Gaming What are the advantages of a clean, untrimmed ROM?

vanillakokakola

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an SCDS2, so I guess now I can run clean, untrimmed ROMs without a problem. I've seen some people on the hunt for clean, untrimmed ROMs of some games, and it made me wonder what the advantages are? Why would someone prefer clean untrimmed ROMs over patched and/or trimmed ROMs?

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
usually trimmed roms mess up wifi play

i.e. if you dnt even play online trim your roms, or if you do just leave those that you play online untrimmed
smile.gif

Nick™

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The only reason you wont use a clean ROM is on the case that this ROM has a antipiracy system. In this case, you will need to patch that ROM, so it can have some glitches, or not. Just some few ROM's will need to be patched. On my flashcard, just 2 ROM's are patched.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will assume you know what trimming a ROM actually does.

When a ROM has a patch out for it, you will need the clean untrimmed ROM to be able to patch it. Patching programs won't patch a pre-trimmed ROM, but they may trim it after patching.

Some computer DS emulators may require an untrimmed ROM to run properly. I don't exactly know why.

Some trimmers do a bad job of trimming and will bork the WiFi. NDSTokyoTrim is what I ALWAYS use to trim my ROMs and I've never had a problem with WiFi after trimming. It looks for the WiFi code and will not remove it when it trims the ROM.

The ONLY advantage trimmed ROMs give you is massive savings on disk space in your flashcart. I ALWAYS trim my ROMs on my flashcart, but I also keep a clean backup for use on the computer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sjy9nc5QwBY