Homebrew What app is best to play .mkv files?

dexter222

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
madtamski said:
Yeah, but for HD we're talking at least 2000Kb/s (or around 250KB/s) and that's a very low-end encoded 720p file!

Can the wii's WiFi connection handle that!?

The Wii can't do 720p - 480p is it. There is no need to stream it anything better. The PS3 Media Server mentioned earlier is a highly configurable UPnP server for your PC. TVersity is another... it will let you play your Hulu queue through your UPnP client. It's quite low demand. There is another server, play on, that will let you play your Netflix queue - it's another UPnP server for your PC... And you can run all 3 of these at the same time
smile.gif

You shouldn't be looking at the Wii as a high end solution - or even a medium end for that matter. Being able to play all these formats is often usless because the wii doesn't have enough horsepower to do it much of the time and the streaming speed isn't the limiting factor. It would be more appropriate to view the wii as a low end solution of convenience - in other words - a UPnP client... Weather it can play files from a hard drive, sd card, or even a DVD is less relevant than using it as a UPnP client and nothing else.

Someone mentioned retiring their xbox - no way it's time to do that yet
smile.gif
- I still have 3 in use with XBMC.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
another_waster said:
How did it go? Every film I get these days seems to be mkv!!! Its VERY annoying!

Especially as they won't work in windows without fucking up the sound...

But TBH why bother with the HD downloads? I can't tell the difference between movies in HD and SD movies ripped from a HD source. Same for TV shows. The only thing that realy looks better in HD is games.

EDIT: But making sure they are ripped from HD really does make a difference.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you might as well be asking if somebody can port VLC to run on your SNES to play these movies. it doesnt matter how much you want it to happen or how many different ways you ask. the wii was not made to play these files. using VLC, mplayer, windows media player, XBMC, ect on the wii wont help. i dont know how to dumb that down any more.

no.

cala

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to use the program handbrake to reformat my mkv videos so that they play smoothly on my Wii via MPlayerCE. So far, changing the video coding options and FPS hasnt come to my desired result. I hope changes to RF will bear fruit.

jojones88

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you could also try encoding with MPEG4 (ffmpeg) on handbrake instead of H.264. basically xvid....

H264 over 480 is a gamble due to the Wii's hardware limitations.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: it has good games, just not enough of them +1