Hardware What maximum speeds can you achieve WiFi using your Nintendo Switch running Test Connection?

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi

I wanted to ask all members here out of interest what maximum speeds you can record on your Nintendo Switch running a "Test Connection" in settings? If you could please upload your img's as well just to show what you can get, it really does not matter at all whether it is slower but just to share a photo as well would be nice but if it is quicker that is what really interests me the most and how and why??? Please share your tests as well in the thread but it must be only using a wireless connection, not ethernet.

Now I just presume that the Nintendo Switch is somehow restricted but I find that hard to believe in this day & age we live in or maybe there is something wrong with my setup at home because I am on a fibre to the property connection with well over 330Mbps Download & 21Mbps Upload but as you can see for yourself's the maximum I can ever achieve is around these speeds below in the photo:-

IMG_0121.JPG

Last edited by Reecey,

g00s3y

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to believe it's something with the switch. I have a 125/15 internet package and get 14-15MB/sec on the computer when downloading, but I am lucky to reach 2.5MB/sec when downloading anything with the switch.

Reactions: Reecey

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mine is fairly okay. 60MB+ download speed 30+ Upload speed :)

I like that it works this well on 2 bars, way better than my ps4 pro which is incredible! I wish my ps4 was that good so I can properly remote play :P

Miney

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
250/100Mbit connection. About 3m with a thin wood wall between switch and Router. Phone gets 280/150 in the same spot, both over 5GHz.
Tried with no wall between and the results got worse (about 8Mbit).

Attachments

• IMG_20180418_222227.jpg
    IMG_20180418_222227.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 3,256

Reecey

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for all your responses guys, much love! I just imagined at this time that the throughput to the Nintendo Switch would not be restricted, eshop games nowadays are huge files I think LA Noire is something like 36GB Wow! I do know Resident Evil 2 was 21GB and restricting the download speed and the upload which is not so important I agree I cannot see the point?

Just to show you all the huge difference and its mad really! this is what I get on my laptop on my BT Internet Wholesale Tester, its dated and stamped. The upload sucks compared to the download, why BT restrict it I don't really know but you can have it changed but I haven't ever got around to sorting it:-

Untitled.jpg

Last edited by Reecey,
Reactions: InsaneNutter

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi

I wanted to ask all members here out of interest what maximum speeds you can record on your Nintendo Switch running a "Test Connection" in settings? If you could please upload your img's as well just to show what you can get, it really does not matter at all whether it is slower but just to share a photo as well would be nice but if it is quicker that is what really interests me the most and how and why??? Please share your tests as well in the thread but it must be only using a wireless connection, not ethernet.

Now I just presume that the Nintendo Switch is somehow restricted but I find that hard to believe in this day & age we live in or maybe there is something wrong with my setup at home because I am on a fibre to the property connection with well over 330Mbps Download & 21Mbps Upload but as you can see for yourself's the maximum I can ever achieve is around these speeds below in the photo:-

View attachment 120740
if your ISP allowed you to use PPPoE logging, use it on ur switch you can get static IP with OPEN NAT A, which is best for matchmaking.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
@SciresM Do you happen to know if it's a block in the software or if the chip is just piss-poor? If it's software something you can patch away?

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if your ISP allowed you to use PPPoE logging, use it on ur switch you can get static IP with OPEN NAT A, which is best for matchmaking.
Is open nat that important? I have had only Nat type 2/B on both playstation and nintendo systems with no issues at all. To be honest i never actually cared about it until i played a game where it started showing off your nat type in the menus and then tell you about it and what restrictions you got with it.

It never seem to be a problem, and it seem almost no way to get rid of it even when i do ports open nonsense, I just assume it's cause I use wifi and not direct connections.

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
Just to show you all the huge difference and its mad really! this is what I get on my laptop on my BT Internet Wholesale Tester, its dated and stamped. The upload sucks compared to the download, why BT restrict it I don't really know but you can have it changed but I haven't ever got around to sorting it:-

That's fast for a BT connection! do you have fiber to the premises?

I did hear the upload speed was supposed to be well over 100mbps if you were lucky enough to be in an FTTP area.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
On mine I get something between 35-40Mbps, and that is totally normal with my 50Mbps connection and in line with what my other devices achieve. I am quite happy with the speed it achieves.

Of course if I was paying a 1 Tbps connection speed and it still achieved only 35-40Mbps I would be annoyed, but it would be my fault because I am expecting speeds it really doesn't need to achieve to work perfectly fine, TBH 35-40Mbps should be enough for everybody, just like 640KB RAM... this is not military grade equipment.

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Is open nat that important? I have had only Nat type 2/B on both playstation and nintendo systems with no issues at all. To be honest i never actually cared about it until i played a game where it started showing off your nat type in the menus and then tell you about it and what restrictions you got with it.

It never seem to be a problem, and it seem almost no way to get rid of it even when i do ports open nonsense, I just assume it's cause I use wifi and not direct connections.
OPEN STATIC IP can play w

for me YES, it indeed gives me more players to play with and i find it more easier in matchmaking.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And I've recently upgraded from 4 mbps to 20 mbps D; I don't know if here is too expensive or people has more money in his/her countries
I bet more expensive... In UK a friend that lives there had 1Gbps internet and was less than 30 pounds which they win double in a single day of work...

Here it cost nearly 90eur, but its the full service, ADSL 24Mbps + 4 mobile phones with 2k min and 2k sms + TV + home phone, but its a big pile of crap, routers suck, TV's are ipTV they suck a lot of internet and only 1HD channel only so only 1 TV can be watching 1 hd channel and the others get disabled.

Reecey

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
That's fast for a BT connection! do you have fiber to the premises?

I did hear the upload speed was supposed to be well over 100mbps if you were lucky enough to be in an FTTP area.
Yes it’s a direct fttp connection to the house. We pay for 330/20 infinity 4 on a loyalty based bt program £42.00 a month includes line rental at the time of the contract signed up, it’s now 330/50 but I will have to recontract again to get that extra 30 on my upload side which I haven’t got round to doing it, bt say they like to concentrate on the down side instead of the up side you can swap around and have for me 20 down 330 up but no I won’t be doing that but lucky for me I get a lot more than the 330 down I can get anything up to 600 down on a good day! I don’t know why but I’m not complaining and never asked the question I just presume bt are supposed to lock your connection at the 330Mbps mark but they haven’t bothered or forgot but yes the top package now with bt fttp connection advertised is 330/50 infinity 4 to be official.

Last edited by Reecey,
Reactions: InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
Yes it’s a direct fttp connection to the house. We pay for 330/20 infinity 4 on a loyalty based bt program £42.00 a month includes line rental at the time of the contract signed up, it’s now 330/50 but I will have to recontract again to get that extra 30 on my upload side which I haven’t got round to doing it, bt say they like to concentrate on the down side instead of the up side you can swap around and have for me 20 down 330 up but no I won’t be doing that but lucky for me I get a lot more than the 330 down I can get anything up to 600 down on a good day! I don’t know why but I’m not complaining and never asked the question but yes the top package now with bt fttp connection advertised is 330/50 infinity 4 to be official.

That's really nice, until recently all BT offered in my area was 2meg ADSL. Now in theory its up to 76meg with FTTC.
Thankfully Virgin Media have serviced our area since the NTL days in the late 90's, so we've always had the option of whatever Virgins top speed has been.

I do like how BT are at least doing FTTP in some areas now, It nice someone is actually giving Virgin Media competition, there getting really expensive and the upload speeds are not great, even on their top tier. However Virgin know there the only choice in a lot of areas for anyone who wants good broadband speeds.

Out of curiosity is it a new build house, or did BT offer to install FTTP?

FloriszDingy

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Our Internet Connection is 500/500Mbit.
With iphone I get with okla speedtest around 460/430Mbit.
The Nintendo Switch(oled) on same wifi ssid(5ghz) does not get over 111/85Mbit!
Post automatically merged:

Our Internet Connection is 500/500Mbit.
With iphone I get with okla speedtest around 460/430Mbit.
The Nintendo Switch(oled) on same wifi ssid(5ghz) does not get over 111/85Mbit!

Also tested on wired 1gbit LAN port directly on the router through the switch docking. Max speed on the Switch is 138/85Mbit.
So definately a limit of the Switch!

Last edited by FloriszDingy,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I couldn't break 50Mb/s on Wi-Fi OR 10/100 Ethernet over USB 2.0.

The Switch seems to be artificially limiting my connection speeds, as I have 1200Mb/s down, and 35Mb/s up.

(Tested on 2x Erista launch systems)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :ohnoes: @NoiseCommander3DS Would you please turn down that noise. I haven't had my COFFEE yet... +1