Gaming What's so great about Super Smash Bros?

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
My friends are all incredibly hooked on SSB Brawl (they were hooked on Melee too), and each time we get together, we always play that game. They are incredibly interested in it, and can talk hours about it. But me, I just don't see what the fuzz is about.
Sure, it got loads of characters, loads of content, WiFi multiplayer and nice graphics, but when I play it, it's just so hectic. I don't know at all what's happening on screen, all those items, characters and those moves.
I generally just buttonsmash, and get pwned then.

Maybe I just don't like fighting games. But I loved Tekken 3 when I was a kid, so that doesn't make sense....
I would really love to pwn my friends, but for that, I'm gonna need a lot of training first. I really think I can learn to love this game, and all those trophies and stamps and all are really gonna come in handy for that. I tend to love those things
moogle.gif

Can you guys help me with that? Give tips for me or so. Like what is a good character to start with?

Leo Cantus

So zeta slow!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Its a bit over-rated, but still very good.
Start of with ike - he is powerful and easy to use. Go thru subspace emissionary, brawl against the comp. Use different characters, youll find one that works for you and u will get better in time

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Satangel said:
My friends are all incredibly hooked on SSB Brawl (they were hooked on Melee too), and each time we get together, we always play that game. They are incredibly interested in it, and can talk hours about it. But me, I just don't see what the fuzz is about.
Sure, it got loads of characters, loads of content, WiFi multiplayer and nice graphics, but when I play it, it's just so hectic. I don't know at all what's happening on screen, all those items, characters and those moves.
I generally just buttonsmash, and get pwned then.

Maybe I just don't like fighting games. But I loved Tekken 3 when I was a kid, so that doesn't make sense....
I would really love to pwn my friends, but for that, I'm gonna need a lot of training first. I really think I can learn to love this game, and all those trophies and stamps and all are really gonna come in handy for that. I tend to love those things
moogle.gif

Can you guys help me with that? Give tips for me or so. Like what is a good character to start with?

QUOTE(bik75 @ Jul 22 2009, 07:04 PM) Its a bit over-rated, but still very good.
Do you like fighting games if not u probally wont like brawl

lecture.gif

Xta Large

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In my experience, Lucas is the coolest 'beginner' character - I'd start off with him, or Snake (that's who I started off as, and I main him now).

Ossot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
About a week ago I decided I was going to learn to like the game. Surely I was missing something. So i sat around and spent about an hour and a half playing it.

Then I gave up and realized it's just a really bad button masher. Once TvC comes out with multiplayer I don't see why in the hell anyone would be playing SSBB.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i don't get it either. i played it with my nephews a lot and they got all excited and thrilled. i just didn't enjoy it whatsoever.

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Ossot said:
About a week ago I decided I was going to learn to like the game. Surely I was missing something. So i sat around and spent about an hour and a half playing it.

Then I gave up and realized it's just a really bad button masher. Once TvC comes out with multiplayer I don't see why in the hell anyone would be playing SSBB.

TvC ? What's that ?

Well, I guess the game just isn't for some people....
Are you really sure there isn't any way to get into the game?

Smash Br0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IMO, the best way to get more interested in Brawl and get better at it at the same time is to play against other people of or near your skill level, offline (preferably) or online.

Do you get stuck playing 3- and 4-player matches when you play Brawl with your friends? Try playing some 1v1s --- I think they're a lot more fun, as long as you and your opponent are evenly matched.

If you want to get better, I recommend three things:

1.) More practice

2.) smashboards.com character boards

3.) YouTube videos of advanced players

Good luck!
smile.gif

hughjass

Trophies
Website
www.marcreeves.co.uk
XP
Country
best beginner character and best character all round is KIRBY. Kirby pwns everything, I have become the master of Kirby pwnage.

I can see why some people don't find the game that appealing though, it just all depends. I don't think you can dismiss the game as a button masher though, because if you're calling SSB a button masher you may as well call every game a button masher, regardless of how many complex combos they have.

Like any fighting game, you can just blindly attack the buttons and you'll get somewhere. But you can also apply strategy and tactics, if you want to. The more skilled players will have more interesting fights. The game is what YOU make of it. It can be a button masher if you want it to, or it can be something more. Now people wouldn't say for example Tekken is a button masher, but whenever I play that I just randomly hit buttons most of time, and I have won against people who are pro at the game. See what I'm getting at?

I think people forget that rather than the game relying on masses of complex combos, it instead injects tactics into the game through the stages, item use etc.

I'm not really that into fighting games myself (although I do enjoy a few) but I LOVE SSB. It's great fun single player unlocking everything, but the real beauty lives within the multiplayer.

ddp127

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
its just practice, play through the SE, and start off with kirby, its the easiest character to begin with.

the game will get fun as soon as you get better

Ryufushichou

I'm Not British, I'm Just Gay!
Trophies
XP
Country
hughjass said:
thats nothing to do with the game though really is it?

A few drinks with your mates whilst playing will yeild much better results!

How about a few friends passing the bong around and drinking?

that would yield epically trippy results

Ossot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Satangel said:
TvC ? What's that ?

Tatsunoko versus Capcom.

And I lol at everyone saying "to get better.. " I dont think anyone is upset with the game because it's hard. I'm upset because I left my controller on the couch to grab a drink, and my cat walking on it managed to beat 3 levels for me.

UnseenHero

The UnseenHero
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well i only rented the game and it was pretyy fun funniest part was SE when ib eta last boss with my favorite character POKEMON TRAINER
ohmy.gif
and ya i find it is a good game but button masshing is pretty much all i do and my family (mu cousins has it)

But if you do practise (ALOT) i bet that it can be more of a button masher

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d0-EuoBjkKI&pp=ygUqd2F0Y2htZW4gaSdtIG5vdCB0cmFwcGVkIGluIGhlcmUgd2l0...