What Linux distros do you all use?

BiggieCheese Sep 8, 2018.

1. BiggieCheese
    OP

BiggieCheese GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2017
    United States
    I ditched Windows 10 and started rockin’ Kubuntu 18.04 LTS after dual-booting it for a few weeks, works great so far.

2. konsolenumbau.expert

konsolenumbau.expert GBAtemp Fan

Feb 7, 2016
    Germany
    Rieps
    CentOS 7 with Plesk Onyx

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

3. VinsCool

VinsCool Cattus Incerta Tacitusque

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    I've been using Solus Budgie for over a year now.
    Very stable and functional setup.

Occasionally dipping back to Windows 10 (dual booting) when needed.

Nomi20 likes this.
  4. ry755

ry755 Fox

Nov 29, 2017
    United States
    California
    I use Fedora on my main computer and Xubuntu on my Chromebook.

5. Nomi20

Nomi20 GBAtemp Regular

May 14, 2016
    United States
    Montana
    Solus Budgie! Work's great

6. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    None (except occasionally for a day or two) for the past 3-4 years - I am in that time of my life where "geek entertainment" (screwing around endlessly in the search of an ideal setup) is quite lowly ranking compared to other forms of entertainment, learning, and working...

Combining the whole Poettering dictatorship that most distros* baited to, and the fact I would need proprietary, x86-only drivers& anyway - makes it a more negative experience than it was 5 or 10 years ago. For me, at least!

Which is a shame, as there's some good software that I miss (like GThumb - I genuinely can't name any "crop, straighten, adjust shadows a bit, NEXT" free photo editor for Windows except the "Photos" metro app)

* = That distro I occasionally use being Devuan with Xfce, which still has quite a few rough edges I didn't remember from late 2000s Debian/Ubuntu

& = Brother all-in-one, in my case - but I am appalled that formerly reputable brands for libre and cross-OS support (Intel graphics and HP printers) have sharply fallen

Last edited by Ryccardo, Sep 8, 2018
  7. 8BitWonder

8BitWonder Small Homebrew Dev

Jan 23, 2016
    United States
    47 4F 54 20 45 45 4D
    I don't use it too often, but my go to distro is Linux Mint.

Tarmfot likes this.
  8. Sophie-bear

Sophie-bear The Coolest Bear Around

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    Ubuntu 18.04, but with the latest Linux Kernel.
    I also would use it as my primary OS if not for a few things keeping me from it. Namely, I can't use Autodesk's 3ds Max on the OS, and my CPU and GPU are too old and underpowered to handle virtualizing a Windows System reliably.

9. B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N knows nothing

Jun 7, 2016
    Antarctica
    Hell
    Arch, because apparently I'm into masochism.

I also dual-boot Windows 10, in case I ever need to run a game that WINE (or now, Steam Play) can't handle. It's really slow, however. I suspect disabling the swapfile slowed it down considerably, but I can't be bothered to turn it back on.

Ev1lbl0w likes this.
  10. softword

softword Newbie

Newcomer
    May 30, 2016
    Colombia
    Gentoo in my desktop and Manjaro in my laptop.

11. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    I normally use Windows 10, but when I use a LInux distro, it's Lubuntu.

12. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 12, 2009
    I primarily use W10/OSX on my laptop/desktop but when I do use Linux outside of embedded stuff:
    unRAID- Server OS
    Linux Mint- casual stuff in VM/dual boot
    CentOS- more 'professional' stuff in a VM which Linux Mint can't handle e.g. Oracle

13. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    Manjaro. I tested Solus and it's just awful. Too locked in, feelt like I was running OSX.
    Ubuntu 18.04 works fine, if you don't run Gnome 3, because it mess with your setup hard if you don't have a powerhouse apparently...

14. Marco_Buns

Marco_Buns Barely in Europe

Aug 31, 2015
    Iceland
    Ubuntu 18.04. I'm fairly new to linux. When I first tried it, I pretty much made my mind of installing linux on every laptop I get. If all of my games and Fl Studio are compatible with linux then I would change from Win10 on my PC asap.

15. JellyPerson

JellyPerson https://discord.gg/BMVma8j

Banned
    Jul 26, 2017
    Korea, North
    Pyongyang
    Usually I use Windows but my favorite distro is probably Elementary OS.

16. Monado_III

Monado_III GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 8, 2015
    Canada
    /dev/null
    Arch because nvidia drivers actually work and don't break the entire system every single kernel update

17. Exannor

Exannor Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 9, 2018
    United States
    CentOS 7 and Arch

I need to move to Gentoo sometime

18. Shadowfied

Shadowfied GBAtemp Addict

Dec 6, 2014
    Using Arch as my daily driver for work, love it.

[​IMG]

Ev1lbl0w and B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N like this.
  19. Badcam3

Badcam3 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 28, 2015
    United States
    Zorin OS! It has that nice windows 7 feel to it and it's preloaded with everything you need!

20. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    I'm hoping that crashes and burns in the next five years or so, much like the whole Wayland switch* or Unity. I'm not entirely optimistic though. Just the general mentality from Poettering is pretty insane** when it comes to systemd, so it's really hard to take most of what he says seriously.

* I've yet to hear a compelling argument on the need for the switch, especially when it's clear that if you find (and you will) some program that requires X, you're still stuck running X. It'd be entirely different if Wayland was meant as a drop-in replacement for X functions that could stand on its own as well 99% of the time and came with actual benefits like better security, not needing root, etc.

** "Fun" story, but I noticed I was using 3GB+ of logs on a "new"*** Ubuntu 18.04 install. Turns out that (1) systemd collects a lot more data than syslog (apparently), (2) it's by default supposed to only use up a max of 10% of the root drive (which would be 68GB in my case), (3) that there was a bug report where it was clear that this 10% guarantee isn't entirely honored, and (4) even though the format supports compression it only compares large objects. Having said that, when I tested compressing the logs they readily shrunk down to 120MB, With a dump of all the files compressed, it was down to ~1-2MB. So, when someone brought up a much smaller ridiculous log size (in the dozens of MB, which is still pretty ridiculous) and asked about ways to make the logs smaller, it was basically blown of by Poettering because of (1) system collect a lot more data than syslog.

*** Actually tried the 14.04 -> 16.04 -> 18.04 upgrade but beyond breaking in various ways (which was likely my fault with all the ppas), systemd was basically entirely useless with the boot error just dumping me to a terminal and saying "look at the log" which didn't actually include a meaningful error. End result, I ending up installing 18.04 clean (saving my home) and beyond the pain of reinstalling all the programs again, it wasn't that bad.

</rant over>

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted