ROM Hack Question What are the major causes for having a Switch banned?

Lazzyman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As someone who's installed CFW on my Wii, Wii U, and 3DS, I'm well aware of how Nintendo chooses many different ways to detect modified hardware and levy bans against systems. With the systems mentioned above, I've never worried about being banned because I didn't use piracy software nor did I play hacked games online, and even if I was banned it wouldn't matter because I haven't played an online game on those systems in years.

I haven't kept up with the Switch hacking scene much, just a few headliners here and there, and while this exact question has probably been asked and answered, it's easier for me to understand the answers when I'm asking the question rather than reading answers to a similar question.

For the Switch the only things I'm interested in getting on it through homebrew are things like emulators, save extractors, something to install Smash Bros mods with, etc. Is it currently safe to install basic homebrew/CFW software without a major risk of ban? I know It's not always "safe" when it comes to hacking systems but I'm failing to come up with a better word.

If it is not currently safe, how is the scene looking for when it might become safer?

Thanks for reading and to anyone who replies.

Last edited by Lazzyman,

munky-head

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
Sneezing in the wrong angle next to a Nintendo product.

Jokes aside - Nintendo is one of the harshest and anti-customer companies I've ever seen.
Basically, almost everything puts you in risk of getting banned. I got banned for backing up my savegames - which is a must for me on any console. At that point, I haven't even pirate anything.
You are under a threat of getting banned the moment you launch anything from RCM, so at least be aware of that.

Nintendo are the company who sues 14-year-olds or making a Pokemon homage games... didn't expect anything less from them.

Snomannen_kalle

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
This is an excellent thread about bans, causes of bans, and precautions you can take. I'd recommend reading the first post (or at least parts of it) before modding your system

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: