Best type of DVD-R's to use?

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by Goofy Time, Apr 19, 2009.

Apr 19, 2009

Best type of DVD-R's to use? by Goofy Time at 2:34 PM (1,399 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. Goofy Time
    OP

Member Goofy Time GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Hehe, I ask this because I got into a wee bit of a dilemma here. I bought two brands of DVD's, TDK and Memorex, as these were the only things the store had (I recall that Verbatim is considered to be one of the best choices to burn a game). Now, this is all fine and dandy, as I aimed to use the TDK ones more, for whatever reason..until I noticed that some games would barely work on it. My copy of Valkyrie Profile 2 which I tested to try out random burn rates would constantly skip no matter what rate I burned it, and I was just puzzled by it. So, I end up using a Memorex DVD and it works without a SINGLE flaw.

Now, I'm a bit curious as while I was looking into it, I recall some searches in Google bringing up the idea that certain DVD brands and their quality can cause larger wear and tear on the lens. I've been through 3 PS2's already, and I'd like to not be put through a 4th, so what I'd like to know are what are the best brands for quality, playability, and lens reliability?

Also, I'm curious here...is Memorex reliable? Will it deter my lens at a faster rate than other DVDs? Or do I just seem to like it because it does stuff TDK had issues with? Both DVD's have the same type of ID: RITEKF1, if that matters at all.

2. velocity37

Member velocity37 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Just go with the best DVDs you can get. And by "best" I mean the ones that have the least PIE/PIF when you burn them. Neither TDK nor Memorex are really great. Discs with very high PIE/PIF will make your PS2 work harder. If your DVD drive supports it, you can check your discs PIE/PIF error rate with a tool like Nero CD-DVD Speed.

Verbatim discs aren't too great anymore, but they're certainly a lot better than other discs around their price range. Sony discs gave me awesome results the last time I used them, which was about a year ago. You should check out the Media Tests over at the CDFreaks forum. They have loads of blank DVD media test results with various hardware.

Anyways, here are some of my tests:

Sony 16x DVD-R @ 16x
    Sony 16x DVD-R @ 12x
    Verbatim 16x DVD-R @ 12x
    RiData 16x DVD+R @ 12x
    RiData 16x DVD-R @ 12x

3. Goofy Time
    OP

United States
    The Radioshack I went to only had TDK and Memorex, so that's the best I could get.

It's not so bad to use those, right?

4. velocity37

Member velocity37 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    RITEKF1 is far from the worst media you can get, but it's certainly not the best. Your DVD burner would be a more important factor. Laptop drives tend be pretty bad at burning. If your computer is older, it might not bode well either.

My LH20A1H was one of the cheapest drives available on Newegg at the time (~$24), and it burns discs very well. The RiData DVD-Rs in the above scan are absolutely horrible media (~10-15% coaster rate) and the ones it burned still ended up with a respectable 0.04 avg PIF.

Anyways, if ordering media online is not feasible for you then Memorex will do.

Right now Newegg has 100 packs of Verbatim 16x DVD-Rs on sale for $22.99 no rebate.

5. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    I just use sony DVD+R and verbatium DVD+R
    never had a coaster (burned over 45 games)

6. Sstew

Member Sstew GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.

United States
    I'd go with a Verbatim DVD-R or a Sony DVD-R they seem to be the best brand they last a long time, and I haven't burned a bad disk yet (30+ burns).

7. Goofy Time
    OP

United States
    Well, I bought these, and I'd rather use them..considering I wouldn't want to spend even more money [​IMG]

And Newegg is sold out of that DVD pack, anyway ;3

As long as Memorex discs won't turn my PS2 laser into shit with short use, I'm fine. If it takes years, I won't mind [​IMG]