Hacking What's stopping online multiplayer from working with the Gateway?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Yes but that can be prevented by manually disabling wifi, right? Or blocking your 3ds mac address at your router for even more protection.
I mean for the adventerous people, we could risk it, and avoid pressing A.
In either case, it's unreasonable for Gateway to deliberately disable wifi (if that's indeed the case, perhaps it's a bug they are working to fix).
Yeah, just saying people keep updating their systems anyways because they're careless.

EDIT: Though it's not like wifi is always a given in hacked systems anyways. The PSP and PS3 showed that hacks need to be done to get wifi access on older firmwares for years.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Maybe it's like that Daigasso Band Brothers DS game where the dumped ROM was blocked from online? Someone should try an unreleased dump to check, but unfortunately that's not possible. Then again, by that logic a game that JUST got dumped should work as well, which they probably don't. It would be a pretty effective way to stop online piracy though, especially now that there's only a few people with dumpers.

KvinMoreaux

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's actually written on every game case that if you modify your console or use unauthorised devices to play on your system, the game and/or the console could be rendered unusable. You're being warned beforehand, and then bricking (if it someday gets possible) is the consequence for that.

That don't change the fact, it's illegal in my country and if they say aything different in the contract (eula) the contract is not valid.

Reactions: Celice

joepassive

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
I think it's like this.
You buy a video game system. it's yours. you can modify it and do anything u want to it.
But the online is a service provided by some company. and they can, for whatever reason, ban you from it, but they can not Harm your system.
Best Example: Xbox 360

MegaAce™

Steal back your future.
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I think it's like this.
You buy a video game system. it's yours. you can modify it and do anything u want to it.
But the online is a service provided by some company. and they can, for whatever reason, ban you from it, but they can not Harm your system.

That's understandable. Nintendo/Microsoft is excluding everyone who has a modified console from their services.

earny

Trophies
XP
Country
France
plus the fact, if you can afford a gateway, you can pay too to buy a 2nd 3DS, 1 to play online, buy stuff on eshop, and play title that you like (pokemon,xy, ACNL) , and 1 to play offline

TheDreamLord

Trophies
Website
darkraino1.zymichost.com
XP
Country
plus the fact, if you can afford a gateway, you can pay too to buy a 2nd 3DS, 1 to play online, buy stuff on eshop, and play title that you like (pokemon,xy, ACNL) , and 1 to play offline

This is bullshit. I hate that kind of argument.

If I buy an $80 Gateway, that instantly means I have an extra $120-$130 to spare?

Reactions: ßleck and Queno138

back25

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes but that can be prevented by manually disabling wifi, right? Or blocking your 3ds mac address at your router for even more protection.
I mean for the adventerous people, we could risk it, and avoid pressing A.
In either case, it's unreasonable for Gateway to deliberately disable wifi (if that's indeed the case, perhaps it's a bug they are working to fix).

I've emailed Gateway to see if it's intentional or not. Will update everyone if they reply.

Have you not received a reply yet? I'm curious about this.
Also sorry for derailing.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
and bricked soon enough.
Load of poppycock. No bricking has or ever will occur, stop with the fear mongering.

The Gateway doesn't go online likely due to a restriction in the Gateway itself - the developers mentioned that they don't want users to go online in their FAQ releases. There's nothing that'd stop the Gateway from going online hardware-wise so it's most likely a software precaution as to prevent the Gateway from getting banned (there very well may be differences between how a normal cart is read and how the Gateway is read and those differences could lead to a flashcart ban as far as online in concerned - not something the Gateway team wants to deal with before they investigate further into the matter).
yep ill be buying y and a whole separate 3ds(maybe 2ds) to play pokemon XD
And why would you do that? There's no way for Nintendo to establish whether or not you ever used a flashcart and even if there was, there's no way for them to ban you or suspend you as the base infrastructure doesn't support that functionality. Some titles are exceptions, such as Mario Kart, but other than that you're perfectly fine as it is. Getting a new system would be a waste, really.

Upon further inquiry I can see your point - you want to keep one machine on low firmware to keep the Gateway bootable and another up-to-date to play new original games - fair enough. ;)
It's made to be tougher. If anything, it should break LESS easily.
That's what they tell you - we won't know until we actually get to test the system. The way I see it, it's just a budget version of the system without the 3D and with a terrible mono speaker, meaning it's Nintendo's version of the PSP E-1000/PSP Street.
It's actually written on every game case that if you modify your console or use unauthorised devices to play on your system, the game and/or the console could be rendered unusable. You're being warned beforehand, and then bricking (if it someday gets possible) is the consequence for that.
Don't extend what you're being told beyond what you're actually being told. What this notice means is that if for example you use an AR Code and that code is buggered, it might influence the game, for example freeze it and indeed render it inoperable. If you use an unlicensed cartridge and that cartridge is buggered, it could damage your system. If you shove a soggy toast into your 3DS, you might damage it. It does not extend to bricking or otherwise destroying the hardware by Nintendo which is illegal and will not happen ever.

There's a big difference between goods and services. When you go into a store and buy a games console, that console is yours and if you feel like it, you can shove soggy toasts into it to your heart's content. A service on the other hand is not something you own, it's something you subscribe to and have to follow the rules of in order to continue using it.

With a service, you practically sign a contract and have to follow it in order to use it - you do no such thing when you buy goods, for example a console.

This is why you can be banned from an online service for not following the rules but your system cannot be harmed regardless of what you do with it.

tl;dr you can get banned from services as you don't own the service, your system cannot be bricked because you are its legal owner.

Reactions: Rydian

reaper527

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's like this.

depends on your system of harm. ms did some pretty shitty things to your xbox360 if you got banned, including deleting your console's signing key from the onboard eeprom so that anything your console touched (game saves, profiles, etc.) would appear corrupted on any other system, and disabling the consoles ability to install games offline. (they eventually backtracked from the game installation, but not the corruption). all of this was in addition to the expected condition of not being able to access live servers.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
And why would you do that? There's no way for Nintendo to establish whether or not you ever used a flashcart and even if there was, there's no way for them to ban you or suspend you as the base infrastructure doesn't support that functionality. Some titles are exceptions, such as Mario Kart, but other than that you're perfectly fine as it is. Getting a new system would be a waste, really.
I'm guessing because A. He wants to play the games online which the Gateway can't do
B. He doesn't want to update his 3DS (which would be necessary if you want to play the original games)

That's what they tell you - we won't know until we actually get to test the system. The way I see it, it's just a budget version of the system without the 3D and with a terrible mono speaker, meaning it's Nintendo's version of the PSP E-1000/PSP Street.
True, the general build quality is unknown, but from my experience the hinge is generally the weakest part and they got rid of that, so it ought to be a bit harder to break (especially to snap in half).

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm guessing because A. He wants to play the games online which the Gateway can't do
B. He doesn't want to update his 3DS (which would be necessary if you want to play the original games)
You are not required to update the firmware in order to play online.
True, the general build quality is unknown, but from my experience the hinge is generally the weakest part and they got rid of that, so it ought to be a bit harder to break (especially to snap in half).
Without the hinge, the screens are no longer protected from external damage - everything's a trade-off. :)

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You are not required to update the firmware in order to play online.

Without the hinge, the screens are no longer protected from external damage - everything's a trade-off. :)
But you ARE required to update the firmware to play Pokemon X and Y, so for playing these online you'd still need to update.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
But you ARE required to update the firmware to play Pokemon X and Y, so for playing these online you'd still need to update.
*cough cough* The Gateway spoofs firmware, it's just that it blocks online. *cough cough*

That being said, I suppose I see your point - the cartridge would attempt to update the system, rendering it Gateway-incompatible. It has nothing to do with online though, just with the original cartridge refusing to boot without an update. ;)

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
*cough cough* The Gateway spoofs firmware, it's just that it blocks online. *cough cough*

That being said, I suppose I see your point - the cartridge would attempt to update the system, rendering it Gateway-incompatible. It has nothing to do with online though, just with the original cartridge refusing to boot without an update. ;)
A. The original cart won't boot without updating
B. The fake cart (gateway) has no online
Ergo, your only way to play online is to update.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they...