What does this say?

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, you don't fuck around with lockjaw (tetanus). That shit sets in faster than you realize and the results are not pretty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Opisthotonus_in_a_patient_suffering_from_tetanus_-_Painting_by_Sir_Charles_Bell_-_1809.jpg

Reactions: 1 person

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Look familiar?

That's it exactly, plus there's the scabbard with two symbols and a plain black display stand. Much appreciate actually finding out what it was about, although i'm slightly disappointed it's a Last Samurai reference.

Reactions: 2 people

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, you don't fuck around with lockjaw (tetanus). That shit sets in faster than you realize and the results are not pretty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Opisthotonus_in_a_patient_suffering_from_tetanus_-_Painting_by_Sir_Charles_Bell_-_1809.jpg

Guy in the pic - *I CAME*

Anyways, what is so significant about the writing that it's on all of these swords?

Reactions: 1 person

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

http://en.wikipedia....Bell_-_1809.jpg

Guy in the pic - *I CAME*

Anyways, what is so significant about the writing that it's on all of these swords?
If you actually watch The Last Samurai (which I do suggest, it wasn't a half-bad movie, and I'm tempted to watch it again, now), it will make a lot more sense, but basically it's saying that the sword belongs to a man who is familiar with the ways of both imperial and modern warriors.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I asked my wife - who is Japanese and lived in Japan until she was 30 years old - what it says. This is her translation ...

"Samurai something something long time ago"

:yay:

Reactions: 5 people

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
@[member='Densetsu']
@[member='Phoenix Goddess']
Your assistance is required.
Strange...the notification never popped up for me :blink: Next time, make sure you have at least 255 MP when you summon me :P

Man, I love these kinds of threads. It's so stimulating to analyze cryptic writings of Eastern languages. Too bad I missed the action, but it looks like you figured it out without my help! And I probably would've just deferred to @DS1 (for his linguistics background) and @Hanafuda (really his wife) anyway.

I just Googled the phrase 今古有神奉志士 and got a bunch of links to The Last Samurai, as well.

http://en.wikipedia....Bell_-_1809.jpg
Funny that you brought this up when you did--just last week I had to learn everything there is to know about Clostridium and all of its species (C. botulinum, C. tetani, C. difficile and C. perfringens). Just had a major exam on infectious diseases last Friday :wacko:

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Strange...the notification never popped up for me :blink: Next time, make sure you have at least 255 MP when you summon me :P
*hangs his head in shame and failure*

Man, I love these kinds of threads. It's so stimulating to analyze cryptic writings of Eastern languages. Too bad I missed the action, but it looks like you figured it out without my help!
Strangely enough, yeah. Confucius say: Even blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while.

Funny that you brought this up when you did--just last week I had to learn everything there is to know about Clostridium and all of its species (C. botulinum, C. tetani, C. difficile and C. perfringens). Just had a major exam on infectious diseases last Friday :wacko:
I went to learn about it when everybody was griping at me to get a tetanus booster due to stepping on a very old roofing tack. In retrospect, I probably should have. By the time I stopped to learn about it I would have been severely messed up.

CookiesMilk

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Yes, this phrase is from the movie Last Samurai, I'm not going to take any credit from this as it's an answer from a site, when I Googled it in Chinese
Few users from a question-and-answers site gave the same answer, chosen as the best one too so I reckoned it as a legit's
[It's from a dialogue between 中胜本 and 奥根 which when 奥根 asked 中胜本 what does the phrase means(On a sword) , 胜本 responded and said, "Only the one that can break through the tradition deserves me." This is being expressed by the 'tone' of the sword to motivate the samurai to fight till the end. If one is able to put everything aside, forget oneself, fight all the way to the end, time and luck are to be assured on one's side.]
Though another user say that there's two meaning too, one from the above and another which is, "(This sword)Belongs to the samurai whom had the past and the present merged/joined."

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y23PPkftXIY