ROM Hack What do I need to translate a game?

Marter714

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What the topic says. I have Shin Megami Tensei IV Final and I want to try to translate it.
So can someone give me a list of what I need?
Or if there's a tutorial somewhere then just share the link
Thanks in advance! :)

GalladeGuy

Cool and Epic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the files of the language you want to translate to are in the game, just swap those with the ones currently being used. If they aren't you're gonna have to edit each file manually and translate it from scratch.

Marter714

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the files of the language you want to translate to are in the game, just swap those with the ones currently being used. If they aren't you're gonna have to edit each file manually and translate it from scratch.
Okay so I would have to dump the game and check to see if the language files are there, which they probably aren't lol.
Any tips on how I would open and translate the files?

GalladeGuy

Cool and Epic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so I would have to dump the game and check to see if the language files are there, which they probably aren't lol.
Any tips on how I would open and translate the files?
Well first, use Braindump to dump the game's files. Search for it on GBAtemp. For opening the files, it differs from game to game. Can you please tell me what game you have and what language its in, along with what language you want to translate to?

Marter714

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well first, use Braindump to dump the game's files. Search for it on GBAtemp. For opening the files, it differs from game to game. Can you please tell me what game you have and what language its in, along with what language you want to translate to?
The game I want to translate is Shin Megami Tensei IV Final, it's in Japanese and I want to translate it to English

GalladeGuy

Cool and Epic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The game I want to translate is Shin Megami Tensei IV Final, it's in Japanese and I want to translate it to English
There's a good chance the English files are already in the game. Dump it with Braindump and try seeing if the English files are there. If they are, you can just swap the names of the English and Japanese files and repack the romfs. (The romfs is what the game's assets are stored in)

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a good chance the English files are already in the game. Dump it with Braindump and try seeing if the English files are there. If they are, you can just swap the names of the English and Japanese files and repack the romfs. (The romfs is what the game's assets are stored in)
You think Shin Megami Tensei IV Final has already been translated to English and the files are just sitting there in the Japanese ROM?

Marter714

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay I dumped the game and extracted the romfs, but I don't see anything that looks like a language folder or other language files.
Also what program(s) will I need to edit the files so I can translate and edit images.

Aymericard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I also decrypted the game and I'm pretty sure there's no English files.
I tried searching for the game strings in Japanese with a hexeditor though, which has a unicode search function, I tried with ブフ (bufu, a skill in the game) and it matched nothing in the RomFS folder weirdly.
I'll try to look deeper into that.

Marter714

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also decrypted the game and I'm pretty sure there's no English files.
I tried searching for the game strings in Japanese with a hexeditor though, which has a unicode search function, I tried with ブフ (bufu, a skill in the game) and it matched nothing in the RomFS folder weirdly.
I'll try to look deeper into that.
Interesting. Have you located the sprites for characters? I want to see if I can inject Final Lucifer into IV

Aymericard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Last edited by Aymericard,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.