What can we learn from gaming?

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Well... As low hanging for i learned English and typing with ten fingers(started with a learning program, but perfected it in gaming).
I'm somewhat learning guitar with Rocksmith 2014.
Puzzle games like sudoku have taught the value of ordering, a structured approach to a problem and creative thinking.
I could go on(hand eye coordination, organizing board game meetings, the value of friendship, connection with my austistic nephew, stress reliever,...)

FitBoyAwe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
I've come to understand that the majority of people in this sub actually consider video games to be seriously harmful to their health. They most likely believe that everyone is in their shoes because they once struggled with addiction—or still do—and through self projection. Fortunately, you don't have to devote all of your free time to something to appreciate it. I concur with the op because I have similar feelings about video games. Games taught me that you can actually improve at something if you keep practicing as long as you are consistent because improvement in video games is typically faster than real-life skills.

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some of the 16-bit RPGs I played when I was a kid introduced me to philosophy and to different ways of thinking.

This might sound silly, but some of them go deep into the nature of good and evil, and when you're a kid these things are still new to you, so they left a big impression on me and in some way shaped my way of thinking. There's a big difference between learning these things through static lectures (like with TV and movies) and directly experiencing the consequences of your actions like you do in games.

Reactions: AncientBoi

Dragons

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it have subtitles learn language , takes time from your life interact with people, become isolated , takes a lot of pataince

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse