• Start date
  • Views 7,416
  • Replies 54

Haymose

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The rumble is much more sophisticated than other controllers. If it makes a valuable difference to your gameplay experience is what is actually up for debate.

In most cases, no.

SecureBoot

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's really a subtle thing. I was playing octopath traveler and there was this really great bit where the joycon felt *just* like a stomach growl. It's by no means party shattering but it's a fun addition. Another example is super Mario Odyssey. Feel the difference between collecting a coin and a ground pound.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So did people not remember this? :ninja:

If you want to try HD rumble, you should find games that makes specific use of this "Gimmick" One such game mentioned already is 1-2-Switch. A Glorified tech demo of the entire system's capabilities that cost $60 to play. :creep:

If you want a cheaper option, Senran Kagura Reflexions is available on nintendo eshop for $10. :P

To be honest, the rumble on switch games feel very much different than the other controllers. Most controllers just vibrate one way, regardless of what goes on in the game. Watching a cutscene with a earthquake? Explosion? VIBRATE CONTROLLER A LOT!

But some switch games that do use make use of HD rumble seem to have more tightly designed rumble. In Mighty Gunvolt Burst, HD rumble is used to "Sense" breakable walls that lead to hidden items. Imagine looking at a radar or sonar but instead you feel it pulsing like a heartbeat, like it's alive.

You have to find games that specifically make use of HD rumble. They are most likely new games, not ports. But always read the description of the games on eshop or game case to be sure. Here is a small list of games that do HD rumble.
NOTE: Listed games was found mentioned on the web, I cannot confirm all of them as I did not play them all. The ones I have played are labeled, as the ones that are advertised to make use of it in their descriptions to "enhance" gameplay.

• Thumper
  • Shantae: Half-Genie Hero (played)
  • Tumbleseed
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (played)
  • Super Mario Odyssey (Played)
  • Blaster Master Zero 1+2 (played)
  • Mighty Gunvolt Burst (played, gimmick)
  • 1-2-Switch (gimmick)
  • Senran Kagura Reflexions (Gimmick)
  • Senran Kagura Peach Ball (Gimmick)
  • Arms
  • Kirby Star Allies
  • Super Mario Party (Gimmick)
  • Whispering Willows (Gimmick)
  • Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 Scarlet (Gimmick)
There is probably a lot more, that I don't know of so maybe others can add to this list. It shouldn't bother anyone much since it's mostly noticeable when you have a game take advantage of it specifically. :ninja:

Longshot56

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HD rumble is a tiny speaker in the controller that plays the sound at the exact same time as the TV or console. The Wiimote's rumble is a motor spinning around very fast at a certain time. Joycon and Pro Controller's rumble is much more powerful, so your's might be defective.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If you want to try HD rumble, you should find games that makes specific use of this "Gimmick" One such game mentioned already is 1-2-Switch. A Glorified tech demo of the entire system's capabilities that cost $60 to play. :creep:

If you want a cheaper option, Senran Kagura Reflexions is available on nintendo eshop for $10. :P

To be honest, the rumble on switch games feel very much different than the other controllers. Most controllers just vibrate one way, regardless of what goes on in the game. Watching a cutscene with a earthquake? Explosion? VIBRATE CONTROLLER A LOT!

But some switch games that do use make use of HD rumble seem to have more tightly designed rumble. In Mighty Gunvolt Burst, HD rumble is used to "Sense" breakable walls that lead to hidden items. Imagine looking at a radar or sonar but instead you feel it pulsing like a heartbeat, like it's alive.

You have to find games that specifically make use of HD rumble. They are most likely new games, not ports. But always read the description of the games on eshop or game case to be sure. Here is a small list of games that do HD rumble.
NOTE: Listed games was found mentioned on the web, I cannot confirm all of them as I did not play them all. The ones I have played are labeled, as the ones that are advertised to make use of it in their descriptions to "enhance" gameplay.

• Thumper
  • Tumbleseed
  • 1-2-Switch (gimmick)
  • Arms
  • Kirby Star Allies
There is probably a lot more, that I don't know of so maybe others can add to this list. It shouldn't bother anyone much since it's mostly noticeable when you have a game take advantage of it specifically. :ninja:

BOTW does, and I think Let's Go does too?

rob4

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
It's a gimmick barely used, and i hope gest removed in a new revision of the switch and joycons, so they can be cheaper

Longshot56

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a gimmick barely used, and i hope gest removed in a new revision of the switch and joycons, so they can be cheaper
Except all first party Nintendo games, and several other games do as well? Like, dude. I get it, but i can FEEL the difference between getting a coin and stomping a Goomba in Mario Odyssey.

Reactions: DSoryu

SecureBoot

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HD rumble is a tiny speaker in the controller that plays the sound at the exact same time as the TV or console. The Wiimote's rumble is a motor spinning around very fast at a certain time. Joycon and Pro Controller's rumble is much more powerful, so your's might be defective.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

BOTW does, and I think Let's Go does too?
Hd rumble is not actually a speaker. It's vibrations at specific frequencies. Also, BOTW only has standard rumble.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium

• Thumper
  • Tumbleseed
  • 1-2-Switch (gimmick)
  • Arms
  • Kirby Star Allies

No it does not. I already explained the Xbox one controller does it similar plus even more with the impulse trigger. If you get hit in your left leg with a bullet it will vibrate like so on the left corner of your controller. If you get hit on the same spot with a blunt weapon it will vibrate differently. When playing racing games you can notice the feedback a lot more and especially in the triggers wich the Switch controller lacks. Firing a sniper shot will give a strong short burst of rumble in the trigger and if you use something like a chainsaw in gears of wars it does feel like ur using one. Haptic rumble in the xbox one controller does exactly the same as the switch and even more seeing the triggers vibrate differently wich the joy cons lack !
You can clearly see it's exactly the same and even more in this video

Last edited by kumikochan,

NeroAngelo

Clueless Importer
Trophies
XP
Country
Libya
It's not that special, an xbox one controller has similar rumble where you have haptic feedback. It has multiple motors over the whole controller that can vibrate differently. HD rumble is exactly the same as haptic feedback seeing it also uses multiple motors. Don't even know why Nintendo is claiming it's a new thing they did when controllers have done it before. There is zero difference compared to an xbox one controller. I would even say the rumble is better with an xbox one controller since you have impulse triggers wich vibrate stronger the more you push it wich the Joy cons lack. The triggers of an xbox one controller also vibrate in a different manner with each gun. A sniper shot would be an intense but short burst while a bazooka would be a longer lower vibrating

ummm haptic feedback isn't "motors" , it's just ...sound vibrations. the Xbox controller triggers are far more interesting and advanced than the joycon's "hd rumble", hd rumble is no different than Steam Controller's haptic feeling

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Gamemaster2022 @ Gamemaster2022: Great titles. I'm about to play some Pokémon Emerald. I need to lvl up +1