Hacking What's the best way to install Wiiware/VC games' wads and launch them through USB Loader GX?

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No worries. I don't think you are taking advantage. We all have real lives that take priority.

Anyway, about the dol file. I know you say you have a dol downloaded from a week ago but since you have PriiLoader autoboot in into USB Loader GX there is a possibility that it is booting an older version. You see because in order for PriiLoader to autoboot, the .dol file has to be installed into the Wii. The right thing to do would be to install the Forwarder .dol file so that PriiLoader will autoboot the forwarder which will then launch the loader dol in the apps folder. But if you have installed the full version of USB Loader GX dol file into PriiLoader then it will always boot that version and ignore whatever dol file is in your apps folder. I hope I'm explaining this well for you and that you are getting it. If not, don't worry because I will still get things working for you anyways. Lol.

It can get even worse. :P If you have the actual loader's dol installed in Priiloader when you update you end up with the new version on your SD and the old one booting at start.

jugi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It can get even worse. :P If you have the actual loader's dol installed in Priiloader when you update you end up with the new version on your SD and the old one booting at start.
Hi,
Is it possible to play NTSC games on a PAL wii?

jugi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
FINE DONT REPLY TO ME

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

i will ignore everyone

please

Clutz450

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, it seems to be working now.
I deleted the previous nand dump, reset USB Loader GX's settings do default, made a new dump, installed Super Mario Bros, set it to be launched with cIOS 250, and now it seems to work.

I'm still having only two problems:
  • the screen is stretched to 16:9, and setting a per-game option to force 4:3 doesn't seem to do anything. Is that normal, or is there a way to use the original ratio?
  • using GreyWolf's advice for game titles doesn't work, even with "download titles from GameTDB" SMB and SMB3 are still named FAGP and FCWP (or something similar); the cover download just fine. Can I set the name of individual games manually?

Do you know how to post a syscheck? If not follow this guide here (https://gbatemp.net/threads/posting-a-system-check.300279/) and post it for me to see.

The Virtual Console titles not displaying correctly happened to me too and for some reason it kinda fixed itself. So I'd say don't worry about it right now. Keep tweaking everything else and if when you think you are done and it still isn't displaying the proper names we can revisit that issue and try to troubleshoot.

As for the game displaying in 16:9 instead 4:3 I don't know if that can be changed. Someone else would have to help you with that.

Hi,

You really should create your own thread and stay in there instead of hikacking someone elses. I'm sorry no one responded to your question yet. But just be patient and if no one answers you after a few days then bump your thread. Eventually someone will answer.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FINE DONT REPLY TO ME

please
I can't see that you've posted if I'm not online, dum-dum. As Clutz450 said, make your own thread about what you're asking, or better yet search the existing posts. It's been asked and answered numerous times in the past.

random_human_being_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi,

Before asking, you might want to take a look at this guide; it's really noob friendly and helped me a lot when I was taking my first steps (which was, well... three days ago).

As for the game displaying in 16:9 instead 4:3 I don't know if that can be changed. Someone else would have to help you with that.

Ok, so apparently that's just how the Wii VC works, and the correct ratio is only displayed on WiiU... which is really a bummer, NES and SNES games in widescreen are just painful to look at.

Oh well, I'll use a PC emulator for these, and keep the VC for N64 games.

I'll be back shortly with the SysCheck output.

Are Wii homebrew still under so much development? I thought that, 5 years after the Wii has reached the end of it life-cycle, most of the community would have moved on to working with 3DS and WiiU.

Clutz450

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are Wii homebrew still under so much development? I thought that, 5 years after the Wii has reached the end of it life-cycle, most of the community would have moved on to working with 3DS and WiiU.

Oh definitely. Maybe not as much as when it first came out. Cyan still updates his USB Loader GX program. He used to push updates almost regularly but since the Wii U has been hacked he's been messing around with that.

Last edited by Clutz450,

random_human_being_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well, I managed to fix everything. That is, the aspect ratio of VC games is still 16:9, but that's because Nintendo didn't bother to fix it until WiiU came out, so the only workaround is fiddling with my TV settings every time (which I'm not going to do).

I'll edit my first post with the details of what I did, should some other poor soul have the same issues.

Reactions: Clutz450

ngs428

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I managed to fix everything. That is, the aspect ratio of VC games is still 16:9, but that's because Nintendo didn't bother to fix it until WiiU came out, so the only workaround is fiddling with my TV settings every time (which I'm not going to do).

I'll edit my first post with the details of what I did, should some other poor soul have the same issues.

Yes, changing your tv settings is probably the easiest. Just a few button presses to cycle through the formats. Or if I am not mistaken you could set your Wii to output 4:3 instead of widescreen. That is in the Wii system menu. To me that is more of a pain though.

Thanks for updating your first post. It helps when people do that. Glad you got things figured out.

goodeddie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand that installing Virtual Console games is as easy as installing their wad file; once this is done, and I have their channel on my Wii system menu, can I launch them from USB Loader GX?

Also, what are the possible risks of installing these games? Do I just risk a banner brick if I'm not careful, or could I cause some more serious kind of brick?

SOLVED: I used the emunand feature of USB Loader GX to play them:
  • I opened the settings and, in the Features submenu, I selected Dump nand to emunand; when asked, I chose a complete dump. This created a circa 200MB folder on my SD
  • on the PC, I put the .wad files of the games I wanted to install in the root of the SD card
  • back on the Wii, I reopened Features and selected Emunand WAD manager (or something similar, I don't exactly remember), which prompted me to choose a .wad file. I selected the files I had previously put on the SD, and waited for them to install
  • to display them alongside other games I clicked, at the top of the screen, on the fourth icon from the left, the one that looks like a Wii (sort of); this opened a menu, where I ticked emunand channels
  • while the last step showed the games I had just installed, it also displayed some channels which had been pointlessly copied to the emunand; to remove this I selected one of them, clicked on Settings > Game Load and uninstalled it. Rinse and repeat for every channel.
  • Launching games installed on emunand might crash instantly if the cIOS used for them is an "alt" type. According to what I read, "alt" cIOSs might not work for VC games, depending on the type and manufacturer of the SD. This is easily solved by selecting a game that crashes, going into Settings > Game Load and, in the Use IOS line, switching Global with the number of a slot that has a cIOS which is not "alt" (for me, it was 250)
  • You'll notice that games are stretched to 16:9. While that can, apparently, be changed on a virtual Wii, for an actual Wii that's the only option Nintendo gives us
  • Also, if the games' names are not inserted automatically, you can just edit them yourself. In the setting menu, under (I think) GUI Settings, there is an option to see the disk spinning instead of the banner animation. Select that and close the setting menu. Then open any game you want to rename and, above the spinning disc, you'll see its name. Click on it (on the middle of the name) and type whatever you want. You can then put back the banner animation. (also, turn on Cache titles, otherwise the names will be reset as soon as the Wii is switched off)

Which cIOS did you install and which base IOS did you use to install the cIOS? And did you have to install IOS56 before you installed the cIOS? I wonder if I have the same issue as you where I need to use the non-alt version of d2x v10 cIOS.

Last edited by goodeddie,

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which cIOS did you install and which base IOS did you use to install the cIOS? And did you have to install IOS56 before you installed the cIOS? I wonder if I have the same issue as you where I need to use the non-alt version of d2x v10 cIOS.

He was talking about launching the games directly from the system menu. You have to either purchase the game or patch system IOSes to get Trucha-signed WW/VC titles to run from the system menu.

goodeddie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He was talking about launching the games directly from the system menu. You have to either purchase the game or patch system IOSes to get Trucha-signed WW/VC titles to run from the system menu.

I thought we were all talking about running WiiWare/VC off USB Loader GX...at least that's what I'm trying to do...

I'm trying to run WW/VC installed on my EmuNand.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought we were all talking about running WiiWare/VC off USB Loader GX...at least that's what I'm trying to do...

I'm trying to run WW/VC installed on my EmuNand.

The post you quoted was referring to running them from the system menu. :)

You only need to dump your NAND from within GX and install the WAD to it. Both are located in the features menu at the bottom of the list.

goodeddie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Umm "I understand that installing Virtual Console games is as easy as installing their wad file; once this is done, and I have their channel on my Wii system menu, can I launch them from USB Loader GX?"

I've already dumped my real nand to the emunand and installed the wad to the emunand. When I try to load the game, it crashes and brings me back to the homebrew channel.

I think this is my solution
  • Launching games installed on emunand might crash instantly if the cIOS used for them is an "alt" type. According to what I read, "alt" cIOSs might not work for VC games, depending on the type and manufacturer of the SD. This is easily solved by selecting a game that crashes, going into Settings> Game Load and, in the Use IOS line, switching Global with the number of a slot that has a cIOS which is not "alt" (for me, it was 250)
but I can't validate it until I get home.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Umm "I understand that installing Virtual Console games is as easy as installing their wad file; once this is done, and I have their channel on my Wii system menu, can I launch them from USB Loader GX?"

I've already dumped my real nand to the emunand and installed the wad to the emunand. When I try to load the game, it crashes and brings me back to the homebrew channel.

I think this is my solution
  • Launching games installed on emunand might crash instantly if the cIOS used for them is an "alt" type. According to what I read, "alt" cIOSs might not work for VC games, depending on the type and manufacturer of the SD. This is easily solved by selecting a game that crashes, going into Settings> Game Load and, in the Use IOS line, switching Global with the number of a slot that has a cIOS which is not "alt" (for me, it was 250)
but I can't validate it until I get home.

Yes, the d2x alt version has emunand compatibility issues. It's really only needed if you need both USB ports to work with loaders, though. Most VC/WW works fine with d2x. The ones that don't like many N64 games, Konami Rebirth titles and Bonsai Barber will require either you install them to NAND or use NEEK.

You CAN launch titles installed to your real NAND from GX. You just need to enable the "NAND" option in the title type options. (Looks like console and floppy/cartridge in the toolbar)

Last edited by GreyWolf,

Clutz450

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(Looks like console and floppy/cartridge in the toolbar)
Alright. Let's settle this once and for all. @Cyan What is that 4th icon from the left supposed to be? :ha:

Edit:
Oops. Thought this was the USB Loader GX thread. Either way, curious minds (mainly me) want to know.

Last edited by Clutz450,

goodeddie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright. Let's settle this once and for all. @Cyan What is that 4th icon from the left supposed to be? :ha:

Edit:
Oops. Thought this was the USB Loader GX thread. Either way, curious minds (mainly me) want to know.

The fourth icon is the one that filters what type of games you want to show.

And I've installed d2x v10 beta 52 (no alt) base 56 on 250 and the WiiWare still brings me back to the Wii System Menu. Could it be that I'm using a Western Digital Passport HDD?

Clutz450

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Normally base 56 is installed in 249. That's fine that you installed it in 250 but USB Loader GX defaults to using 249. So try changing the global settings to load using 250 and then try again. See if that works.

The fourth icon is the one that filters what type of games you want to show.

I know that that icon does. I was just wondering what the picture was supposed to be. I always called it an SD card next to a Wii. Other people have described it differently.

Last edited by Clutz450,

goodeddie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Normally base 56 is installed in 249. That's fine that you installed it in 250 but USB Loader GX defaults to using 249. So try changing the global settings to load using 250 and then try again. See if that works.

Actually I moved back to 249. I installed d2x v10 beta 52 (no alt) base 56 into 249 and all my WiiWare are using 249. One new thing I did was I deleted all the channels I could from the Wii System Menu and then made a new nand dump using USB Loader GX feature and now when I run the game, it shows a little bit of the controller warnings and then says my Wii system files are corrupt.

Clutz450

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually I moved back to 249. I installed d2x v10 beta 52 (no alt) base 56 into 249 and all my WiiWare are using 249. One new thing I did was I deleted all the channels I could from the Wii System Menu and then made a new nand dump using USB Loader GX feature and now when I run the game, it shows a little bit of the controller warnings and then says my Wii system files are corrupt.

I know it's not ideal but maybe it's time to just start over. I'm sure there's a way to help you from the point you're at now but I'm out of ideas right now. If you do decide to start over, I highly recommend this guide below:

http://www.wiihacks.com/showthread.php?t=96886

I have never had any problems after following this guide and neither has anyone I recommended it to. After that I'll know exactly where you are at and can guide you further forward.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Carotenemia causes skin to appear orange-ish in color. Orange Pi. Carotenemia Pussy. Get it. lolol +1