What’s the best way of installing game? Is it on a USB or an SD?

YamiJustin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It’s 2022 and a lot of guides I see are pretty old. I understand the system is old but want the latest information. I recently installed tiramisu on the Wii U, but am unsure where to go from here.

I can’t seem to determine if playing backups of Wii U/Wii/GameCube games is best when off of an SD card or a USB. I have a 128gb SD but would need to buy a USB that large.

Which method is the best in terms of reliability? The Switch, PS3, Vita, 3DS all play backups natively without a hitch, yet I’ve read some game playing methods are slow or have compatibility issues

Any advice? Thanks

RR8-1337

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Because of the Wii U reading speed i would advise to install Wii U & Wii games on a USB drive (With a power supply or Y-cable).
Also it is recommended to use a HDD drive instead of USB Flash drives because of the reliability and limited number of rewrites

Gamecube games also runs well either on USB or SD.

YamiJustin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because of the Wii U reading speed i would advise to install Wii U & Wii games on a USB drive (With a power supply or Y-cable).
Also it is recommended to use a HDD drive instead of USB Flash drives because of the reliability and limited number of rewrites

Gamecube games also runs well either on USB or SD.
Thank you. What app is best in 2022 for installing and playing games directly off of a USB (or an external HDD as you recommended)? Can Gamecube games be installed in the same way? And what about Virtual Console games? Years back I also hacked the vWii-side, but now I've heard it's better not to mess with vWii and somehow install those games/apps directly onto the Wii U menu somehow

YamiJustin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can't "install" games on the sd. Loadiine can play them, yes. But loadiine is not recommended these days anymore. Usb is the way to go.
Any suggestion on what app or tool is used? I only have the homebrew channel on the Wii U. I bought a 128gb SD but sounds like it was kind of a waste, and I'll have to go the HDD route (or might have to use USB for the time being)

YamiJustin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nvm my friends. I got cold feet and decided to remove Tiramisu. I was doing this for a friend, just like I did her 3DS. For some reason the Daily Log app causes error 160-0103, and idk if this was an issue before I did anything.

I've been following those official hacking guides for years, have installed CFW on PSP, PS3, 3DS, Switch, (and Wii + Wii U years ago). So I know I didn't mess up. I removed Tiramisu following the guide and had no issues (I didn't have any issues with the initial hack. Could get onto homebrew launcher and download apps)

Until I hear back from someone I'm just going to backup all my friends Wii and Wii U saves on an SD card and then factory reset. Idk what else to do.

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It’s 2022 and a lot of guides I see are pretty old. I understand the system is old but want the latest information. I recently installed tiramisu on the Wii U, but am unsure where to go from here.

I can’t seem to determine if playing backups of Wii U/Wii/GameCube games is best when off of an SD card or a USB. I have a 128gb SD but would need to buy a USB that large.

Which method is the best in terms of reliability? The Switch, PS3, Vita, 3DS all play backups natively without a hitch, yet I’ve read some game playing methods are slow or have compatibility issues

Any advice? Thanks
The best way is by putting your SD card in your PC and using custom-install! There is no faster way! https://github.com/ihaveamac/custom-install/releases

YamiJustin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The best way is by putting your SD card in your PC and using custom-install! There is no faster way! https://github.com/ihaveamac/custom-install/releases
Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it. Truth be told I was doing this for a good friend, having just hacked her 3DS. But I got cold feet at the prospect of bricking it, so I uninstalled Tiramisu. I had no issues during the initial payload install nor during uninstallation. But I noticed the Daily Log app crashes the system. Idk if this was an issue BEFORE my brief Tiramisu install. But I legit did nothing besides install the homebrew channel store. I am having no other issues, but am hesitant to simply factory reset

YamiJustin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dunno what you did wrong, but tiramisu works fine.
I'm not saying it doesn't. But the fact is this app crashes with that error, this Daily Log app. Even if I make a new profile. I've tested all the other apps + a Wii game and they all work fine, as well as all the settings. It's legit just that Daily Log app.

Since I cannot determine whether that was an issue before or after, the only thing I can do is remove Tiramisu and tell my friend I was too overwhelmed by the options to do it.

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait... USB Flash drives have a limited number of rewrites?
Yes, as does all flash storage. On the Wii U it's made much worse by the fact that the operating system constantly writes to whatever drive you're using for Wii U games, whether you're using it or not. Even Nintendo recommended against using flash media for this purpose.

I don't believe flash drives with other file systems or the SD slot are affected, only drives formatted for Wii U games. USB HDDs don't have limited rewrites and are only really affected by wear and tear or physical damage. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong).

SoraJr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, as does all flash storage. On the Wii U it's made much worse by the fact that the operating system constantly writes to whatever drive you're using for Wii U games, whether you're using it or not. Even Nintendo recommended against using flash media for this purpose.

I don't believe flash drives with other file systems or the SD slot are affected, only drives formatted for Wii U games. USB HDDs don't have limited rewrites and are only really affected by wear and tear or physical damage. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong).
Wow, I literally play games like crazy and read this. Just bought a 128 GB USB...

nikeymikey

This is now a Spiderman thread.........
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not saying it doesn't. But the fact is this app crashes with that error, this Daily Log app. Even if I make a new profile. I've tested all the other apps + a Wii game and they all work fine, as well as all the settings. It's legit just that Daily Log app.

Since I cannot determine whether that was an issue before or after, the only thing I can do is remove Tiramisu and tell my friend I was too overwhelmed by the options to do it.
I would reinstall but this time go for the full Aroma install. Don't worry about the Daily Log app. Just tell your friend to not use that app if it is still an issue.
As for installing games, you need an SD and a USB hdd along with tehj homebrew program WUP Installer GX2. Use WiiU USB Helper to get your games, then put them in a folder called "install" on the root of your SD card. Then launch WUP installer and it will list the games in that folder. Click install on any you want to install and let the console do its thing.
Tiramisu/Aroma is the best brick protection you can have on the Wii U.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Wow, I literally play games like crazy and read this. Just bought a 128 GB USB...
I suggest unplugging the USB when you're not playing, as the Wii U apparently writes to the USB storage even in sleep mode. Some people apparently have had USB flash drives fail in a matter of weeks.
It doesn't help that USB flash drives are typically made of the cheapest bottom of the barrel flash memory. They're not made to last.
Long term you should switch to an external HDD or SSD. I recommend a SSD, 500/512 GB ones can be had cheaply these days, 1 TB ones are still relatively cheap, and the Wii U seems able to power them without the need for a Y-cable, which is a big pro. I got a 500 GB Adata external SSD for my cousin to replace the 3.5" external they had that was failing and it works well powered from USB and is much smaller as well. I also expect it to last longer than the HDD did, HDDs never seem to last.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
without the need for a Y-cable
There's a mod available to remove that artificial 500 mA limit Nintendo putted in place. It's one IC per USB port which cuts the power when > 500 mA gets drawn and the mod is to simply bridge the 5 V rail over these ICs.

the 3.5" external
It's better to use 2.5" HDDs as they require less power (with a 3.5" one a Y cable might still not deliver enough power under some load scenarios).

I also expect it to last longer than the HDD did, HDDs never seem to last.
Not sure what brands you buy but I have 15 years old HDDs running just finen (some of them 24/7). My oldest still running HDDs are way older than my SSDs. There's just one brand I trust through: Wester Digital. Had bad experiences with others.
Also so far I was able to recover the data of all except one failing HDD. That one was helium filled and the helium leaked out. Sadly I can't say the same about flash based media.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
There's a mod available to remove that artificial 500 mA limit Nintendo putted in place. It's one IC per USB port which cuts the power when > 500 mA gets drawn and the mod is to simply bridge the 5 V rail over these ICs.

It's better to use 2.5" HDDs as they require less power (with a 3.5" one a Y cable might still not deliver enough power under some load scenarios).

Not sure what brands you buy but I have 15 years old HDDs running just finen (some of them 24/7). My oldest still running HDDs are way older than my SSDs. There's just one brand I trust through: Wester Digital. Had bad experiences with others.
Also so far I was able to recover the data of all except one failing HDD. That one was helium filled and the helium leaked out. Sadly I can't say the same about flash based media.
Yes you can bridge the power pins, but you are still limited to the same total power, if you want to use 2 USB HDDs as well as USB peripherals, it could be not enough, so it's not an ideal solution (and many people understandably might not be willing to hardware mod their Wii U when other solutions exist)

You are mistaken. There are no 3.5" drives that are USB powered. 3.5" drives always have a separate power supply, they run on 12V and not the 5V that USB provides and draw far too much power for USB.
2.5" drives on the other hand are always USB powered, some of them might support an external power supply but I've never seen one that actually came with it in the box.
So if you don't mind the extra bulk, a 3.5" drive is the best way to ensure you will not encounter any power related issues using external HDDs on the WIi U. Some people still encounter issues using 2.5" drives even with a Y-cable.
I can't 100% vouch for external SSDs not needing a Y-cable, I've only tested it with 1 drive and I'm guessing that a m.2 SSD in a USB enclosure might draw more power since m.2 is not designed to be connected through USB and is not made with USB power limits in mind. But at the least, they don't see the power spikes that HDDs do because they don't need to spin up, and in theory an SSD will just slow down its read/write speed if it doesn't have enough power (which would not be an issue for Wii/Wii U usage)
More testing of different SSDs by other people is needed to confirm for sure whether all of them work without a Y-cable or only some/most of them.

I have 10 year old HDDs running fine. I also have several drives that failed around the 1 year mark or developed small amounts of bad sectors leading to corrupted data and flakey operation. They're really inconsistent, and you don't know if a HDD is going to last until it makes it past the 1 year mark with no signs of failure in SMART info. After that, a drive is usually good for at least 5 years.
2.5" drives seem to fail a lot more often than 3.5" for me though. I've had nothing but trouble with them for the past decade, but all my 3.5" drives have lasted more than 5 years.
I don't have any 15 year old drives still in operation though. Drives from that time were so small that I've long since replaced them with something bigger. They still work last I checked, but they haven't been in use for a long time.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: jeannotte

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yes you can bridge the power pins, but you are still limited to the same total power
No, you misdunderstand: You Bridge the unlimitted 5V rail the Wii U uses for everything more or less directly to USB VCC. So you completely remove that limit. Had 2 HDDs, a LAN adapter and a GameCube controller adapter (connected through some Kind of reverse Y cable) connected at the same time and it worked. ;)
You are mistaken. There are no 3.5" drives that are USB powered. 3.5" drives always have a separate power supply, they run on 12V and not the 5V that USB provides and draw far too much power for USB.
I'm not purchasing external HDDs but internal ones + SATA to USB adapters, so different view for me but yea, I see your point.

Reactions: The Real Jdbye

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think Switch 2 will launch about Christmas this year lol