Hacking What's stopping online multiplayer from working with the Gateway?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
A. The original cart won't boot without updating
B. The fake cart (gateway) has no online
Ergo, your only way to play online is to update.

*sighs* You're missing my point. What I was saying was that lower firmware does not restrict you from playing online (meaning connecting to the Network) - what it does restrict is whether the cart will boot or not. ;)

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
*sighs* You're missing my point. What I was saying was that lower firmware does not restrict you from playing online (meaning connecting to the Network) - what it does restrict is whether the cart will boot or not. ;)
That is true, but because the gateway doesn't support online the only way is to update with the legit cart, even though it's not really necessary to play online. Hence the need for a second 3DS.

Gurjas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey a question what if i get a gateway and use it on my ntsc u 3ds and play japanese games? and after i want to update it for pokemon x and y would anything happen to my 3ds such as a ban or no online

reaper527

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*cough cough* The Gateway spoofs firmware, it's just that it blocks online. *cough cough*

that may or may not be relevant. firmware updates aren't just a way to mess with would be pirates. they can add new features, and developers can potentially use those new features in their games.

if a game makes a call that is implemented in a firmware > 4.5, no amount of spoofing will make up for that syscall not being supported in the older firmware. if a game will support an old firmware via some spoofing will always be a game specific thing.

(that being said, i expect pokemon x/y to work with the gateway just fine.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
that may or may not be relevant. firmware updates aren't just a way to mess with would be pirates. they can add new features, and developers can potentially use those new features in their games.

if a game makes a call that is implemented in a firmware > 4.5, no amount of spoofing will make up for that syscall not being supported in the older firmware. if a game will support an old firmware via some spoofing will always be a game specific thing.

(that being said, i expect pokemon x/y to work with the gateway just fine.

That's very true in the early days of a console, but right now there's not much that they could implement or optimize, similarly to how there was nothing substantially changed in the PS3's firmware since 3.55 and the changes that were made could be accounted for with patches.

Any massive change in the way syscalls work introduces the danger of lack of compatibility with earlier titles which means that old syscalls need to stay. Introducing new syscalls inflates the firmware, so there's only so much you can add.

That being said, yes, you are right - it is a possibility. :)

GamerzHell9137

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
I think new online games won't work with gateway.
We know that gateway can spoof the firmware but there's something else about Pokemon X and Y and other new games in the future.
I'll try to explain it.
Someone like me gets Pokemon X and turn on the 3DS and puts the card into the 3DS to play it.
A pop-up comes and says that i need to update the 3DS, so the only way to play it is to update my 3DS

Gateway users: Gets a dump from internet and puts it into the Gateway card and turns on the game.
Gateway spoofs the firmware and loads the game, players tries to go online, nitnendo blocks.
Why? Cause the minimum for pokemon to work is 6.2(lets say its 6.2 to play the game)

Nintendo Network scans ur system and checks ur firmware, if ur lower firmware than the cards firmware partition the game can't be played online.

I think something like that is gonna happen for X/Y and other games, its just speculations maybe i'm wrong.

Chaldron

GBATemp's Official Attorney
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We know that gateway can spoof the firmware but there's something else about Pokemon X and Y and other new games in the future.
I'll try to explain it.
Someone like me gets Pokemon X and turn on the 3DS and puts the card into the 3DS to play it.
A pop-up comes and says that i need to update the 3DS, so the only way to play it is to update my 3DS

Gateway users: Gets a dump from internet and puts it into the Gateway card and turns on the game.
Gateway spoofs the firmware and loads the game, players tries to go online, nitnendo blocks.
Why? Cause the minimum for pokemon to work is 6.2(lets say its 6.2 to play the game)

Nintendo Network scans ur system and checks ur firmware, if ur lower firmware than the cards firmware partition the game can't be played online.

I think something like that is gonna happen for X/Y and other games, its just speculations maybe i'm wrong.

Considering they did this with mario kart, and knowing how many people cheat in pokemon, there will probably be version checks, if that's possible. Are 3DS games sandboxed (except for the save area)??

GamerzHell9137

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Considering they did this with mario kart, and knowing how many people cheat in pokemon, there will probably be version checks, if that's possible. Are 3DS games sandboxed (except for the save area)??

As i know its not.
Its like Wii U, only Wii mode is sandboxed, and on 3DS only DS mode is sandboxed.

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll try to explain it.

See, I wouldn't mind this. But as stated many times:

1) 4.2-4.5 Firmware required to run GateWay - If a firmware updates cannot do anything to block the GateWay on 4.5, as that wouldn't make sense because one with Gateway wouldn't update.
2) Yes, 3DS games may end up shooting out extra security measures blocking online function, (ie: Mario Kart 7) - I could care less about this, as I've grown up with Pokemon Red/Blue etc. I don't care for online. To me that's just an 'extra.
3) As with the PS3, it's highly probable that the (Ripped) 3DS games will eventually become compatible with the 3DS, through various AP patches. Look at the PS3. Kernal access. Due to the fact that users shouldn't go online, and the fact that they're on the firmware, (Which Nintender can't change at this point, because, well... yeah) games will always make their way to become compatible with the GateWay or other future carts.

(tl;dr) Not sure if that made much sense, supermultitasking at the moment, but my main points are::

1) Online may never be accessible. But even if that happens, it's not the end of the world. Look at the PS3. It's rare that they release a solution (****PSN) app.
2) Games will likely always end up becoming compatible. Sony's known for placing more serious measures on their security on their consoles and handhelds, and still, every new game is compatible with the PS3, as far as I'm aware. Maybe they won't be right away, but they will end up being so eventually.

As far as we're on this firmware, I believe all games will be playable on gateway, even if it takes some time to release AP patches and whatnot. (Yes, I believe Pokemon and Zelda will work. I'm pretty optimistic - rare to find on the net, but yeah. It may take a bit longer, but the GateWay Team's shown to have very good knowleadge in hacking, etc. Even if it's not their exploit (Really don't care if it's Yellow's or whatever.) they've released spoofing checks and region-bypassing (WHICH, by the way, many thought were not possible... and now people are saying PMN and Zlda will never be compatible... stop being so damn pessimistic. It's annoying) so I have little-to-no doubt in my mind that Pokemon Y/X will be 100% playable once they come out (Despite the improbable online - Which, is a good move by the team.)

As we say on the PS3 forums, If you want to play online, update your firmware...

GamerzHell9137

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
See, I wouldn't mind this. But as stated many times:

1) 4.2-4.5 Firmware required to run GateWay - If a firmware updates cannot do anything to block the GateWay on 4.5, as that wouldn't make sense because one with Gateway wouldn't update.
2) Yes, 3DS games may end up shooting out extra security measures blocking online function, (ie: Mario Kart 7) - I could care less about this, as I've grown up with Pokemon Red/Blue etc. I don't care for online. To me that's just an 'extra.
3) As with the PS3, it's highly probable that the (Ripped) 3DS games will eventually become compatible with the 3DS, through various AP patches. Look at the PS3. Kernal access. Due to the fact that users shouldn't go online, and the fact that they're on the firmware, (Which Nintender can't change at this point, because, well... yeah) games will always make their way to become compatible with the GateWay or other future carts.

(tl;dr) Not sure if that made much sense, supermultitasking at the moment, but my main points are::

1) Online may never be accessible. But even if that happens, it's not the end of the world. Look at the PS3. It's rare that they release a solution (****PSN) app.
2) Games will likely always end up becoming compatible. Sony's known for placing more serious measures on their security on their consoles and handhelds, and still, every new game is compatible with the PS3, as far as I'm aware. Maybe they won't be right away, but they will end up being so eventually.

As far as we're on this firmware, I believe all games will be playable on gateway, even if it takes some time to release AP patches and whatnot. (Yes, I believe Pokemon and Zelda will work. I'm pretty optimistic - rare to find on the net, but yeah. It may take a bit longer, but the GateWay Team's shown to have very good knowleadge in hacking, etc. Even if it's not their exploit (Really don't care if it's Yellow's or whatever.) they've released spoofing checks and region-bypassing (WHICH, by the way, many thought were not possible... and now people are saying PMN and Zlda will never be compatible... stop being so damn pessimistic. It's annoying) so I have little-to-no doubt in my mind that Pokemon Y/X will be 100% playable once they come out (Despite the improbable online - Which, is a good move by the team.)

As we say on the PS3 forums, If you want to play online, update your firmware...

I was talking about online :P but there's a chance that Nintendo will find a way to block gateway users to play their newer games.
Just like with Animal Crossing's NAND based save.

D

Deleted User

I was talking about online :P but there's a chance that Nintendo will find a way to block gateway users to play their newer games.
Just like with Animal Crossing's NAND based save.

Yeah but the Animal Crossing NAND save not working on Gateway is a temporary thing. They are working on it, and will get it fixed..
I'm willing to bet they can get online working too, but they currently have no time to do everything at once. So just be patient :grog:

GamerzHell9137

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Yeah but the Animal Crossing NAND save not working on Gateway is a temporary thing. They are working on it, and will get it fixed..
I'm willing to bet they can get online working too, but they currently have no time to do everything at once. So just be patient :grog:

Yeah but its not working now :P and who knows what's gonna nintendo do next.
Nobody knows if its gonna be fixed or not.
Its like saying that the gateway is gonna work on 6.2, we can only wish for that.

Obveron

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've emailed Gateway to see if it's intentional or not. Will update everyone if they reply.
Have you not received a reply yet? I'm curious about this.
Also sorry for derailing.
No reply from Gateway yet. I'm not sure how quickly they respond to questions, but I'm guessing they're remaining quiet on this topic for a reason.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1