Hacking "What is a legit cia?" (and other noob CIA questions ANSWERED)

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Its basically linked to your NNID after installation but it just doesnt show on your download history right?
no. it does not link to your nnid after installation.
maybe you can redownload it because, when you format you do not lose all of your tickets.
you keep some of them (all?) - if the ticket of the game is kept, you should be able to redownload it

Maelphin

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Thanks for the info. I'm still a noob though. If I install legit CIAs, those I can update on eshop or whatever without any problems? And can one do a system transfer from emunand to an ordinary 3DS? And if I can, will the legit CIAs transfer over or would there be problems? Thanks!

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Thanks for the info. I'm still a noob though. If I install legit CIAs, those I can update on eshop or whatever without any problems? And can one do a system transfer from emunand to an ordinary 3DS? And if I can, will the legit CIAs transfer over or would there be problems? Thanks!
no problems, nothing to worry about. but no they will not transfer when you system transfer

shafty710

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Been reading different threads and such about CIA's. I know some editions of 3DS came with a downloadable copy of Zelda: Link Between Worlds. Just curious:

Is there a specific or special reason this particular game doesn't have a legit CIA file floating around?

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Been reading different threads and such about CIA's. I know some editions of 3DS came with a downloadable copy of Zelda: Link Between Worlds. Just curious:

Is there a specific or special reason this particular game doesn't have a legit CIA file floating around?

The downloadable copy was just a code to install the game from the store, it wasnt actually PREinstalled on the console

Reactions: shafty710

shafty710

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
The downloadable copy was just a code to install the game from the store, it wasnt actually PREinstalled on the console

Ah, I see now. Thanks for the reply -- makes perfect sense. I hope Fire Emblem Fates will come preinstalled on those special edition 3DS's :rolleyes: *cough cough*

Unless Nintendo just stopped preinstalling games since then going forward.

B3DDO3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys hopefully you can help me, I have 9.2 sysNAND and Rei 10.5 emuNAND, I have managed to get one of my carts .3ds then I used 3ds to cia convertor. I had to get xorpads off my new 3ds and converted it to a .cia and install in on my emuNAND, I updated it as I have access to the eshop. What I am wondering do we know if this is safe to update a backup? Now this game doesn't have any online but also wondering when I manage to get my other games will I be able to go online safely?

Thank you all in advance.

Edit: In addition to my question above when I got the 3ds file then went and got the xorpads off my 3ds, what if I find a cia file online is that less 'safe' for updates and online access?

Last edited by B3DDO3,

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Hey guys hopefully you can help me, I have 9.2 sysNAND and Rei 10.5 emuNAND, I have managed to get one of my carts .3ds then I used 3ds to cia convertor. I had to get xorpads off my new 3ds and converted it to a .cia and install in on my emuNAND, I updated it as I have access to the eshop. What I am wondering do we know if this is safe to update a backup? Now this game doesn't have any online but also wondering when I manage to get my other games will I be able to go online safely?

Thank you all in advance.

Edit: In addition to my question above when I got the 3ds file then went and got the xorpads off my 3ds, what if I find a cia file online is that less 'safe' for updates and online access?
safe to update?
yes, you don't even need games to download any updates from the eshop anyway...
enjoy

IcedPlatinum

Trophies
XP
Country
Ok so I have a perhaps n00bish question but I still feel like it needs to be asked. Ok so I used rxtools to build a custom firmware and I got the FBI installer running in the health and safety app. But when I go to install cia files, every time I boot into the custom firmware the stuff I have installed sort of resets. Like it acts as if I have JUST installed it. As an example, I installed harvest moon the lost valley from a cia but every time I boot into the cfw the game is still in it's gift box and it has no save data, still needs to be updated etc. so my question is, is that normal, and if not how do I make it a permanent install?

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Ok so I have a perhaps n00bish question but I still feel like it needs to be asked. Ok so I used rxtools to build a custom firmware and I got the FBI installer running in the health and safety app. But when I go to install cia files, every time I boot into the custom firmware the stuff I have installed sort of resets. Like it acts as if I have JUST installed it. As an example, I installed harvest moon the lost valley from a cia but every time I boot into the cfw the game is still in it's gift box and it has no save data, still needs to be updated etc. so my question is, is that normal, and if not how do I make it a permanent install?
i'm not sure hwy you lose your savedata and your game updates... maybe ask in another thread, this one might not be the best for your problem :)

Boured

A Dusk Lycanroc who cares a lot about people.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
please link to this thread when people (noobs) don't understand something, or think they have a 'great idea' about a 'legit' oot cia, ha.

What is a CIA?
Packed content, that can be installed on your 3ds to give the game/app/content.
A CIA contains the contents, a TMD, and a ticket.
CIA files are only really for eshop/digital content.
Although, some people do like to convert 3ds game card dumps to 'cia'/eshop format, because they want them on their home menu etc.

What is a legit (clean/perfect) CIA?
A 'legit' CIA means that the signatures are valid.
A legit cia will work in sysnand, without needing hacks to load it (like gw, cfw etc) -- although we need hacks to INSTALL the cia. :)
The ticket will have a signature, the TMD will have a signature, I'm sure there are more signatures too in the CIA.
When you buy a game/download an update, nintendo generates YOU (ONLY YOU) a signature for the file.
If you edit the file, the signature will not be valid anymore.
If you remove your console id, so that the cia will install on other people's 3DSs, the signature is not valid.
If you patch the demo play count so you can remove the 5, 10, 30 play limit from the demo, the signature is not valid.
If you patch the dlc permissions to set that you have permission for all the dlc, the signature will not be valid.
If you decrypt the contents and edit the game, make it region free, or translate the game it etc, and then re-encrypt, the signature will not be valid.
Only nintendo can create these signatures.

What is a universal/preinstalled legit CIA?
Preinstalled content is special, the signature generated by nintendo is for every console.
If I buy a game from eshop, I can make a legit cia, but it will not be 'universal', in sysnand, it would only work with my 3DS.
For the universal CIAs, they will work on sysnand for everyone. (naturally, region lock still exists)

My tool FunkyCIA lets you create CIAs from your eshop content.
You can make 'warez' CIAs, for sharing etc.
You can make personal legit CIAs, that will work on sysnand, but ONLY on your console.
-- keep in mind at the moment we CAN ONLY INSTALL THESE WITH PBT cfw. This is because PBT patches more checks than GW. capito27 - thanks :)
You can make universal legit cias that work on sysnand for everyone (only from preinstalled content)

I'm trying to make a legit CIA, and have my ticket.db and python 2.7 installed. The problem is that I can't seem to get the thing to work because it gives me this error.

'python' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file.

Probably just being a Noob, so that is why I put this here since it's a noob question.

Furthermore if this is the wrong place......well I suck at finding the right place to put stuff I guess.

Edit: I just put the file into the Python27 file and it worked like a charm after that without the 'python' command but thanks anyway.

Last edited by Boured,

DingusPingus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is arm9loaderhax? Does it work on o3ds? Will it boot me into emuNAND even if my sysNAND bricks?
Arm9loaderhax is a method to boot cfw quicker and easier, there is no cfw on the o3ds that supports a9lh, I'm not sure but I think it won't boot you into emunand if sysnand is bricked

Boured

A Dusk Lycanroc who cares a lot about people.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried making a Legit CIA of Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon using FunkyCIA2, it worked and made the CIA fine, but when I tested it on my Sysnand it refused to load without exploits running. Is this because my Sysnand is ver. 9.2?, maybe my ticket.db is invalid because I used decrypt9 to get it?

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by Boured,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Damn McDonald's ice cream machine broken