What is your favourite Paper Mario game?

What is your favourite Paper Mario game?

• Paper Mario (N64)

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Paper Mario: TTYD (GC)

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • Super Paper Mario (Wii)

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Paper Mario: Sticker Star (3DS)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Paper Mario: Color Splash (WiiU)

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters

kai98yoshi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Here is my personal ranking of all Paper Mario games:

1: Paper Mario 2 for Nintendo GameCube (It's my absolutey favourite game of all time. I got it when I was 7 years old... I have played through it 100 of times... The story is so funny and unique. The graphics are lovely desigend and I love every single character of this game. They are all extremly individual. I love all chapters of this game. My favourite chapters are chapter 3 and 8. The last chapter is my favourite because the boss battles and the story ending are so beautiful and epic...)

2. Super Paper Mario for Nintendo Wii ( I absolutely love this game... I have played through it many many times so far... The story is absolutely fantasic and it's very cool being able to play as Peach, Bowser and Luigi. It is also a good thing that many gameplay and level design elements of Paper Mario 2 can be found in this game as well... The mix between these elements with the very own gameplay mechanic of Super Paper Mario (changing dimension; 2D platforming) are very special and unique... Although the first hours of the game are very amazing (they are so amazing that they are at some points a better gaming experience than Paper Mario 2) many chapters are very strange and aren't very funny (for example I absolutely hate the chapter where you have to find the right apple for helping Peach)

3. Paper Mario for Nintendo 64 (I haven't played through the game yet... I only have played the first 4 chapters so far because I had sold my N64 before I could play through the game... Until now it's a worse version of Paper Mario 2 for me. Paper Mario 2 has better music, sound effects and graphics... Also the story of Paper Mario 2 is more unique...)

4. Paper Mario: Sticker Star for Nintendo 3DS (I love this game although many people say it's worse than Color Splash; Sticker Star is still innovative, it has a unique level design and I love collecting rainbow-coloured stickers)

5. Paper Mario: Color Splash for Nintendo WiiU (I don't like this game at all... for me it is a bad copy of Sticker Star)

Last edited by kai98yoshi,

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Poll voters should be public so we can lynch whoever has the balls to vote Sticker Star or Colour Splash

It's actually a hard choice between the only 3 real Paper Mario games, now that I think about it. I think overall i'd go with Paper Mario 1 just because it is crammed full of charm, and the first time ever experiencing that series through that game was just amazing. When it first came out, I was scared Super was going to be awful but they managed to actually do the combat really well, and it managed to continue to capture the charm of the first two games. They're definitely all very close, I love 'em all. Sad the series had to die.

x65943

translation implies the existence of cislation
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Poll voters should be public so we can lynch whoever has the balls to vote Sticker Star or Colour Splash

It's actually a hard choice between the only 3 real Paper Mario games, now that I think about it. I think overall i'd go with Paper Mario 1 just because it is crammed full of charm, and the first time ever experiencing that series through that game was just amazing. When it first came out, I was scared Super was going to be awful but they managed to actually do the combat really well, and it managed to continue to capture the charm of the first two games. They're definitely all very close, I love 'em all. Sad the series had to die.
Kek, 3 real paper mario games. I would say there are two - the original and TTYD. Maybe Super Mario: RPG as a spiritual precursor. Super Paper Mario is the beginning of the end for the series.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Kek, 3 real paper mario games. I would say there are two - the original and TTYD. Maybe Super Mario: RPG as a spiritual precursor. Super Paper Mario is the beginning of the end for the series.

It's the beginning of the end, only in the sense that that's when they left the gameplay path of the first two. It worked amazingly well for Super, it added a different dimension of charm and it was incredibly well done. I was very skeptical, and then very pleasantly surprised when I first played it. Unfortunately since they left the path they stumbled off a fucking cliff and we got the trash that is sticker star and colour splash. Tragic.

Reactions: x65943

Flirkyn

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Super Paper Mario (fite me !)
I loved the story, humour and character.
Then come TTYD which was my first Paper Mario and I really liked it.
I never finished first one (I was at one of final World) but it was pretty good.

I... Didn't really liked Sticker Stars. Not for the gameplay but because it haven't had the humour. I should continue it though, I was at World 3 iirc.

Haven't played Color Splash

Exaltys

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The first Paper Mario for N64. I feel like the jokes get out of hand once TTYD gets started. The series becomes self-aware that it is paper and I think that detracts. I know some people like that aspect and think it is fun but I don't really like it too much. TTYD is very good though. Super Paper Mario is great too. I've only played a little of Sticker Star and Color Splash and none of the Mario and Luigi crossover.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Paper Mario: TTYD / Super Paper Mario > Paper Mario > Color Splash > Sticker Star.
They're all good games though, some more than others.
I don't know if Paper Jam counts. I would think not, because it's just a Mario & Luigi game with some paper mechanics added in. Didn't like that one much anyway so it would be at the bottom of the list.
I'm a bit torn between TTYD and Super Paper Mario, because while I prefer the RPG battle system, I really enjoyed the mechanics and story in Super Paper Mario, and the level design and soundtrack were excellent too. TTYD I felt was more flawed but I love it nonetheless.
If I went by replay value then Super Paper Mario > TTYD, cause I've already replayed Super Paper Mario 2-3 times and it's still a lot of fun, while TTYD I only replayed once and I'm not sure I even finished it the second time (though I remember getting near the end so I probably did). And that was a long time ago, I've tried to replay it since but I just can't get hooked.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I haven't even played them all. Just the wii one and a bit of that old door one. But the wii one is TO ME the better one. I can see the quality of TTYD, but turn based combat has to be REALLY good for me to stomach it. SPM already had an advantage for being simple platforming, and the incredibly creative use of the wiimote put it miles ahead. Again: in my opinion.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Goku likes to flip the bean to get others healthy