Hacking What is with the CFW Wars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurora Wright

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Not everyone wants to use the Luma3DS and then started the "Just use Luma" mantra that spread through the community. As it spread users started attacking other projects and pushing more devs away from the scene. Now it's impossible to say anything negative about Luma3DS without being attacked until you either stop or leave the scene.
chaoskagami left for unrelated reasons and you can find it in his thread, not sure about Rei but even if the "Rei drama" had a role in it I can't really sympathize given he was quite bad towards me for a long time and all I did was eventually snapping and exposing those behaviors.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
First of all, I really don't think "too many features" is a valid argument. You can hardly expect a new CFW to be released that purposely has less features. It's a silly complaint, imo.
Secondly, a few bad apples defending a product doesn't mean you shouldn't use the product. Just seems illogical to me.
Finally, my original question still remains, why should Luma not be the primary CFW? You've pussy footed around my question.
SaltFW anyone?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
chaoskagami left for unrelated reasons and you can find it in his thread, not sure about Rei but even if the "Rei drama" had a role in it I can't really sympathize given he was quite bad towards me for a long time and all I did was eventually snapping and exposing those behaviors.
You can't ignore the mantra that has been created and the movement that has spread through the scene.
People are still chanting "Just use Luma." When Luma is basically the only CFW left to use. Let's face it, only few still use ReiNAND and that's the only option. Yet people still feel the need to push Luma3DS as if it has anything threatening it.
Even your little team still feels the need to attack other projects.
Jealous people hate whoever's at the top.

Aurora Wright

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You can't ignore the mantra that has been created and the movement that has spread through the scene.
People are still chanting "Just use Luma." When Luma is basically the only CFW left to use. Let's face it, only few still use ReiNAND and that's the only option. Yet people still feel the need to push Luma3DS as if it has anything threatening it.
Even your little team still feels the need to attack other projects.
I can understand astro's irritation when reading nonsensical bashing of Luma. Accusing me and Tux of making use of our popularity to shove our choices down people's throat is irritating to say the least, especially since simplicity/only allowing toggles for features with downsides has been Luma's "policy" from the start...

Last edited by Aurora Wright,

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I can understand astro's irritation when reading nonsensical bashing of Luma. Accusing me and Tux of making use of our popularity to shove our choices down people's throat is irritating to say the least, especially since simplicity/only allowing toggles for features with downsides has been Luma's "policy" from the start...
It's not you that is the issue, it's the community that is the issue.

Cuphat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Just use Luma" makes sense to say when some random user with no particular knowledge comes to the forums with some old CFW install. It's simple to install and easy to use, making it ideal in those cases.

It's also the only CFW that publicly actually seems to receive updates these days, so I don't see why there's massive pushback there. If someone actually made a new (or continued an old) CFW with regular updates that worked well for normal users, that'd be one thing.

dAVID_

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
You see, the thing is, with the massive brickwave a few months ago, Plailect made a special
guide to prevent users from bricking, it was a huge success. The guide prompted
you to install Luma3DS, it's an excellent, noob-proof, CFW that features what most users want:
Being able to install unnoficial titles, ROM-hacks, unbanning, running blacklisted DS flashcarts,
and the list goes on. The problem? Well, most users are not programmers, and don't want to
have bugs in their console. Combined with the fact that Luma3DS is highly recommended,
only advanced users and people with a good knowledge of code use other CFWs. Users
love Luma3DS so much, that they outright want to burn all the other options. That's why.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States

I don't remember where or who.. but there were a couple of people who were essentially calling Aurora and Tux out saying they were power tripping. Gotta see if I can find it.

D

Deleted User

Everyone's entitled to there own biased opinion I guess.If you don't like the work that someone does,use someone else's or make your own cfw.

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Just use Luma" makes sense to say when some random user with no particular knowledge comes to the forums with some old CFW install. It's simple to install and easy to use, making it ideal in those cases.

It's also the only CFW that publicly actually seems to receive updates these days, so I don't see why there's massive pushback there. If someone actually made a new (or continued an old) CFW with regular updates that worked well for normal users, that'd be one thing.
^biggest problem with advocating for more choice in a noob-friendly cfw is "most users don't care/don't want excessive choices, they just want it given to them". and Luma3DS fits this description. those features that are there aren't doing anything if you don't use them.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

No one is arguing that it's a bad thing. It's only a problem when the mantra became a reason to attack every project. It wasn't uncommon Corbenik was still active for people to spam Corbenik threads with "Just use Luma." Even though Corbenik was still an active project, people just kept trying to force the OP use Corbenik. Despite the fact that ReiNAND is still an active project, it's impossible to find people willing to help without the thread being spammed with "Just use Luma." It stopped being about helping people and more about making everyone use Luma3DS and killing all other projects.
This isn't an issue with the devs, but an issue with the community.

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
Users started to attack devs in the name of Luma3DS and even members of the team like
The more I think about it, the more I realize that the two week waiting period is just a front to distract us. The Luma team has no intention to continue the legacy build, so they put on a front to pretend like they do. It's very much apparent that they want to stand behind Rosalina regardless of what we say.
It's either have it your team's way or what?
And perhaps the best example...
Luma3DS is slowly becoming as controlling as Nintendo.

You go around saying that the Luma3DS devs are trying to use their influence to control the scene and push their things and then you say "it's not you that's the issue?" Really?

Last edited by astronautlevel,

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
And perhaps the best example...

You go around saying that the Luma3DS devs are trying to use their influence to control the scene and push their things and then you say "it's not you that's the issue?" Really?
I am glad to see you don't respect PMs
I think I am done here. It's very apparent that this is a hopeless cause

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
You mean the three pages worth of nuked posts from the ReiNAND thread.
The literal second post from my old sticky
These are just the easy ones for me to find.
There have been similar amounts of nuked pages on the old Luma3DS thread, as well as on every other project.

Also, I like how you conveniently ignore all the bullshit Rei pulled. Such as inviting a troll into a private chat that harassed Aurora for her gender, publicly attacking her and calling her code crap or saying Luma was bloated. I mean, I don't expect you to find issue with those last ones given that you parrot that mantra yourself.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

As far as I know everything that was in that PM was also in your post here, no?

EDIT: Certain things were left out of your public post, I've removed them from my post as well. That being said, don't say things in PMs you wouldn't want to be posted publicly either.

Last edited by astronautlevel,
D

Deleted User

PMs are to be respected to a certain point. When it is snaking other people out, thats when it crosses the line. Maybe i'm not saying this is what happened here, I just see PMs like this.

wicksand420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi Aurora Wright, Keep up the excellent work on luma, some people just like to complain, thank you for all your hard work!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)