Gaming What's Virgin Broadband Uk Like?

ThePowerOutage

The Lord of the Flyes
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Basically what the title says. Moving house soon and getting Virgin 10Mb/s Fibre Optic on the Broadband, T.V. and Calls package.
However, can't find a download limit or fair usage policy. Is there one, and if there is, Where can I find it?
Also, do you find you get the speed advertised?
Are they tied with the IWF, and do they choke us parrots?
Thanks in advance

Lee79

Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
If you download more then 3 Gbs between 7am and 11PM they throttle your speed to 1MB/s for the next 7 hours from when you reach the limt, so do all your downloading at night. Plus you get access to there newsgroup (usernet) server (news.virginmedia.com) with about 7 days retention and 20 connections for free, Which is what I use for the latest release's and Torrent's for older stuff and they have not been passing on users IP address to law firms like BT and Sky. I have 10MB/s and most of the time the speed test are spot on plus or minus a few KB/S. I have been with them since 2005 when it was NTL in my area and download alot of stuff and never had a warning letter of anything.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ah, I remember the days of ntl: too.
tongue.gif

Our connection is 10Mb too, and it's hard for me to imagine having to be restricted by a download limit, although it's usually limited to general browsing and watching videos, IM, and the occasional Steam game downloading; that sort of thing.

Da Mafia

Trophies
XP
Country
Here's the details on traffic management.

http://shop.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-m...ent-policy.html

As for speed, you should be getting exactly what you pay for, except for when your being traffic managed.

For service they're great, i've been with them for a long time, and the most problems i've had have actually been in the last month or so since I upgraded to 50MB, but I think thats due to them upgrading upload speeds and them getting ready to launch a 100MB service.

Am0s

Mojo Risin
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I was on virgin about 3 yrs ago and well it was much better when it was telewest as I lived in the south at that time, but when virgin took over it all went balls up for me anyway, they rolled out that 20mb connection and I was lucky to get 7mb and the indian call centre was way below par, with the usenet thing from virgin you want to be carefull with the DEA because virgin and sky approve of the bill and you might get a nasty letter from a solicitor demanding money.

I moved to bethere ADSL2 and its brill and get 1.7mbs all day long fast enough for me
smile.gif

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
If I recall, you don't get a "nasty letter from a solicitor demanding money" until after you've had at least 2 C&D warnings.

I've been wondering about switching to Virgin for a while now. They can give a 50Mbs connection, and last I heard, they were rolling out 100Mbs in responce to the 21C move by BT to get 20Mbs broadband nationwide. They once claimed to be able to switch to 200Mbs "super broadband" at any time, but were just waiting for their only competition (BT) to catch up.

For now, I'm on PlusNet Unlimited, which is simply cheaper than all the competition (living in the middle of the capital helps there) and gives me no limits to my downloads (even if speeds are somewhat slower in the middle of the day). It's only 8Mbs, but that's good enough for me for now.

Am0s

Mojo Risin
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Originality said:
If I recall, you don't get a "nasty letter from a solicitor demanding money" until after you've had at least 2 C&D warnings.

it depends where you get reported, if its on a torrent then there are reports of people of having no such warnings and getting a nice fine from ACL Law,I dont know if they changed it now but when I was with virgin their usenet servers did not have any ssl login, so getting anything off that server increases the risk of getting caught, anyway I used to be with them for years but had an horrible experience with them.

Matthew

Trophies
XP
Country
Great service, good connection, only problem came froma dogdy instalation which is now fixed.

Basicaly it was a simple short circuit.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have their best broadband offer, unlimited downloads fastest speed going around and all that.

Downloaded more then they wanted me to do, so they reduced the speed at peak times.

Not exactly why I'm paying top money for really is it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill