all about as abstract/part of the process as entering in a captcha or something.

One of the biggest problems with lie detection (despite it all being hopelessly inaccurate, even in what it could get) are the true believer (if you actually believe then it is not going to detect anything, see also why sales and marketing are dangerous people to believe) or unknown lie issues (I say I went to the supermarket yesterday and then you say FAST6191 was at a supermarket yesterday and you have lied). This sort of thing would probably be related to those.

Not EOF but have a video anyway

S

Saiyan Lusitano

American shows that I follow I've got no option but to to pirate because it's the only way I can follow it as it goes than to wait weeks or even worse, months. So you see 'muricans in this instance don't have to since they can just record the show and watch it later (some shows are paid via cable so some get left out too).

EDIT:

Recently I bought the Trailer Park Boys Season 1-6 boxset as I love the show but still got screwed because the DVDs don't have subs (I might miss a joke and won't notice) and they're very useful to me. :( Another why ripping the episodes (add softsubs) are better (or on Netflix).

Last edited by ,

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Piracy is a tool like any tool and is often misused but also serves a solid purpose when it comes to trying games before you buy them, because yes people do that. My steam list is jammed full of games i've never played because I probably pirated it, had my fill, and then bought it when I had the chance to support it. I don't always do that, but yeah. I definitely try to support games when I can by buying special editions and then pirating the game so I don't have to open it.

CH don't be such a downer. There's lots a new ppl on the temp and even us older ones don't mind having a say. Can't we have a decent thread without any bickering.??????......please......

We should start a thread on what the definition of bickering is.
I see it misused a lot.

and then remake it twice a month to see if anyones opinions changed.

chaosblade02

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Instead of buttering things up, I'm gonna say what I really think because some of the others have as well.

I pirate games because I'm sick of the developers shoveling out garbage games purely driven on hype with $60 price tags. 90% of the games I've pirated were a complete waste of bandwidth, and *maybe* I played for a played for a few hours tops, then deleted from my PC. The other 10% were actually good enough to buy. I also pirate games from companies that have total BS DRM policies. Look I just want to play games, I don't care about some corporations EULA even if I click "OK", that's not a morally binding agreement to me, because the way I see it is they don't care about my rights, so why should I care about agreements regarding their intellectual property rights?

There are only a couple of developers I've whitelisted, this means I won't pirate and will buy games if I'm going to play them:

- From Software - Makers of Dark Souls series games.
- CDPR - Witcher Series.
- I don't generally pirate from small developers, if its under $10 on steam, I'll buy it or will wait for the said game to go on sale.

Blacklisted companies. I will always pirate from these companies if I want to play one of their games, because I don't like their policies.

- EA
- Bioware
- Ubisoft

Last edited by chaosblade02,

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's the reason no one cares about 3DS homebrew applications anymore - once memchunk2hax released, most of the 9.3+ people who used to use things like Ironhax jumped to 9.2 and started using CFW warez. Nowadays I don't see as much original homebrew - most of the attention goes towards things like warez.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My opinion: A piracy is okay to me as long as anybody dumped their games and wants to share with us because of an expensive games. We can say thank you. To me, its not wrong. Anyway, I do not understand why piracy is wrong and it's a thief. Thief ? How ? Well, the companies released the games and anybody bought it and share it with us. They are not going to lose the money anyway.

Again.. Someone dumped it after bought the game and shared with us is a gift and not a thief. I don't know. I do not care what Law says about piracy! :sleep::glare:

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's the reason no one cares about 3DS homebrew applications anymore... Nowadays I don't see as much original homebrew - most of the attention goes towards things like warez.

I am not sure I can get behind that. We saw the DS homebrew scene drop off rather dramatically with the rise of IOS (which android since stomped all over). With the 3ds also being a weak device, at least as far as current portable devices you can program things for are concerned, that explains far more than any pirate set might.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Lightyose

True Light
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
True. But there is one game that bothers me regarding it's availability. Flipnote Studio 3D. It's been released everywhere outside Europe years ago. 2013 for Japan, and 2015 for US. And it didn't even get a proper release for the US. It was just a Club Nintendo thing. I don't even think they can get it anymore since the discontinuation. And the PAL version is just "planned". I mean seriously Nintendo...
I have Flipnote Studio 3d US...
From Club Nintendo!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

My opinion: A piracy is okay to me as long as anybody dumped their games and wants to share with us because of an expensive games. We can say thank you. To me, its not wrong. Anyway, I do not understand why piracy is wrong and it's a thief. Thief ? How ? Well, the companies released the games and anybody bought it and share it with us. They are not going to lose the money anyway.

Again.. Someone dumped it after bought the game and shared with us is a gift and not a thief. I don't know. I do not care what Law says about piracy! :sleep::glare:
Someone underestand me!

Reactions: spotanjo3

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
I really have no reason to pirate anything, but sometimes when a game comes out for $60 I pirate it to see if it's worth it at all. That said i really shouldn't even do that considering the huge backlog of games I already own and have yet to play.

Music is another thing i typically don't pirate, with the spotify premium student discount it's unlimited music for cheap. Here's a question though, is using a hcked spotify app to get free premium considered piracy? is it illegal?

TV is the one thing I absolutely will and do pirate frequently. Cable TV costs way too much money for anyone to deal with and even with Netflix, Hulu and Amazon there are still live shows I would like to see before 6 months after they air. Plus, you know what quality you're getting with pirated TV. I don't watch movies much so i don't pirate those except when it's for friends or fam.

Should I do it? no. Is it illegal? yes. Do I think it's morally wrong? no, but i feel bad doing that when none of my friends do, like cheating on a test or something.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"is using a hcked spotify app to get free premium considered piracy? is it illegal?"
Yes. You are obtaining works you do not have a license to and not accidentally breaking an agreement or something that would make it not piracy (use one too many CPU cores and hose a database license agreement up, not piracy but still something in that world). Illegal? Assuming this is not a criminal vs civil thing then yeah you are either doing something like theft of services or obtaining by deception or possibly even straight up unlicensed use. In fact it is probably no more legitimate than the fact that I pay for a seedbox (or usenet if you prefer) and download things using that.

Reactions: endoverend

ceelo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GBATemp was built on Piracy. I exaggerate but its true, back in the day this was a more seedy place. Im all for Piracy as I was part of this community back then too. Lets make GBATemp great again!

Reactions: Jayro and Piluvr

Lightyose

True Light
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I pirate but i dont think its a good thing
Well piracy (at least for my country)has some benefits...
There is no Gamestop nor EBgames in my country... (They just left this month)
So... There is no place to buy videogames....
So now there is basically nothing I can do to get cartridges or discs (EVEN CONSOLES)
This my only way to get my games for the consoles I have now....
Thanks to this Im now enjoying my gaming life!
And All thanks to the developers, You have my thanks!☺:grog:

Reactions: DarkFlare69

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-