What should I buy?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by cme, Jul 5, 2009.

Jul 5, 2009

What should I buy? by cme at 12:02 PM (1,756 Views / 0 Likes) 25 replies

1. cme
    OP

Newcomer cme Member

Spain
    Hi guys,

give me a help over here!
    Don't know if I should buy DSLite or DSi!
    DSLite is cheaper...
    Will I be able to play backup games on both?

Will I lose any thing important if I buy the DSLite instead of DSi?

Please advise!!! Really need wich one should I buy!

Thanks!

2. KingdomBlade

Member KingdomBlade Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)

Philippines
    Let's take a two side debate, here, shall we?

DSLite is better because:

Has more Flash Cart to choose from
    Can play a lot more homebrew
    Can play GBA
    Can use Motion Detect with an Expansion
    Cheaper

Dsi because:

Exclusive games
    Camera
    Built in Media Player with the SD Card Slot
    Lighter
    More Brightness Functions
    Better GUI

Now weigh it down.

3. Chris_Skylock

Member Chris_Skylock GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Philippines
    It is advised to buy a Nintendo DSi today. But if you enjoy GameBoy Advanced Softwares, then get the DS Lite.

The DS Lite has hinge problems that was fixed in the DSi and you can have an improved sounds and has a thinner body (Didnt noticed it if I was you)

One thing you'll regret in owning a DSi is the abillity to play longer. I have all three versions of DS and I love and missed my DS Lite. sigh.

Hope I help made your decision as I want to help people in buying Nintendo DS.

Im a Nintendo DS addict and expert though Im not good at repairs, Im a product analysist.

The DSi's camera and sound are out of the game as it's only there as ADD-ONS, what you will need to focus are the changed factors such as the hinges, housing, inner changes such as the improved Wireless, sound quality and more. You'll experienced more in buying a DSi but the ability to play back-ups on the DSi is only the beginning as the DSi softwares were not yet opened to the public (aka HACKED) though you can play the first gen DS games (aka CURRENT DS games)

4. cme
    OP

Newcomer cme Member

Spain
    Thanks for the replies.
    Not playing GBA games...

It's still a difficult choice for me...
    Maybe it's better to wait a bit longer before making a decision... [​IMG]

5. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    I would buy a DSL and save the money for a flashcart. Having both a slot-1 and slot-2 flashcart for it can do most of what a DSi can do (internet browser, music, etc) as well as the ability to download games. The only you'd miss is a camera (but most people have a cell phone with one) and some DSiWare (which for the most part is just dumb clocks and calculators).

6. qlum

Member qlum Posting when needed

Netherlands
    you forgot bigger screens [​IMG]

7. tops2

Newcomer tops2 Member

United States
    I was in the same boat debating whether to "upgrade". A few days ago, I finally did the trade in deal at Gamestop.

Personally, I think the trade in is worth it for myself. The larger screen so far is nice (we'll see how long this novelty lasts). In replaying a few games yesterday, it seems like I'm playing a slightly upgraded games. Another nice bonus is my old touchscreen's calibration is really off on the right half of the screen, so it was nice to finally have a touchscreen thats calibrated. The speakers sounds better than my old DS lite. I usually keep the sound level really quiet anyways, but on some games, the sound from my old ds lite sometimes distorts (buzzing) for some sound effects. Granted, once I plug in the headphones, it doesn't matter. I don't really care about the camera or the music player or the sound recording. I love the internet (I try browsing only mobile websites though, and the mobile sites I've tried loads pretty fast). I had tried web browsing with the DS lite before, and while it works in a pinch, its nicer on the DSi. I used the DSOrganize's text browser the most since its pretty fast. I tried Bunjalloo, but that loads way too slow.

The main negative for myself is the shorter battery life, but I haven't noticed it yet (haven't had to recharge yet). The only GBA game I have is Warioware Twisted, but I can use my fiancee's ds lite.

Anyways, I hope this gives you more of people's experiences to let you make a more informed decision.

8. Islay

Member Islay GBAtemp Fan

Ireland
    The DSi can play almost every homebrew it net based ones that done work.
    but the DSi new lighting system kill it battery.

9. Fatboy12345236

Member Fatboy12345236 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    DS Lite Has better Battry Life Praticaly evens up with RAm Expansion (But no Camera) GO DSL

10. cme
    OP

Newcomer cme Member

Spain
    Got my DSi today! [​IMG]
    i'm lovin it.
    Well i've been searching the foruns for the best flashcard and I saw 2:
    - M3i Zero (not yet released)
    - AK2i (best one available)

My resume is correct, right?
    Should I wait for the M3i Zero? Please advice!

Other thing is where should i start? Don't know what I need to start the homebrew on my DSi! Can you clarify?

Thanks.

11. cme
    OP

Newcomer cme Member

Spain
    Looking for a bit of everything to be honest.
    But my main question is, I need a flashcard to start homebrew right? Without it I can't do anything... Can't find a n00b thread with the answers for this questions!

12. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    Yes you need a flashcart to use homebrew or play DS roms. The DSi will only operate in DS mode with the flashcart and not DSi mode.

A newer flashcart is also needed as Nintendo upped the security. There are a number of reviews here to help you decide which to get. [​IMG]

13. anaxs

Member anaxs got milk, got candy

Canada
    the dsi..............................

14. Jakob95

Suspended Jakob95 I am the Avatar

United States
    Get the acekard 2 if you want something cheap. If you want a cart that has lots of features get the M3. If you want RTS get the M3 Zero. Better compatibility is Acekard 2i. More features is M3 Zero. And don't expect Acekard 2i to have RTS or RTG because they won't ever have that with a firmware update.

15. TheDestroyer

Member TheDestroyer GBAtemp's Official Keyblade Masterâ„¢

United States
    I really suggest you get a NDSi for it has more opportunities available than NDSL.. Although, there isn't much flashcarts available at the meantime, there should be a lot in a matter of time.. and also, the fact that its been hacked creates a stepping stone towards to more new opportunities such as cooler homebrews [​IMG]

16. cme
    OP

Newcomer cme Member

Spain
    Was thinking on AK2i but M3i Zero is comming in the next week so I think I'll wait. Right?

17. cme
    OP

Newcomer cme Member

Spain
    Complete n00b here... sorry...
    NDSi you refer the console, right? just post a few posts back that I finally got mine DSi! I'm prowd owner of one right now! [​IMG]

18. Jakob95

United States
    The acekard 2i is one of the first flashcarts to get there loaders updated when a new game comes out for it to work. Then all the other flashcarts do it. And if there will be a firmware update to block DSi carts then you could flash your M3 Zero to work again on your DSi and same goes for the acekard 2i.

But for M3 Zero you need to update with your computer with that little USB thing.

But for Acekard you need to download the program then put it into your MicroSD and lunch it from your Acekard like a homebrew and it will flash it.

19. cme
    OP

Newcomer cme Member

Spain
    Thanks for the reply. It's becoming clear now!
    I think you convence me to buy the ak2, maybe not waiting for the m3i zero.
    i'll try to find some reviews of both and decide better...
    Many thanks once again! [​IMG]

20. Jakob95

United States
    Also RTS is Real Time Saving. That means you can save anytime you want in the game. Acekard 2i does not have that. If you want acekard to put that into there next firmware update please do this. Email acekard@gmail.com and keep asking them to make RTS on there acekard.