What firmware can I expect from a Wii that is bought this week?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by stefh, Dec 3, 2008.

1. stefh
    OP

Newcomer stefh Member

Netherlands
    Hi guys,

I was wondering if somebody knows what firmware to expect from a Wii that will be bought this week? I live in the Netherlands.

Does the serial number on the box tell something?

I know there is the possibility of downgrading, but I am affraid something will go wrong.

I succesfully installed everything on my own Wii, which I have since launch. I just stuck with firmware 3.2.

If a Wii will be bought and it has older firmware than 3.2, will the backup launcher gamma work, or do I have to go to 3.2 first? Is there a minimum firmware necessary?

And if I update the firmware in the wii's system menu, it will probably go straight to 3.4 I guess?

2. djdynamite123

Banned djdynamite123 Master Of Hardcore!

United Kingdom
    probably old 3.3 or 3.3b oct 23rd, the wii has probably been in storage or shipment for a good while.

3. w_n_s

Newcomer w_n_s Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    good chance it will be 3.3E - mine was from a month ago. Easily downgraded to 3.2E if you want starfall protection, but it will work with Backuplauncher straight out of the box if you follow the guides for the twilight hack etc...

4. mikeyt1998

Member mikeyt1998 YouTube Glitcher

United Kingdom
    are you buying another backup as a safety thing? one that you're not going to hack?

besides that, you have just as much chance of screwing up your wii installing the loader and cIOS stuff as you do downgrading so what does it matter what version its on?

5. isoptera4

Newcomer isoptera4 Advanced Member

United States
    I bought one last week from amazon and it had 3.1U on it.

6. screamq3

Member screamq3 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    depends where you purchase from i guess some stores only have little stock due to not many people purchasing so may have an old version, my mate had one 2 weeks ago that was 3.1 also, nice firmware to start off at [​IMG]

7. DB62

Newcomer DB62 Member

United States
    Hi

I just recieved my USA-NTSC Wii and it is on 3.1U I have a d2sun chip in it and the homebrew channel was intalled through the twilight hack. What is the best and easiest way to get to 3.2U and then how do I add the STARFALL to it?

I only will be using NTSC-USA ISO's, so will I still need to use wiibrickblocker at all on them? Also, if I don't care about the homebrew channel, can I just use a newer game and update the firmware to 3.4 and still be able to use my backups? If yes and I can go to 3.4U, would I stll need to use wiibrickblocker before burning any ISO? Thanks to all!!!

8. screamq3

Member screamq3 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    id use anyregionchanger m8

9. metalliphyll

Newcomer metalliphyll Newbie

Australia
    if u lived in australia i got a brand new wii of nintendo 2 weeks ago it had 3.1E on it so thats what they are here

10. Puffinz

Newcomer Puffinz Member

United Kingdom
    Purchased one on the 2nd in UK and it has 3.3E.

11. ephumuris

Newcomer ephumuris Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Ditto.