I am the official skribbler
OP
Trophies
Website
skribbl.io
XP
Country
United States
I pulled out my Wii yesterday after years of it sitting around and collecting dust, and I was trying to update hacks on it.
I tried looking into hacks updates and I found out that there was a new Wii update, but you couldn't update to it if your console was modded, so I looked up how to remove hacks from my Wii. I followed a sthetix tutorial on how to do so, I dumped the NAND, then I used Ohneswanzenegger to generate a clean NAND, and then I used BootMii to restore it. However, when tried to restore it, it said I needed BootMii on boot2 or else my console could be bricked, so I spent a while looking for that, but I couldn't ever find out how. Then I just risked it all and entered in the konami code with a GC controller and restored it that way.
Once it was done, I restarted the Wii and set it up and connected it to the Internet. It asked me if I wanted to enable WiiConnect24 and the Wii Shop, I said yes and confirmed the legal stuff and then it asked if I wanted to go to the shop, I said yes and there was just a black screen. I waited for a minute and then turned off the Wii. I tried opening the Shop back up but then after a few seconds of a black screen, I think I got an error saying something along the lines of "An error occurred, please eject the disc or turn off your console. If the issue persists, please go to support.nintendo.com." or something like that.
Now that I thought about it, I could never access the Wii Shop or Mii Maker without getting this screen, even when it had hacks. I know the Wii Shop is closed, but this error has been happening even before they said they would close it down. My disc drive does not work, I think I stuck a paper disc in there when I was 3 or something, idk if that broke it or what, but the drive is just not working, idk if that connects to Mii Maker and Wii Shop not working.
My Wii is an RVL-001, also I'm not sure how it was exploited because it's been modded for years and I'm a complete Wii h4xx0r noob. Also sorry for kind of long and useless information.

Also here is what the message looked like:

maxresdefault.jpg

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I barely understood what you wrote...
But whatever.

I found out that there was a new Wii update
No... the Wii hasn't had an update since 2010.
Whatever message you might get after connecting it to the internet is a leftover from Nintendo.
I'm guessing you got the:
"A new update is available for the system" message after setting up your Wi-Fi connection, didn't you?

so I looked up how to remove hacks from my Wii
No... again, no.
Whatever you or someone else did to the console can't be removed without reinstalling the Wii Software altogether.
So, no... just no.

I dumped the NAND, then I used Ohneswanzenegger to generate a clean NAND, and then I used BootMii to restore it. However, when tried to restore it, it said I needed BootMii on boot2 or else my console could be bricked, so I spent a while looking for that, but I couldn't ever find out how
You dumped your own NAND and restored your NAND? Am I reading this right?
Or like, you restored someone else's NAND to your console?
BootMii is a NAND Backup Creation/Restoration tool. So I don't get why you used "Ohneswanzenegger" to make a NAND when BootMii can do it just fine.

I restarted the Wii and set it up and connected it to the Internet. It asked me if I wanted to enable WiiConnect24 and the Wii Shop, I said yes and confirmed the legal stuff and then it asked if I wanted to go to the shop, I said yes and there was just a black screen. I waited for a minute and then turned off the Wii.
So, you went full loop?

This sounds like a software brick. You somehow managed to corrupt your Wii system's files and that's probably why you can't use certain channels.
Probably IOS got mixed up/deleted/corrupted.

And I'm not sure what would be the necessary steps to fix it as the only thing I can think off is to download the entire Wii System Menu 4.3U/E (depends on your region) and install it. Basically formatting uour Wii and reinstall it altogether.

I would say to post a syscheck, but if the system is already broken a syscheck would only confirm it as I don't know if you can download official IOS'es and reinstall them again.

Edit: Fixed Typos

Reactions: jeannotte

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
BootMii is a NAND Backup Creation/Restoration tool. So I don't get why you used "Ohneswanzenegger" to make a NAND when BootMii can do it just fine.
It generates and reconstructs a generic CLEAN NAND that can be flashed to restore bricked Wiis.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Well, something went wrong with that I guess.
It's the same as reinstalling the Wii "OS" completely?
Prettymuch, it makes a Wii stock again. It can also be used to generate a emuNAND.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over