• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

what do you guys think about Ataturk?

SaitamX38

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't like Ataturk because he committed many war crimes against Kurdish people in Dersim, where around 13.000 Kurdish people got massacred and sometimes even raped. After that, the Kurdish language and culture were banned, and Ataturk commanded it.

Another reason is that his name is very whitewashed, and many people, especially Europeans who don't know his history, like him because they hate Erdogan.

Another very big negative about Ataturk is that his reforms were evil. There was a revolution where people had to wear western clothing and western shoes. At that time, people were dressed in turbans. People who refused to wear western clothing got sentenced to death by hanging, and people got politically persecuted. Also, he westernized the Turkish people. There is nothing left of the Ottomans in Turkey. The only similarity is Food and music.

It was obvious that Ataturk hated Muslims; he even removed everything religious. At that time, when people passed away, it was common to write an Islamic quote like "May Allah bless him" on the grave, but these writings were removed. I would tell you more, but this is an introduction and not a document.

It is important to mention that this was only in Ataturk's era, but if Ataturk had lived longer, I think Turkey would have ended as a secular dictatorship like in the Soviet Union.

I think people like the PKK or Erdogan are a response to the Ataturk era, and at the beginning, Erdogan's parties had an obvious majority because he had very friendly reforms. because people felt oppressed

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i don't think turkiye would exist as a state today if not for him whether you like it or not
Would have pretty much got "Austria-Hungried".

1689655934083.png
I'm not even Turkish, and even I think that treaty is too harsh. lol

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Is this the president of Turkey that died in 1938? Can't say I have an opinion on someone I'm just now learning existed, but I will save that Wikipedia article for some light reading later. :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yes you did originally say grilled