What are the best storylines on the DS?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by GameSoul, Feb 10, 2009.

Feb 10, 2009
  1. GameSoul
    OP

Member GameSoul youtube.com/variantdevil

United States
    I'm playing games that have been recommended by people all over the internet with a compelling, interesting, and creative storyline, and I've decided to touch up on some of the DS masterpieces. Can anyone be so kind as to give me a list of what their games with the best storylines are, or the list of others if you prefer? They may be old DS games but that doesn't matter to me. Thanks for your support.

2. War

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Phoenix Wright series
    Time Hollow
    FFIV

3. Morgawr

Member Morgawr GBAtemp Fan

Italy
    I found soma bringer to have a nice story even though maybe it's a bit too simple... I liked it a lot.

Other games with a good storyline.. mm...Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 (LOL) XD just kidding, that game's just a "fight till you fill up the book and you win the game" with no story at all, so stay away from that one if you want a good storyline.

I also liked Luminous Arc's story even though it's a huge mess of clich├ęs, the first one being better than the second.
    The World Ends With You (TWEWY) has got a some kind of original story, if you can stand all the J-POP crap and fashion stuff in the game, it's worth playing.

Probably there are some more, but they don't come to my mind at the moment ^^

4. BAHIM Z 360

Member BAHIM Z 360 B-but I'm not a new member :(

Bahrain
    Dragon quest IV DS
    Final fantasy IV DS
    Mugen no frontier super robot taisen OG saga (sadly this game is only japanese [​IMG] but it would be relased in english soon )

i enjoyed these three games alot [​IMG]!!

5. sa1amandra

Member sa1amandra Gazzaro Launching!

Canada
    The story of Neku's confusing life in a game (TWEWY)
    Cecil's Rebellion over Baron (FF4)
    Phoenix Wright + Apollo Justice's reign in the courtroom

6. moogle87

Newcomer moogle87 Advanced Member

United States
    I did enjoy the story for ffta2. I'm not even sure why people bash it in that aspect, well, other than that it's not as good as tactics. Frimelda's quest chain just made me sad. I wanted to crush Addel the first time I met her. Watching Veis cast vanish for her first turn every time she showed up made me laugh. The game made me like the characters. That should count for something, right? Then again, I can't understand why people are recommending FFIV's story. Unless you enjoy how someone can strap a bomb to themselves, jump off an airship into a place that's covered mostly in lava, blow up and survive.

I also liked Professor layton's story. Sure, the villagers give you math homework for no reason at all, but at the end you really respect the man in the tophat.

You could also go with Trace memory and Hotel Dusk.

The DS has many, many tactics games. The good side about it is that those type of games usually tell a good story. Bad side, they take such a long time to complete.

7. Goshogun1

Member Goshogun1 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Phoenix Wright series. Hotel Dusk, and Trace Memory. Those stick out to me.

8. GameSoul
    OP

Member GameSoul youtube.com/variantdevil

United States
    Hehe, I've played most of the games mentioned and many of you are right, they do take a while to complete. The ones I couldn't beat or just lost interest in the gameplay, I had looked up on wiki or some other gaming site. I stopped playing some of the games mentioned but for the storyline I'll try my best to complete. Keep the games coming! [​IMG]

9. Curley5959

Member Curley5959 CCC Member!

Australia
    I liked Custom Robo Arena.. The story was really good..

Also Pokemon Ranger SoA

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Rings Of Fate.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon

Those are really the only games that kept me going till the end of them.. [​IMG] I wish I could play them again but its not the same as when you do it the first time.. [​IMG]

10. hova1

Member hova1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    except Phoenix Wright i don't think there are much games with good storylines. Most RPG games have a cheesy storyline.

11. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    I find it very weird all the games I've played, none of them seem to have something that really "Woah, or wow'd" me.

FF4's story, personally, was good, not great.
    Phoenix Wright series is very interesting, but the stories are always just murder mysteries, and doesn't really make me think that it's THEBESTEVER. Again, good, not great.
    So far, in Soma Bringer, the story feels.... rather weak. No offence, since it's a fun game, but the story and some of the characters really feel weak in terms of a few things.
    I guess TWEWY has made the most inpact, even though the first week was pretty meh. Joshua probably did the most impact, ha.

Of course, I enjoyed every one of those games, but I guess my standard is just too high, when it comes down to storylines and plots.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot. Advanced Wars: Days of Ruin. Despite some hating it for not having a lot of content, I absolutely loved the darker, and much more serious tone.

12. ZonMachi

Member ZonMachi GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Remember
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

I would say Chrono Trigger had a great storyline.

13. Mr.Mister

Member Mr.Mister GBAtemp Regular

United States
    +1 Chrono Trigger
    +1 Final Fantasy IV
    +1 Final Fantasy Tactics A2
    +1 Advance Wars: Days of Ruin (That game almost made me cry.)

14. Nocturnius

Member Nocturnius GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Final Fantasy IV

The World Ends With You. great game. unique story and OMG i did not see that coming plots lol. and jpop is not crap to who ever said that -____- fits the game perfectly. it takes place in japan what do you expect? english rock? [​IMG] lol

15. Raven Darkheart

Member Raven Darkheart The Radioactive Flamer

United States
    soma bringer had a fairly straightforward story with a very nice wrinkle

16. Leon1977

Newcomer Leon1977 Advanced Member

Singapore
    aside from the more obvious ones,
    HOTEL DUSK and Prof LAYTON are good choices....

17. Taziz

Member Taziz GBAtemp Regular

Lithuania
    Phoenix Wright has a good storyline, since all the PW series are linked some how
    Advance Wars: Days of Ruin has a nice story that I liked too

18. Morgawr

Member Morgawr GBAtemp Fan

Italy
    The JPOP style and the pin fashion stuff was not essential for the game that does have a good storyline (I acknowledge that). The rest of the content though seemed just stuck together to appeal the thousands of fans that are fanatics of JPOP and attract teenagers (girls too) with fashion pins.. OMG IT SHINES! >_> bah
    I think it dumbed down the game a bit and it made it less enjoyable... to me at least, since I'm a person that HATES J-POP and playing a great game for hours with the same music in my ears is just... annoying.