What would it take for you to stop emulating?

UnseenHero

The UnseenHero
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Probably give out more Demos for certain games, I like to know what i'm paying for. Honestly I don't emulate much now other than game hacks and other things you simply can't buy.

DiabloStorm

Anti-Semantic Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Demos, or continue reproducing old games that have since fallen off the market. Expecting people to not emulate games that aren't in circulation anymore by the original publishers is asinine. 3rd party sellers don't count, if you even find what you're after they'll just scalp you for your money and your purchase with them doesn't help the people that actually made the game.

Reactions: UltraHurricane

Snappo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1-billion-dollars.png

potato3334

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Emulation has its own perks, like HD resolution on PS2 games, mods, and translation patches. Unless a console truly is open-source, emulation is needed to experience these things.

admung

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
admung.whalecakes.com
XP
Country
United States
I'll never stop emulating! You can't take it from me! (Because Virtual Console is technically emulation, you know?)

Massive amounts of re-releases of older games on newer systems (ala Virtual Console) is a good step towards stopping non-official emulation, and maybe even taking steps for advanced emulation would help too. For example, if the Wii U received Gamecube Virtual Console games, that would be good. But if they did Dolphin-style HD-resolution emulation, that would be even better! This all relies on their ability to do something like this, though, and making it bug-free is a big issue too.

Reactions: geoflcl

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Nothing beats the original hardware.

Other then that.
Meh, I can't bring all me consoles to me mates so I have a NES SNES N64 DC SMS Genesis and GBA emu on me 360.

UltraHurricane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
maybe if there was a way to easily buy and play old out-of-print games and have them adequately backed-up for future preservation

but yeah there's no way if i want to play prototypes/fan translations/ or games that would probably never get re-released due to either the licensing issues involved or the fact that their original publishers have gone out of business

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
The only games I really emulate are ones I wouldn't be able to get my hands on otherwise, be it due to obscurity or lack of localization. Tracking down classic consoles/games can sometimes be a prohibitively expensive endeavor! Furthermore, many great games have never found their way stateside. Heck, two-thirds of the Mother series has yet to leave Japan! :P

In a perfect world, each and every game we desire would be easily accessible to us, and at a reasonable price. Unfortunately, this is near-impossible realistically! Therefore, despite it being an iniquity in terms of legality (and for some, morality and quality), emulation can be an invaluable way to discover games that would ordinarily be impossible to experience. For many, it's a splendid way to satiate that lust for broadening one's video game horizons! Heck, I'd go as far as to call it a necessity for some!

Reactions: UltraHurricane

LegendAssassinF

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Stop shipping games that have another 50-100$ in DLC... I shouldn't have to spend more money just to keep the game up to date to play with other people. I understand the Season Passes by if you wait you can just buy the GOTY edition that will have all the DLC but by that point no one will be playing the game anymore.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Start reprinting old games or make official support for more old games on new systems.
They should really start porting SNES games to the 3DS, then I would be happy and mostly slow down my emulation. I know there are games they would never port over.
And also localize more games. There are too many games I emulate because they had a fan-translation.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stop shipping games that have another 50-100$ in DLC... I shouldn't have to spend more money just to keep the game up to date to play with other people. I understand the Season Passes by if you wait you can just buy the GOTY edition that will have all the DLC but by that point no one will be playing the game anymore.

...what games come out as GOTY editions that are emulatable? The only games that are GOTY edition run on current hardware.

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is nothing that could stop me from emulating... Unless you mean "How could the games industry stop me from emulating illegally?" Or "What would it take for you to quit playing all that old crap and only play new stuff?" Then I have something to say

Backwards compatibility is largely due to emulation. I already own a legit copy for said platform. There are classics that I will never see remade or even when they are remade they're shit (i.e. every version of Speedball 2 that isn't on the Amiga or C=64). TRUE abandonware does exist, there are sites that have gotten permission to distribute old copyrighted games from their sites. VC games (and non-Nintendo branded emulators) are indeed just emulated versions. Non-commercial emulators often come w/ features not included on the original platform (multi-player over IP for example). I can often buy physical copies of old games for less than the PSN/eShop/etc versions...

I could on forever.

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
(i.e. every version of Speedball 2 that isn't on the Amiga or C=64).

The DOS PC version was great too...

I saw this in GameStop 3 years ago now for super cheap and giggled like a little girl grabbed it and ran to the counter to pay for it

_-Speedball-2-Tournament-PC-_.jpg

Speedball 2: Tournament (Now removed from the steam store http://store.steampowered.com/app/10700 I could still download and play it but yea)

WOULD I want too?

/end rant on my soiling of my Speedball 2 (old one) love

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What it would take for me to stop emulating *almost* illegally... Is to actually have -access- to stuff. For example, there is no reason for the PS3 to not have a PS2emulator... None at all. We -KNOW- it can be done.

Hell.. Right now there is no reason for the PS3 to not have a PSP emulator to buy PSP games you bought off the PSN.

Also for games that have been hard to find to be released via offical emulation. If Sega released Panzer Dragoon on the PC just using an optimized Saturn emulator... I would pay for it.

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
What it would take for me to stop emulating *almost* illegally... Is to actually have -access- to stuff. For example, there is no reason for the PS3 to not have a PS2emulator... None at all. We -KNOW- it can be done.

Hell.. Right now there is no reason for the PS3 to not have a PSP emulator to buy PSP games you bought off the PSN.

Also for games that have been hard to find to be released via offical emulation. If Sega released Panzer Dragoon on the PC just using an optimized Saturn emulator... I would pay for it.
Your not far away then.... PC Did have a native version for that game and they DID re-release NiGHTS into Dreams on Steam

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro