What are the advantages of a clean, untrimmed ROM?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by vanillakokakola, Nov 18, 2010.

1. vanillakokakola
    OP

Newcomer vanillakokakola Advanced Member

United States
    I have an SCDS2, so I guess now I can run clean, untrimmed ROMs without a problem. I've seen some people on the hunt for clean, untrimmed ROMs of some games, and it made me wonder what the advantages are? Why would someone prefer clean untrimmed ROMs over patched and/or trimmed ROMs?

2. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    usually trimmed roms mess up wifi play

i.e. if you dnt even play online trim your roms, or if you do just leave those that you play online untrimmed [​IMG]

3. Nick™

Newcomer Nick™ Member

Brazil
    The only reason you wont use a clean ROM is on the case that this ROM has a antipiracy system. In this case, you will need to patch that ROM, so it can have some glitches, or not. Just some few ROM's will need to be patched. On my flashcard, just 2 ROM's are patched.

4. vanillakokakola
    OP

Newcomer vanillakokakola Advanced Member

United States
    Perfect explanation - thanks!

5. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    IIRC - trimmed 'DSi enhanced' (not DSi only) ROMs can also cause problems

6. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    I will assume you know what trimming a ROM actually does.

When a ROM has a patch out for it, you will need the clean untrimmed ROM to be able to patch it. Patching programs won't patch a pre-trimmed ROM, but they may trim it after patching.

Some computer DS emulators may require an untrimmed ROM to run properly. I don't exactly know why.

Some trimmers do a bad job of trimming and will bork the WiFi. NDSTokyoTrim is what I ALWAYS use to trim my ROMs and I've never had a problem with WiFi after trimming. It looks for the WiFi code and will not remove it when it trims the ROM.

The ONLY advantage trimmed ROMs give you is massive savings on disk space in your flashcart. I ALWAYS trim my ROMs on my flashcart, but I also keep a clean backup for use on the computer.

7. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    That was only a problem at first, the latest versions of popular trimmers don't mess them up anymore.