Memorex DVD R
Optical Quantum DVDR
Pioneer DVD R
Philips DVD R
Samsung DVD R
Taiyo Yuden DVDR
TDK DVD R
Verbatim DVD R

which brand?!??!? (cheepness also comes in handy though)

modshroom128

OP
Trophies
Website
modshroom128.imgur.com
XP
Country
United States
ok, heres my delema... either go with a "PROFESSIONAL GRADE" Taiyo Yuden 100 pack of dvd-r, for 28 dollars... or go with a "PREMIUM GRADE" Riteck 100 pack of dvd-r ***WITH FREE MICROSD 256MB***

i realy want the microsd... but i want to be sure i get good burns.

WHAT SHOULD I BUY?!?!?!?

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Get the TYs. Don't fall for a sales gimmick if you really want good disks.
If you want some poorer quality discs and a Micro-SD why not just buy them separately? It might state "FREE" but you are still paying for it.
TY are the best media hands down.

modshroom128

OP
Trophies
Website
modshroom128.imgur.com
XP
Country
United States
ok, i went with the TY's

**** the microsd card
smile.gif

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
As long as they're TY -R's, because although I've had no problem with +R TY for gamecube games, they sometimes don't play nice when you burn dvd movies....but that could be players. And the G04 and G05's from Ritek are great media as well, I dont think you can go wrong there. I just got 200 verbatim -R 16x dvdrs and I've never used them, but I'd imagine they're quality since way back in the days, Datalife Blue verbatims ruled the CDR land. But of the Ritek/Verbatim/TY.....can't really lose with any of them I think but TY has a nicer reputation around the internet....but I haven't really seen any advantages with them versus Ritek.

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
As long as they're TY -R's, because although I've had no problem with +R TY for gamecube games, they sometimes don't play nice when you burn dvd movies....but that could be players. And the G04 and G05's from Ritek are great media as well, I dont think you can go wrong there. I just got 200 verbatim -R 16x dvdrs and I've never used them, but I'd imagine they're quality since way back in the days, Datalife Blue verbatims ruled the CDR land. But of the Ritek/Verbatim/TY.....can't really lose with any of them I think but TY has a nicer reputation around the internet....but I haven't really seen any advantages with them versus Ritek.
Any +R disc can have a problem with DVD players particularly if you don't change the booktype.
Ritek have been used with some great success in many modded Gamecubes but are known for being variable in quality. Taiyo Yuden media has earned it's rep. Check out burning forums like CD Freaks to see why.
Verbatim is a great company and almost all their media is good, some of it is great. Verbatim get their recording layers from other companies though so the quality does vary. Though as they tend to use quality recording layers the quality doesn't seem to vary much between the same type of Verbatim blanks.
There were certainly great Verbatim datalife CD-R discs but they couldn't (and still don't) compare better than TY CD-Rs.

Of course this is no hard set rule. You'll have to see what your burner makes of a particular disc. Different burners handle different media.. differently. As do different firmware revisions for the burner.

TY Rocks though!

jtroye32

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you want the best of the best get TY. verbatim is next in line and in my opinion are the better buy since they are significantly cheaper, especially since you can usually get a rebate deal on them. All i use for dvds are verbatim and I haven't had 1 coaster that was the media's fault.

sdoc96

Creaky Old Stiff Member
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
For Aussies, I have been using "Record" DVD-R 16X full face printable. (I burn @ 16x too, on a BenQ1640 f/w=BSRB)
Not one single DRE yet, with much testing.
I can't find anything about them on the web (although I haven't looked too hard), but they are really cheap and plentiful for spools of 50 at the swap meets. I am assured they are Verbatim by most vendors. (& www.dvd-recordable.org)
They scan extremely well on QSuite/QScan and never exceed Tracking or Focus Error. They are the best I can find, and damn cheap. Manufacture ID = MCC03

I've done a few Ritek 8X as well (Manufacture ID=RITEKG) but not enough to confidently vouch for them, yet.

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
As long as they're TY -R's, because although I've had no problem with +R TY for gamecube games, they sometimes don't play nice when you burn dvd movies....but that could be players. And the G04 and G05's from Ritek are great media as well, I dont think you can go wrong there. I just got 200 verbatim -R 16x dvdrs and I've never used them, but I'd imagine they're quality since way back in the days, Datalife Blue verbatims ruled the CDR land. But of the Ritek/Verbatim/TY.....can't really lose with any of them I think but TY has a nicer reputation around the internet....but I haven't really seen any advantages with them versus Ritek.Any +R disc can have a problem with DVD players particularly if you don't change the booktype.
Ritek have been used with some great success in many modded Gamecubes but are known for being variable in quality. Taiyo Yuden media has earned it's rep. Check out burning forums like CD Freaks to see why.
Verbatim is a great company and almost all their media is good, some of it is great. Verbatim get their recording layers from other companies though so the quality does vary. Though as they tend to use quality recording layers the quality doesn't seem to vary much between the same type of Verbatim blanks.
There were certainly great Verbatim datalife CD-R discs but they couldn't (and still don't) compare better than TY CD-Rs.

Of course this is no hard set rule. You'll have to see what your burner makes of a particular disc. Different burners handle different media.. differently. As do different firmware revisions for the burner.

TY Rocks though!

It's not I don't think TY's are good, but I just can't say they're 100% on the batch of +R discs I have. I have a hacked 3500 and a hacked 3550 NEC and I have tried changing the booktype, doesn't make a difference on some inconsistent burns. Basically on some movies some skips may occur on all my players. But otherwise you're right, they've been great and I am well aware of CDfreaks forums. I'm not so sure about the variances in batches of the Ritek's but so far I've had 0 problems with them and I've been through over 500 disks of them. Interesting thing about verbatim vs TY CD-R's is that when I started burning stuff (when 4x burners first came out and SCSI burners were considered cream of the crop), there was no question about the quality of the datalife blues....I don't think TY's were even around @ that time. Have you been using TY's with the modchip you installed shtokalot? Let me know how they work out for you and maybe I'll pick some up as well...right now I'm just waiting for the right chip though I'm not too worried about media since all I use are quality media.

Rangent

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PREMIUM GRADE DVDS:Â
  BeAll DVD RÂ
  BenQ DVD R
  Hyundai DVD R
  HQ DVD R
  Imation DVD R
  Meritline DVD R
  Matrix DVD R
  ProDisc DVD R
  Pengo DVD RÂ
  Ritek Arita DVD R
  Ritek RiData DVD R

PROFESSIONAL GRADE DVDS:Â Â Â
 Branded/Made in Jap
  HP DVD R
  Maxell DVD R
  Memorex DVD R
  Optical Quantum DVDR
  Pioneer DVD R
  Philips DVD R
  Samsung DVD R
  Taiyo Yuden DVDR
  TDK DVD R
  Verbatim DVD R

which brand?!??!? (cheepness also comes in handy though)
I'm gonna have to say a huuuuuge negatory on the HP. I just went through a spindle of them... and quite seriously had a bad burn on 1 out of every 4 or 5. I have best luck with TDKs.

Reepa

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Personally I recommend TDK DVD-R 16x burned @ 4x

7 Games burned so far, played with wiinja v1, only excite truck had DRE which disappeared after a reboot.

kristijan08

Trophies
XP
Country
im using TY +R's burning @ 12x on a pioneer 110D with 8.37 buffolo firmware (sets dvd-rom booktype) and have had no problems whatsoever! TY are always the best, get TY!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: hey sylv? do you know why gameyob crashes on the EZP?