Hacking What will I need to get started with my Gateway?

blazingwolf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got a gateway coming in and have some questions.

I'm confused as to how many SD Cards I need. Do I need one solely for roms, and then one for emunand support? Can I have one sd card function for both? And does the normal SD Card have any function in the gateway equation? Does emunand run off the SD card in the 3DS or does it run off the microsd card in the Gateway?

Do I need 2 microsd card and a regular sd card, 1 of each, or just one?

Also do I need to run emunand everytime I play roms, or can i just launch them from the 3DS itself? (I guess games requring >firmware higher than the current MUST run from emunand, do the roms and emunand itself run from the same sd card?

Sorry if thats confusing, I'm just confused because I don't know the process yet

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
  1. It is highly recommended to use 2 SD cards with at least more than 4GB.
The SD card that goes in your 3DS is used for running emuNAND, and the SD card that goes in your red card stores your ROMs.
You can also use if you want, your big SD card (The one that goes in the 3DS) For using ROMs and such. That way works by installing .CIA files and they show up on the home menu, but you must make sure that if your SD card is bigger than 32GB, you must format it as FAT32.
The 3DS can't read any SD cards with anything but FAT32.

Yes, you do need to launch emuNAND. Also, emuNAND is also referred to as Gateway mode, which is booted in the same way (Just launch Gateway mode in the Gateway menu)

Also, if you have any more questions, please order them in an orderly fashion. Such as:
  1. Question one
  2. Question two
  3. Question three
  4. etc etc
That way I can help you if I missed something.

blazingwolf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have two SD cards, one microsd card to go into the gateway to directly launch games, and one regular SD card for emunand functions that I can use to:

1. launch emunand and run microsd card roms from
2. install cia files so I have games available in the system menu directly that are stored on the standard sd card on the 3ds?

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Yes you can install .CIA files and they show up on the home menu.
HOWEVER!
There are a number of precautions that must be taken before attempting to install any .CIA files.
Please refer to this guide and also this thread.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse