Hacking What damage PS4 HDD takes if it gets too much panic shutdowns?

ItsmeAJ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I tried once but copying trophy data from one account to another showed error while viewing trophy, I guess we need to edit the database or some sorts of adjusting the sealedkey file inside trophy folder for each game which I have no idea.

Last edited by ItsmeAJ,

Garcimak

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Another one bites the dust.
Firecuda 2TB bricked on pro using leeful (or anything else ) after a 6.72 KP

Wasn't aware of this, however, I had never known shutdown on 5.50.
Beware the CE-34335-8 error, Seagate users, backup as you can.
i got screwed by having no profile on the system.
now for a fresh start next time with an internal SSD,
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB or 500GB seems like a good choice.

Last edited by Garcimak,
Reactions: ItsmeAJ

reeven

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Seagate make crappy hardware. Let's begin:
Their hardware was top noch till 2006 or so. Then begun to fail. Then i change to WD drives.
In 2014 bought some seagate 1tb 7200rpm( extremely fast), they begun to died almosy instant. Copy 40gb and in this time hundreds of bads appear.
In ps4 pro 7000/7100/7200 i saw Toshiba( wd), Seagate and Wd. Seagate is the fastest, but prone to fail.
The only WD drive that seems to have some problem on mine is wd 6tb mybook external 3.5", freeze qbittorent or any torrent soft. Without torrent is workin ok. Freeze win 10.
Other 8tb 3.5" WD(hitachi inside) work awsome in torrent apps.
Conclusion: is not jailbreak fault....
ALSO, i haved about 50 shutdowns on 5.05 in 2 years of jailbreak.....now on 6.72 leefull i have 15 ok, 3 bad. Using manual 2.1.3/v10 link.

Last edited by reeven,

ItsmeAJ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Another one bites the dust.
Firecuda 2TB bricked on pro using leeful (or anything else ) after a 6.72 KP

Wasn't aware of this, however, I had never known shutdown on 5.50.
Beware the CE-34335-8 error, Seagate users, backup as you can.
i got screwed by having no profile on the system.
now for a fresh start next time with an internal SSD,
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB or 500GB seems like a good choice.
crucial mx500 is also a good one, on par with 860 evo and a little cheaper, you cant go wrong with either of them

Reactions: Garcimak

OnyXxX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Does KP only will harm to HDD? Will it harm other components? Coz I heard someone burn the HDMI's IC after KP

Egopez

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
this is the same as if you suddenly turn off an old turntable, the needle will stay reading where it left off and nothing else, the real problem is if it was writing data, then if it may have bad sectors

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
that's a good question, because a kp is like pulling the power cable all of a sudden.
Do you think so ?, I’m not “that sure”

this is the same as if you suddenly turn off an old turntable, the needle will stay reading where it left off and nothing else, the real problem is if it was writing data, then if it may have bad sectors
Only “hackers “ who do “the trick” can tell if it’s harming the “system”.

Demix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am on 2tb crucial mx500 and have been kernel panicing over 6 months now. 1 time I had it say insert USB because I didn't turn it off correctly but a reboot got it working again. I never had any other issues like that happen and I do not believe the ssd drives are affected in anyway. Comparing an SSD to HDD is as simple of flipping the switch, the SSD just loses power while an HDD still spins after power loss. So in theory, if you use an SSD, if you fill it up and then just read the data then the data should last a lifetime

Egopez

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I am on 2tb crucial mx500 and have been kernel panicing over 6 months now. 1 time I had it say insert USB because I didn't turn it off correctly but a reboot got it working again. I never had any other issues like that happen and I do not believe the ssd drives are affected in anyway. Comparing an SSD to HDD is as simple of flipping the switch, the SSD just loses power while an HDD still spins after power loss. So in theory, if you use an SSD, if you fill it up and then just read the data then the data should last a lifetime
the only drawback that the ssd does not warn when it breaks, it simply has sudden death

arfgh

Trophies
XP
Country
Armenia
In my case i use a SSD for the storage, And i have a very strange problem lately, that i dont know if it is related to the Kernel Panics.
In 6.72 and using HEN 2.1.3b all works fine, but when i put the console into suspension, and when returning from sleep, i ALWAYS obtain a Kernel Panic.
This never happenend before where that hen always worked fine.

I am not sure 100% the reson are damages on the filesystem made by the KP. In fact i suspect this is happening since i did delete via ftp the 0% trophies about testing games.

But attention, nothing of this is happening if i use GoldHen. Very very strange !!

Someone with this strange behavior in the console ?
Ideas to fix it ?

Last edited by arfgh,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can't say for sure, but the home menu is reloaded when you come back from rest mode. I think it might be almost like it's redeploying hen. goldhen doesn't improve stability, so I don't know why that would work while normal hen doesn't. there's probably nothing wrong with your ssd, it's just the nature of the exploits. they're all unstable, just to varying levels of degree. I've personally never had much luck with rest mode, even on 5.05. I don't play my ps4 at all, so I don't really need to use rest mode. I do the same with my pstv, don't play it, so I don't put it in standby. they say that a kp is more likely if you're coming back to a game from rest mode, so it's suggested you close any game you're playing before going into rest mode. I don't know if this is true or not, just a suggestion by several people including I think @Leeful .

arfgh

Trophies
XP
Country
Armenia
^^ that i explained about problems with hen 2.1.3b happen ALL THE TIMES when coming from sleep to main menu AND/OR to game. Both ways end with KP, where some time ago, that NEVER happened.
For that reason i suspect the trophies i did delete have something to be with this....

Last edited by arfgh,

ctn

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Australia
I must of put my ps4 through 500+ KPs so far.

No issues here. Ssd is a 850 pro.

I never test anything during heavy disk IO.

KP during heavy disk IO may not end well.

Last edited by ctn,

ZeroT21

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KPs are part of the jailbreak experience, I used get the majority of it when coming back midgame from sleep mode, best to exit any app or game before putting the system into sleep mode

Aheago

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Recently somebody calls me a liar about PS4 hard drives getting bad sectors or die completely if it gets too much panic shutdowns by doing jailbreak.

So what's really the hardware's damage from panic shutdowns your ps4s get if not the hard drives?

I thought this was common knowledge with pc components that cutting power suddenly from hard drives a.k.a panic shutdowns while they are running may cause damage and leads to bad sectors which you will have to toss them to trash can and buy new ones eventually.

My 1TB hard drive on Ps4 pro got bad sectors after pretty much panic shutdowns at the early stages of 5.05 jailbreak more than 2 years ago and it's only under 100 hours running according to the report from crystal disk info when I checked it at the time on my PC.

I've been on jailbreak 4.05 with ps4 fat, 4.55 with slim and 5.05-6.72 with a pro just in case anyone asks for my experiences with ps4 jailbreak.

Feedbacks through the topic, will add more as people reply with their experiences:

- https://gbatemp.net/threads/what-da...ch-panic-shutdowns.575060/page-2#post-9243173

- https://gbatemp.net/threads/what-da...ch-panic-shutdowns.575060/page-2#post-9250142

- https://gbatemp.net/threads/what-da...ch-panic-shutdowns.575060/page-2#post-9249467

- https://gbatemp.net/threads/restore-savegames-from-db-backup.577707/

- https://gbatemp.net/threads/what-da...ch-panic-shutdowns.575060/page-3#post-9288601
Your miles may vary obviously but I’ve lost data several times when my ps4 suddenly lost power. To both the internal and external drive leaving them useless until I reinstalled the OS

Stepperer

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
sigh...

HDDs use the centrifugal motion of the platters to generate electricity after losing power. This electricity is needed to park the heads safely onto the parking ramp or parking zone which is coated so as to prevent stiction or other damage to the heads. If the platters are spinning up at full speed, it'll have more than enough juice to park the heads safely. However, if the power goes off and back on in repeated succession the platters may have just started to spin back up in the last power on and haven't yet reached full speed. So the spinning of the platters may not have enough potential energy to power the parking sequence. In such a case the heads often become fused to the platters.

So. Fear not the "panic shutdown", fear brownouts and storms...

Reactions: grabman

Aheago

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sigh...

HDDs use the centrifugal motion of the platters to generate electricity after losing power. This electricity is needed to park the heads safely onto the parking ramp or parking zone which is coated so as to prevent stiction or other damage to the heads. If the platters are spinning up at full speed, it'll have more than enough juice to park the heads safely. However, if the power goes off and back on in repeated succession the platters may have just started to spin back up in the last power on and haven't yet reached full speed. So the spinning of the platters may not have enough potential energy to power the parking sequence. In such a case the heads often become fused to the platters.

So. Fear not the "panic shutdown", fear brownouts and storms...
I’ve never seen someone say so much while still saying so little

/r/iamverysmart

Reactions: ZeroT21

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/9pwfLTaW8J8?si=FaKUzB-OBP92LnUD