Whats your Opinion on Piracy?

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Fun fact: I rarely ever finish pirated games since I am not motivated to play them.(Compared to my huge catalog of bought games which I play and finish.)

I remember restarting Xenoblade on my wii for quite some times since I couldn't give a damn about the time being Reyn. After buying it on 3ds though it was Reyn time at every possible moment!

Music ,movies and such are odd, I don't mind pirating those. Although I barely finish pirated movies and series as well. :unsure: I don't say pirating is wrong, some people seem to have their 'reasons' but I buy stuff in general since I get more joy out of it then.

Edit: I do not consider pirating stealing, since you could ask 'Would you have bought it if you couldn't have pirated it?' and the answer is in 99% of the cases 'No, I wouldn't have bought it.' It's not like you steal it since you download something someone else has bought and shared.(This is my vision, yours could differ but don't murder me because of this.)

Last edited by Langin,

Monado_III

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As long as I buy a fair amount of games legally, I don't mind pirating once in a while. (for reference, I do pirate some 3ds games, bit I've bought nearly 20 games legally at full price, I also have almost 15 wii u games)

I also have no problem pirating retail games where physical copies aren't being made anymore (SNES, GBA, NES, Genesis etc)

I also highly agree with this, especially when the games are super expensive or hard to find due to scalpers, rarity, etc
Edit: I do not consider pirating stealing, since you could ask 'Would you have bought it if you couldn't have pirated it?' and the answer is in 99% of the cases 'No, I wouldn't have bought it.' It's not like you steal it since you download something someone else has bought and shared.(This is my vision, yours could differ but don't murder me because of this.)

Last edited by Monado_III,

Noelemahc

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
As someone who re-buys almost everything he pirated and then played for more than five minutes, and never re-sells things he bought and played for less than five minutes, my stance on piracy is simple and straightforward:
If you do not want me to pirate something, make it easier to buy. Remove regionlock, for starters. Stop being obtuse about backward compatibility. Game is out of print? Put it on digital downloads.
If I can't buy it legally, abandonware rules apply: downloading it is preservation, not piracy.

Reactions: Hayleia

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
As someone who re-buys almost everything he pirated and then played for more than five minutes, and never re-sells things he bought and played for less than five minutes, my stance on piracy is simple and straightforward:
If you do not want me to pirate something, make it easier to buy. Remove regionlock, for starters. Stop being obtuse about backward compatibility. Game is out of print? Put it on digital downloads.
If I can't buy it legally, abandonware rules apply: downloading it is preservation, not piracy.
Agreed. I'm not going to buy a N64, a game and a TV just to try Smash 64 in weird shops without being sure it even works when I could just download it on my phone.

And about the "make it easier to buy", I'd also say "make it convenient to buy". Because I have two consoles (New and Old) that I can't link to the same NNID, which means that if I go digital, I have to buy the game twice to play it on the console I want (if I play MH with a weapon that doesn't need the camera, I can use the New 3DS's 3D, and otherwise I can play with the Circle Pad Pro on the Old 3DS) or buy it in cartridge format but then I have to swap carts to change the game I'm playing... or pirate it and install it as cia on both consoles.

Also, I'm often the contrary of your first sentence. I buy cartridges first then pirate because if I play it enough, it's annoying to stay on cartridge :P
Yeah, that's stupid, but on the other hand, buying it first increases the chances that I try the game for more than 5 minutes. And believe me, if I didn't pay for MH4U first, I would have been bored by the first quests and would never have seen that it's actually a great game if we forget about those.

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
I pirate games because i have a very short attention span, and if the game fails to keep me immersed and entrenched, it ends up being a gigantic waste of money and dust collector.

If the game is amazing and i play it from start to finish and sink at least 40 hours into it, i actually go to a store and buy it, or download it from the eshop. I prefer to have a physical cart though.

SmellyPirateMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just look at my user name

I love piracy. If I'm not gonna buy the game/movie/software/ebook anyway then it doesn't hurt anyone if I pirate it. I don't make much money so piracy allows me to afford my bills and things I can't pirate

Last edited by SmellyPirateMonkey,

GuyInDogSuit

Your friendly neighborhood guy in a dog suit.
Trophies
Website
www.sniffglueworshipsatan.com
XP
Country
United States

I like the Alestorm version best.

I pirate. I don't give a fuck. Most of the pirated games I have I owned before, so I don't feel bad downloading them. I buy most of my games through Steam, but usually after downloading them elsewhere first and trying them out to see if they're worth it. Learned my lesson after buying Evoland and completing it in 2 hours.

Reactions: smileyhead

GuyInDogSuit

Your friendly neighborhood guy in a dog suit.
Trophies
Website
www.sniffglueworshipsatan.com
XP
Country
United States
In the words of Margen67, Piracy is Right™!

I only pirate because it's an awesome money-saving technique! ^_^

Couldn't agree with you more. A lot of games, I've pirated simply because I couldn't afford them just yet, but often times I won't actually play them much unless I like it and end up buying it eventually. Except for console games, most of those are pirated because they stop printing them or they're just ridiculously high-priced, even for a used copy, and fuck them, that's why.

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

I̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶g̶r̶e̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶I̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶r̶e̶c̶o̶m̶m̶e̶n̶d̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶o̶n̶e̶.̶

I only think piracy is wrong if you're pirating modern titles and depriving active devs of their money. I personally don't care if you pirate an obscure SNES game that was never released in you country (e.g. Fire Emblem, though that's not exactly what I would call obscure anymore...)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: F